Author Topic: Someone finally posted about significant testing of a Honda transmission  (Read 5964 times)

whitedragon64

Hi Gents Chris here answer to some questions
Its a std Busa running through the Honda trans
In Minibuggy Forum I have posted a breif description and photo's of the set up
I'd be confident to run the final set up behind say a 600 GSXR Buggy weighing in @ 400 Kg's (880lbs)

Its a hard game we play What should break doesn't and what we believe is bullet proof drops it's guts all over the track

Chris

Spec

Good to hear from you White dragon
Welcome to DTS

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?

Its a hard game we play What should break doesn't and what we believe is bullet proof drops it's guts all over the track

Chris

Thats for sure  rofl  While a busa or any bike motor makes way less torque than the honda that it was bolted too, putting it in a buggy for dunes/desert is like rev'in that civic and dropping the clutch all day.  It wouldn't last either.  There is one(or was) in a turbo busa over on MBN on his 3rd season.  See if I can find.

Welcome whitedragon, those pics/step were nice.  Really liked the gear setup.
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

whitedragon64

Thanks  8)

LiveWire

The throw out bearing support was not designed for continual side load, but it does have to handle some. When the clutch disk is not centered, it puts strain on the support until things align. That load is bending. Adding the support on the outside now puts the load in double shear. If things are mis aligned, it will tear things up, but you can't tell alignment from pictures. I think if there was mis alignment, it would be tearing up the gear drive from the motor to the trans. I think the work that was done looks fantastic. Even with double shear, the shaft could be bending between the bearings causing a mis-alignment. A way to get around that is to put a coupler like a lovejoy in there and make it so all the side load is on one side of the coupler with the input shaft connected to the other. So even more work and money to try and get to something that might work. The question before was if Arrowhead was abusive enough to give one a good test. Arrowhead also was not having the chain issues that other's have had. whitedragon64 did have chain issues and solved those. So I personally am leaning toward that Arrowhead did not drive his car hard and whitedragon64 did.

There are people out there still driving 2000 Drakart Formula Crosses with the original style axles. I blew 2 in 2 riding trips before upgrading to the newer stronger axles. Alain Fricker told me I drove the car the way it was meant to be driven. While there are people running these axles without breaking them, I would not suggest using the same axles to build a new car with similar power. It is one thing to use the Honda trans in the Honda car until it breaks then think about what can be done to make it stronger. It is another thing to build something from scratch using it if it is even close to the edge of handling the abuse.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
+1
BTW,a LJ won't do.
 ;) ;D ;D
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Enemy

• F*CK NA i lOvE BooST

Your the new DTS breaker of shit SPIDER MONKEY
I OFFICIALLY GIVE YOU MY TITLE

WOOHOO!
"If the hate of men could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world."   ~Nikola Tesla

LiveWire

Would nailing the brakes at around 30 and twitching the wheel to spin the car around then going from brakes to full throttle while still sliding backwards be easier or harder than things Enemy does? I know CV joints are not particularly fond of suddenly going from heavy load in one direction to the other.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
i'D SAY DEFINITELY YOUR EXAMPLE IS WORSE THAN ENEMIES WHEELIES.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Enemy

• F*CK NA i lOvE BooST
Would nailing the brakes at around 30 and twitching the wheel to spin the car around then going from brakes to full throttle while still sliding backwards be easier or harder than things Enemy does? I know CV joints are not particularly fond of suddenly going from heavy load in one direction to the other.

Been practicing that move on the blacktop in front of my buddys house... Definitely hard on stuff, but oh so fun! Really pisses the poe-poe off  nono
"If the hate of men could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world."   ~Nikola Tesla

Online dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
what he does on the sand is light duty compared to what he does on troy's off road track or his personal dirt road course at grandpa's let alone on the pavement at his house or where ever he is at, including his drag racing cars and built diesel's on the highway!!
 ;) ;D

just out of curiosity I wonder what the back lash on the r&p and gears is in that stock honda trans?  I wonder if the trans was set up with some kind of kush puck on input shaft? 
Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

Online dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
whitedragon64
I have to give you credit for the work you did do! nice job.     I know short chains cook fast and 630 cooks a lot faster than 530. what does that honda trans weigh ready to bolt up to the busa?
maybe if you shored up the back lash on the internals ie, R&P , gears etc and added a kushion drive on the input or center gear this may help but only time will tell if it will work, that's if you want to continue to spend the money to r&d it!!
Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

LiveWire

Looking more at the setup over at MBN, it looks like he had the bearing holder all mounted on the shaft then bolted that to the support plate so that the shaft was centered. It is a good way to do it to get things lined up. I also see the picture of the rotational sheared shaft and think that it is simply too much torque, likely during shock load, that twisted it off. Maybe gearing up into it and using a lower ratio ring and pinion so everything spins faster with less torque would help. But at some point, the cost of the patches exceed the benefit of the trans being available and cheap.

trans man

I'm starting to come to the conclusion that some people around here think I'm hard on stuff  ???

I luv you guys  rofl
:m :m :m :m

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal