Author Topic: vw type swing axle golf cart  (Read 8093 times)

RC51 Rhino

Re: vw type swing axle golf cart
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2009, 07:49:57 PM »
No change in toe...must be an optical illusion? Everything is lined up perfectly in that area. I moved the mount on the upright today and now it's good enough for what I'll be doing with it. Now just gotta get the axles put back together and the F-N-R box mounted before I can set up my shocks. Thanks for the extra eyes guys...always seems to open mine!

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2009, 10:25:46 PM »
I picked up a 1989 'shuttle-craft' golf cart the other day...seems like a cool little cart. Lifted, bumpers, psuedo cage and a new set of off roady type tires. Not enough power (in my best Tim the toolman voice!)...out comes the 8 horse Honda and in goes a '94 EX500 engine! Made the cart really cool! Not gonna let any one drive it...until I get some help on the suspension.

I'll have to post up some pics the next couple of days so all can see what I'm up against. The 'trailing arms' are at least 45* to the ground and only about 12" long! Being a swing axle type rear end, it has a horrible time of what I can only describe as bump steer. Get on the gas and the tires toe out...hit the brakes and the car gets pretty hairy as the tires toe in. Looks like probably 3 inches or better of swing from in to out!

I have the stuff to legthen the arms and mount them solid to the frma, I'm just looking for some input on what you guys would do. This isn't supposed to be a replacement for my 'rhino' build, but something I can cruise the beach in Rocky Point with or drive it to the store to get beer. The occasional trip out of doors (all desert here, some dunes...maybe) would be great if it handles well enough.

What did you mean here then??????????
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

RC51 Rhino

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2009, 11:40:40 PM »
That was before I did anything to the cart at all. The guy who lifted it in the first place legnthened the arms and the angle they were at caused a huge swing in toe and the coils were so soft the tires were scrubing away on the pavement.

Now I have the Teryx a-arms and rear shocks with uprights from a 1st gen MR2. It really looks good now that I have the uprights in the correct orientation to the a-arms. I had to move the top bushing in toward the frame by about 7/8" to get it right. Sooner or later I'll get my parts built right the first time!

RC51 Rhino

« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2009, 10:08:29 PM »
 Progress tonight. Got the a-arms mounted and now working to get the frame beefed up for the cage, shock mounts and FNR mounts.

Shocks and a-arms are Kawasaki Teryx, Toyota MR2 uprights, Type 1 cvs and axles. 26" Rhino tires on 'rattlesnake' wheels.

Got my paddles and skates yesterday! Mounted on DID red label wheels.

Offline Yummi

• Grumpy, Sneezey and Dopey all rolled into one.
  • Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2009, 10:51:14 PM »
Looking fun.  Ready for shakedown on the 17th at the well? 
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 10:54:45 PM by Yummi »
I like things that move.   Pretty much limits me to cars and strippers

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

RC51 Rhino

« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2009, 06:39:28 AM »
Sounds good to me. We are setting up for a trip to Crown King on the 10th. They are having an offroad trip from Lake Pleasant to a chile cook off in Crown king. $20 a person for the tasting and the trip is free of course. We still doing the dune trip on halloween? What's the plan, location there?

Offline Yummi

• Grumpy, Sneezey and Dopey all rolled into one.
  • Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2009, 08:11:44 AM »
Far as I know Halloween is still a go.  Guess in some respects it depends on the 17th. 

Glamis looks to be the place.  I have been invited to attend an event called "Horsepower Wars"  Racing for cash with 1000hp+ rails.  The list of cars is pretty impressive.   

I have volunteered a flatbed trailer and a few tow straps as there will be carnage. 

I like things that move.   Pretty much limits me to cars and strippers

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

RC51 Rhino

« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2009, 05:24:42 PM »
I'll bring the cummins and another flat bed and can help out. What 'well' are you talking about? When I first read your post, I thought you had mentioned Sycamore (duh?) not sure why.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 10:40:59 PM by RC51 Rhino »

RC51 Rhino

« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2009, 10:36:39 PM »
Got the rear suspension done enough for a test ride in the next couple of days. FNR is in, needs on tab put in and then chain and brakes....ready to roll! My camera is screwed so I'll get a lot when my bro-in-law comes by. Hoping to get some good video, who can I send it to for sprucing it up?

RC51 Rhino

« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2009, 10:50:11 PM »
 So the trip to Crown King.... ummm, yeah. Not a 'trail' to take a 2 wheel drive ANYTHING on! I made it the whole 28 miles with only a bent tie rod (twice!!) and a burnt up clutch. Now looks like I may either replace the clutch or opt for the 1200 Bandit motor from a buddy down the street. The whole front end is coming off and getting rebuilt now so a motor swap won't be a huge deal. Not sure on the rest of the drive train though. With the EX500 I can do burn outs with 27" Mudlite XTRs...I worry the 1200 might break sh!t!

RC51 Rhino

« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2009, 08:52:32 PM »
 So got the rear done....not complete in this pic

It worked sweet on the trail...need to take some preload out of the shocks, more pics later.

Now, I've gone and done it...my bro-in-law said it's going to end up like the RC51 car. I can't help myself! Gotta hack 'em up!

Just not gonna make to the test date this weekend...sorry Yummi! When we meet, there may even be a '01 GSXR600 engine in it for it's 1st trip to the dunes.

RC51 Rhino

« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2009, 07:57:55 PM »
 Today's progress...gotta get some hard ware and some tube for the steering shaft and tie rods. Looking into a 42" black and grey 'pleather' bench seat tomorrow also.

I like how the new frame sticks out from the 'glass'. Looks kind of like the old manx cars to me.

RC51 Rhino

« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2009, 09:18:41 PM »
 Dune trip was good 'til Saturday afternoon....destroyed a bearing in the FNR wasting the cart for the rest of the weekend. Got it fixed and now I'm wondering about the strength of the input shaft.

I have now installed a 2001 GSXR600 engine...it's rated at 103 HP!!! More than doble what I had before. Should be fun REALLY kicking the sh!t out of the SXSs!!! Back to the input shaft...it's only 3/4" diameter with a 3/16" key, am I gonna have a problem? I could find someone to machine one that is 1" diameter with a spline or 1/4" key for a sprocket, I've got the room only needing to replace 2-3/4" bearings with 1" dia.

RC51 Rhino

« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2009, 08:40:43 PM »
Bump for some input...Bueller, Bueller...anyone?

chrishallett83

« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2009, 03:08:59 PM »
Use it 'til it breaks, then get a bigger better one made. With a spline on it. If you get one made out of that 300M steel The Edge make their axles out of, it should take a beating.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal