Author Topic: Go-kart I modified for my daughter  (Read 2578 times)

LiveWire

Go-kart I modified for my daughter
« on: August 02, 2010, 09:34:46 AM »
This thing has a 43cc engine on it. It is basically a weed wacker engine. It was originally 1 wheel drive and geared way too high. I wanted it slow enough that I could run as fast as it could go. I removed the left undriven wheel and axle. I replaced the the right wheel with a sprocket. I extended the frame adding a solid axle, wider tires and a better brake. Reduction is 5:1 lower than the original gearing. The engine can wind out more though so speed was reduced maybe 1/2 with me on it. With my daughter on it, it is RPM limited, not power limited. It hits top speed almost instantly though. I also added a floor pan. She started out just driving mostly in circles, but she figured out drifting on her own so I have to get a seat belt in it and add a cage. I will also add a remote kill so I won't have worry if I can catch her on foot.

Online fabr

• Administrator
Re: Go-kart I modified for my daughter
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 11:06:32 AM »
Cool,a new off roader. A simple braced hoop would do wonders for safety.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

LiveWire

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 12:14:27 PM »
The bar on the side is 5/8". I have a bunch of 5/8" tubing and have that size die. It will most likely end up with a full cage made out of that which looks similar to something on a larger buggy. It is partly for looks and partly to strengthen the chassis.

masternate42

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2010, 07:09:35 PM »
You should get a video of her driving it around!  That way I can convince my wife to let me make something like that!  By the way, how old is your daughter?

LiveWire

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2010, 08:15:36 AM »
I have videos in 3gp format. She is 5.

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2010, 11:49:24 AM »
It's cool but add the cage stat!

As a kid I got distracted and almost ran into the back of a parked car.  Bumper height = head height.  Helmet would not have helped.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal