Author Topic: Awsome Idaho trip with a kicker.  (Read 2758 times)

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
Awsome Idaho trip with a kicker.
« on: August 25, 2019, 03:31:40 PM »
Well, all good things must come to an end.  Idaho trip was a blast.  Had a bunch of good very fast runs with the dune Goons from the BL m camp, and of corse, Jerry led a few fast runs too. Had a timing belt problem first run on Jerry's car.  Had that fixed ASAP then I had cooling issues, these things run much better with the radiator full. That said the trip up was not without problems.  First fuel stop I found a brake line had broken and I was losing fluid from the trailer brakes. then there were four stops to fix blown boost tube hoses on my truck. and a stop to fix the brake wiring on Jerry's truck. Still was worth the trip to the Idaho sand.  Then came the grand slam, running back my truck was having trouble pulling the trailer let alone a hill.  Blew off another boost tube and luckily I had bought a stock tube while I was in camp from our very good friend Chirs.  Back on the road and cooking it out of Rock Springs WY on I-80 at mile marker 140 I blew a hole in a piston on my 3500 Dodge.  I had Fire coming out of the tailpipe. the good news is I have tow on the Dodge but found out I nad no tow on the trailer. They wanted 500$ to tow the trailer back to Rock Springs.  So jerry and I started to brainstorm and came up with a plan.  I set and waited on the tow truck to come out and get the truck 1:00 am in the morning buy the way while Jerry took his trailer back to Rock Springs and parked it in a lot with Sylvia to sit and watch it.  Meanwhile, Jerry returned to retrieve my trailer to take back to Rock Springs. The tow driver was a great guy and towed my truck back to the same lot. So here we sit in a parking lot in Idaho Springs waiting for a truck to haul the 3500 back home.  And the best part is my very good friend Jerry Cass SandSaviour has volunteered to come back to Rock Springs after taking his trailer home to Kansas to tow mine home.   This could keep me from getting to LS for the fall get together. 

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Online DeepBusch69

Re: Awsome Idaho trip with a kicker.
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2019, 03:44:01 PM »
Glad you guys had a good time, but sorry for all the truck trouble.  You guys might want to turn down the hair dryers just a little though   :m  Let me know if there is anything I can help with, but I don't have the big rigs like you guys do. 

Online DeepBusch69

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2019, 03:57:30 PM »
Wait a minute, we got a problem.  NO ICE CREAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2019, 05:46:10 PM »
I agree the big hair dryers have caused both you and Jerry a lot of grief. Jerry is a saint for sure! Budlight is nominated for ice cream duty!!!!!
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2019, 07:38:49 AM »
well fast.....glad you all had a great trip! this is truck # what? time for a class 6 or 8!   ;)
Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2019, 08:28:23 AM »
I agree the big hair dryers have caused both you and Jerry a lot of grief. Jerry is a saint for sure! Budlight is nominated for ice cream duty!!!!!

Big hair dryers are where it's at.  Something else went wrong to cause the problem.  Plugged injector, low fuel pressure, the truck never ran over 1100 EGT's but was sluggish and would not boost more than 35/40 PSI.  All new injectors last December.

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2019, 08:36:47 AM »
well fast.....glad you all had a great trip! this is truck # what? time for a class 6 or 8!   ;)

Maybe a class 6 but no 8 for sure.  Would like to step up to a 550 Dodge and put my new to be built 6.7 into.   Talking with Roames9 about building me a short block and fire ringing the head.  Something with better pistons and will live at 55 PSI all day. 

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2019, 09:31:00 AM »

Maybe a class 6 but no 8 for sure.  Would like to step up to a 550 Dodge and put my new to be built 6.7 into.   Talking with Roames9 about building me a short block and fire ringing the head.  Something with better pistons and will live at 55 PSI all day.

;D  i read live at 55 psi all day then decoded to fl70 crew cab with 8.1 cummins or 500 hp cat.   ;D

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2019, 09:34:04 AM »
Lots cheaper to just run a stock truck and take just a little longer to get there...................BUT!!!!!!! I do understand the addiction.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2019, 11:40:56 AM »
so i wonder if they plan on lowering comp 1/2 point to help sustain extended 55 psi. thats a lot of heat to get rid of as well especially towing that load. no doubts the build is out there.  your def hauling a heavy load too. what does jerry scale in at , truck and trailer loaded?

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2019, 12:00:11 PM »
Lots cheaper to just run a stock truck and take just a little longer to get there...................BUT!!!!!!! I do understand the addiction.

Yes Fab, It is an addiction.  There is no other feeling than to hit a big hill and watch the boost needle kick swing up to 55 PSI and the truck rocket up the hill at the speed you have the Cruze set at.   All that with a 20000-pound trailer hooked to the back.

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2019, 12:04:46 PM »
so i wonder if they plan on lowering comp 1/2 point to help sustain extended 55 psi. thats a lot of heat to get rid of as well especially towing that load. no doubts the build is out there.  your def hauling a heavy load too. what does jerry scale in at , truck and trailer loaded?

Jerry's truck and trailer scale way under mine.   He is about 19000 loaded. 

Offline Enemy

• F*CK NA i lOvE BooST
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2019, 07:28:08 PM »

Yes Fab, It is an addiction.  There is no other feeling than to hit a big hill and watch the boost needle kik swing up to 55 PSI and the truck rocket up the hill at the speed you have the Cruze set at.   All that with a 20000-pound trailer hooked to the back.

Say huh? HOly batshit crazy boost fast!!
And you wonder why you be taking motors out! I don't think you have fuel problem, I think you have a BOOST problem!!I didn't think a Cummons pistons and bottom end could take that kind of cylinder pressure for THAT long...  :D
Got a good crew backing ya, that is always the best on a long trip!
And what the hell is it with Rock Springs?? That's where I ate a fuel pump on the last trip to the dunes..

"If the hate of men could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world."   ~Nikola Tesla

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2019, 08:10:21 PM »

Yes Fab, It is an addiction.  There is no other feeling than to hit a big hill and watch the boost needle kik swing up to 55 PSI and the truck rocket up the hill at the speed you have the Cruze set at.   All that with a 20000-pound trailer hooked to the back.

Say huh? HOly batshit crazy boost fast!!
And you wonder why you be taking motors out! I don't think you have fuel problem, I think you have a BOOST problem!!I didn't think a Cummons pistons and bottom end could take that kind of cylinder pressure for THAT long...  :D
Got a good crew backing ya, that is always the best on a long trip!
And what the hell is it with Rock Springs?? That's where I ate a fuel pump on the last trip to the dunes..

50/55 psi normally last less than a minute and then it drops back to a respectable 40/45 and climes on over the hill.  You might be right that I had a fuel problem.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2019, 07:29:25 AM »
of course i am not pulling 20k plus lb toyhauler. inm sitting closer to 11k lbs loaded.  mine will spike 35 ish psi boost on a hill then drop back to 25 ish for the rest of the climb.  now i have another set of tunes i have started running that seem to do a little better on mpg's and egts. in those tunes i only spike at 28 psi then level off down to 22 to 24 for the rest of the climb. crazy thing is with the cruise set i dont lose ground speed in either tune. just lose mpgns lol and the agressive tune will increase speed before it levels out. this is on the trip to ls and the hills along the way.  i cannot imagine another 200 hp bump at 55 psi boost lol that is a testiment to the cummins engine.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 07:36:08 AM by dsrace »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal