Author Topic: Fuel filter question  (Read 2175 times)

Offline Yummi

• Grumpy, Sneezey and Dopey all rolled into one.
  • Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
Fuel filter question
« on: July 18, 2010, 07:01:51 AM »
I have a fule filter on the pressure side of the fuel pump - mounted in a well, crappy fashion with zip ties.  I also have one before the pump.  No real issues there. 

After the upcoming night ride, I am planing on pulling the motor and having the transmission gone through just so I know it is all fresh.  Figure that would be a good time to rework the silly filter. 

Will this filter work after the pump?  Figure it is about 90#'s of pressure or so.  Also, how the heck do you tell what size AN fitting you have?  To mount this in a proper fashion it will require two 90's and some longer fuel line.  (I will have to turn it 90* from current to have filter mount to frame rail)

If it helps, it appears to be an 11/16" fitting, although for the life of me I cannot find an 11/16" open end wrench. 

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/6-Inch-Aluminum-Fuel-Filter-Stainless-Element,1667.html?parentDisplayId=1657
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 07:10:40 AM by Yummi »
I like things that move.   Pretty much limits me to cars and strippers

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

Offline Yummi

• Grumpy, Sneezey and Dopey all rolled into one.
  • Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
Re: Fuel filter question
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010, 07:15:55 AM »
Wait, did some digging - might have answered my own questions.....  Looks like -6

I like things that move.   Pretty much limits me to cars and strippers

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 09:13:12 AM »
IMO ,a good paper element type filter such as you linked ,used BEFORE the pump is the only filter needed. A filter after the pump is ,IMO, useless.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010, 09:29:14 AM »
IMO ,a good paper element type filter such as you linked ,used BEFORE the pump is the only filter needed. A filter after the pump is ,IMO, useless.

I am hearing that you should only use a screen filter before the pump.  That a paper fuel filter will suck out and plug the pump and injectors.  Just something I read on another site.  and no I do not believe everything that I read or hear.  kick  Just saying

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2010, 09:32:12 AM »
I've never had any issue in 30+ years. Just don't use a junk element.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2010, 09:36:41 AM »
I mean IF it's going to suck shit through/from the filter it will just as easily(actually more easily as a pump is more efficient at pumping than pulling) push it through to the injectors. I see no difference except that a filter placed before the pump will protect the pump where a screen affords almost no pump protection.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2010, 01:33:11 PM »
I am hearing that you should only use a screen filter before the pump.  That a paper fuel filter will suck out and plug the pump and injectors.  Just something I read on another site.  and no I do not believe everything that I read or hear.  kick  Just saying

Might be something to that Fast.  As most any late model car has screen before fuel pump and filter on the pressure side. 
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2010, 04:32:46 PM »
keep the rocks out of your tank guys ;D ;D and also the pickup should not at the very bottom either. Need somewhere for any small amount of condensation/water to pool without entering fuel system.

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2010, 04:38:07 PM »
I know the "correct" place for a paper filter is after the pump. However I have had small debris get past screen and lock up a pump. After that I used a paper element filter before the pump with no ill effects. AND no more locked up pumps either. Only reason I know of for not using a paper filter before the pump is due to pressure drop that in a high demand application COULD cause vapor locking. For most of us tho i doubt that will ever be the case unless we use a dinky too small pump in the first place. Just my 2 cents.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal