Author Topic: reg's bitza  (Read 2551 times)

reg

reg's bitza
« on: April 11, 2009, 05:50:42 PM »
here's some pics of my buggy, part pirahna, cuda & xrv, all finished except for
the drive train which is beginning to give me the s*$^s.

I am seriously thinking of going back to uni's, in 5 years of running uni's i never had a
problem except for the slop in the triangular slip joint.

Power ? plant is the little TRX 850 which has plenty of grunt for me, being a skinny little bloke

Mongoose, i read on this forum that you were after high angle uni's, how did you get on ?

hope you like the thing...Reg

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
Re: reg's bitza
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2009, 06:15:50 PM »
Very nice job on the Car Reg!  Fit and finish is superb.  Are the CV's exceeding their limits on travel? 

reg

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2009, 06:42:21 PM »
Thanks mate, yeah i think so 22 degrees

SPEC

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2009, 08:50:40 AM »
Welcome Reg,
Nice car

trojan

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2009, 09:27:15 AM »
Reg, can you preload the springs to bring the angle down to 20?
If you do go uni's have you considered using 6 spline shaft instead of the triangular tube for slip joints?

reg

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2009, 03:04:21 PM »
Thanks Spec
Trojan i don't really want to lower the back any more, i've taken about 15 mm
out of the shocks allready, with the xrv front arms, they sit pretty high in the nose.

Yeah mate, 6 spline at the least, i'm going to a tail shaft shop tomorrow to get a price
on having proper jack shafts made up, i've been reading heaps about cv's & uni's & from what i've read a good uni setup is not all bad.

If any one out there with experience on the cv, uni matter please let me know your thoughts.

Reg

Mongoose

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2009, 03:27:09 AM »

Mongoose, i read on this forum that you were after high angle uni's, how did you get on ?

I haven't pursued it too much mate, I did source the parts I need from Spicer, but the guy was a real jerk and wanted to charge me a fortune.

It's in my future plans  ;D

reg

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2009, 07:56:04 PM »
got the drive shafts sorted out, 1310 series cross joints & hardy spicer 16 spilne slip joint.

Offline Jerry

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2009, 08:25:29 PM »
NICE work Reg, i like the color ;D

Admin

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2009, 10:03:24 PM »
When is the test run? Looks really good...

reg

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2009, 03:26:02 PM »
had a bit of a run in it the weekend before last & it went well, very happy for its first run,the only problems i had were a sloppy rear upright bolt & a shitty wheel bearing, both have now been fixed

artie on edge

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2009, 04:13:36 PM »
had a bit of a run in it the weekend before last & it went well, very happy for its first run,the only problems i had were a sloppy rear upright bolt & a shitty wheel bearing, both have now been fixed

Gday Reg, I have watched a couple of cars using this upright have wheel bearing probs. Looked into it a bit and it seems that the supplier was using cheap chinese bearings and they had so little grease that he reckons he fixed the problem by removing the seal and packing them. (not gonna mention names here).

I found quality japanese made bearings in my town that were cheaper than the ones  the supplier was selling. I pulled one apart and found that these were chocka full of grease and had a steel sheilded seal (which you couldnt remove without wrecking... :-[) I think the motto is check around and always go quality. He may save a heap by buying crap in bulk but we dont really need to do that when quality is cheaper than his retail.

This post is assuming you are using the 120mm bearing.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal