Author Topic: Welding table  (Read 9123 times)

Offline Yoshi

Re: Welding table
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2009, 07:12:16 AM »
T8, I was gonna build a table like that only I was gonna use ball bearings to spin it around (my suspension jigs weigh a ton and a bitch to spin around), I may have to use the air idea, does it leak much when your using it, or make any sound?

Offline T8erhead

• VIP
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2009, 12:34:03 PM »
We had a 300 lb. guy stand on it while spinning running about 100psi.  As long as your fittings are all tight and Teflon taped there's no leaking other than right around the circle.  For noise, it's just the whoosh of air when you step on the pedal.  It may not be the best, most economical option, but it works.  I am sure it could be dialed in a little better.

Offline Doug Heim

• Bad @$$ Buggy Builder & Parts Supplier
  • Forum Sponsor
    • Doug Heim's Photo Bucket
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2009, 12:57:09 PM »
That is sweet. Kind of like a hover craft. My table is 4'X7' and is 1/2" plate up top. The frame is all 2" square tube doubled up and bridged. My welder fits perfectly under it. The plate is bolted to the framework with flat head bolts and drilled and tapped all over for jigging. When I built it the 600 lb plate cost just under $200. Now it would be much more. Hmm now all I need is to buy a 3/4" plate to make the rotating table. Hmmm. Now you got me thinking.

Awesome. Thanks for sharing.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 12:58:53 PM by Doug Heim »

Offline T8erhead

• VIP
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2009, 05:25:24 PM »
My pleasure! 8)

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
  • Wishin I was there. "Glamis"
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2009, 12:43:41 AM »
While I don't have a turntable on it this is my build table so far.

I am debating on adding a thick layer of MDF to the top or maybe even a thick sheet metal layer. I could also remove the top and there are 1x3 rectangular metal ribs that are shimmed of the frame for the boards to lay flat on. 3x3 on the ends.

Its 6 foot wide by 12 foot long. It has casters under it that can be locked into position or allowed to pivot freely for mobility or straight line and they can be locked so as to not roll as well. despite what a couple of the pics look like the wheels do not hit anything and can spin around completely.  Its got a jack at each corner for leveling it or raising it and jacks in the middle to take care of weight there. There is not more than 6 foot between any two jacks. The floor I was one before was all concrete. To move it on this floor I put plywood under the wheels. I plan to concrete this front floor this summer if I stay here. For now only the back of the garage is concreted. I still have a bit to do to it and would take any ideas into consideration.

The cat was not amused.....     
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Admin

« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2009, 06:46:43 AM »
Looks good, I like the bulldog jacks on the corners.... ;D

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2009, 06:52:59 AM »
My seat and guide machine has a table that weighs about 400# and will float as if it weighs nothing.doesn't even clamp down for machining.Just sits there and doesn't move.You can tug on it and it stays in the same place.Hit it with air from the foot pedall and it glides with the slightest touch. Great idea for a weld table.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

SPEC

« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2009, 07:54:33 AM »
Nice table Nutz...
Now all you need are some drawers under it for tools and junk in my case ;D

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
  • Wishin I was there. "Glamis"
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2009, 09:10:55 AM »
I do plan to add a couple places underneath to store a few things. But nothing to fancy. Some shelves to hold the pieces for the setup bars (jigs that are straight enough to fit underthere) and a few clamp holder shelves etc.   
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

SPEC

« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2009, 09:37:49 AM »
Ya I really like mine with the 11 drawers,
Tools and parts right at your fingertips is really nice...

SPEC

« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2009, 07:33:26 AM »
I told you guys my welding table was a catch-all for junk...

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2009, 07:51:59 AM »
What welding table? :o
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

SPEC

« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2009, 08:44:32 AM »
It's under there somewhere :P

trojan

« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2009, 09:51:35 AM »
That sure is Junk! (the push-rod V8 that is) :P

artie on edge

« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2009, 03:00:17 PM »
That sure is Junk! (the push-rod V8 that is) :P

In technological terms, it may well be so.

In audio terms, AINT NOTHIN SOUND QUITE LIKE A SWEET BENT 8.... cept my Duke of course... dusty lil bitch that she is right now....

:l

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal