Author Topic: Arc (Stick) Welding  (Read 5288 times)

dre

Arc (Stick) Welding
« on: April 23, 2009, 02:05:45 AM »
Ok, I am ashamed to admit that I have never really done any hands on fabrication work.  Have designed stuff but never built.  ::)

So...on the weekend I went and bought a stick welder just to have a play with and build a few simple things (shelving etc).  From there I have access to MIG at work, but I wanted something at home to play with first.

Anyhow...to the point.  When stick welding where should the electrode point in relation to the weld pool?  I have looked in a few places and have not been able to find an answer yet, so I thought I would come here and see what the experts have to say.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
Re: Arc (Stick) Welding
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 06:03:54 AM »
If I were you I would go to your friend google and look up some illustrated info. Do some practice beads and post up pics here.We can help from there.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 06:08:49 AM »
Just search -arc welding basics,you'll find a LOT of info to help you .Does your local weld supplier or school offer any short/night time welding  courses? Be time well spent taking even a hobby welding class.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Punkur67

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009, 06:53:20 AM »
Also, what rod are you using? Different rods do different tings and need to be run in certain positions. ie. 7018 needs to be run uphill
Its better to be a smartass than a dumbass!

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2009, 06:55:16 AM »
Lets not get him confused right off the bat. LOL!!!!
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

dre

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2009, 07:11:10 AM »
I rang local TAFE about a course, they don't do one.  Neither do the shops.  I would have loved to do one!
I borrowed some books from the library and I have just been running bead on some scrap RHS, it is hard to match what I have done up with the pictures.  Will try to run some bead tomorrow and post some pics...

I tried google but have not yet found what I am after!

As for the rod...i pretty much went cheapest I could get...figure I am going to chew through them learning so wasn't too concerned and don't really know any better.

SPEC

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2009, 07:38:54 AM »
Dre,
My suggestion woild be to go and get rods in 6011...6013...7018...7024
the size of the rod depends on the welder  you have...Hot stick is a fussy animal, each rod has it's own charicteristics and will behave a particular way...6011 is "farmer rod" it will weld thruogh all kinds of shit, it's splattery,weld isn't the prettiest but it has good penetration...and it is easy to use on thicker materials
6013 "idiot rod"  anybody can make a decent looking weld with 6013...problem is it doesn't like to weld down hill and won't do overhead...the puddle is too runny...6013 is wonderfull stuff for beginners, it likes a clean material and is easy to puddle and good fill,
It is easier than the rest to watch how the puddle, and filler works,
7018 "missile rod" or "low hydrogen" I sugested this one for a reason...It's touph to weld, angle,moisture, arc length  are all extremely important with 7018, it is an all position rod...meaning it will weld up,down, flat, and overhead...The reason I suggested 7018 is ...if you can weld with a 7018... get a good start and a decent bead the res will be a peice of cake for you to weld with...last but not least the 7024...It is another of the "idiot" rod family works awesome flat...Doesn't dig like 6011 leaves a pretty, shiney bead, like 7018 only it is easy to start, easy to maintain the ack, and fill, and easy slag removal...when you have a good bead...the slag will pull and fall off itself...
A good book for you to buy would be Ron Garnea's Welders hand book it's good reading and will get you pointed in the right direction...plus It isn't as dry and waste your time with shit you don't need to know about other stuff...
How about some more info on the safety gear you have...Before I throw you to the wolves...
good helmet, good gloves, arm doo da's, and something to put out fires and some 100spf sunscreen

SPEC

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2009, 07:44:09 AM »
Sorry it's Ron fournier...and welding basics...
It's the book I tell my students to buy and read ;D

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2009, 07:48:13 AM »
Well then ,first thing I'd like to know is what brand/model /voltage welder you bought.If you bought a unit that is inadequate(many cheapos are) you will become frustrated VERY quickly.
  GREAT info you posted Spec!
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2009, 07:49:14 AM »
That was the book I was looking for also! Great basic info that you NEED to KNOW.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

SPEC

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2009, 07:59:01 AM »
I'm out time or there would have been more ;D

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2009, 12:09:55 PM »
100spf sunscreen

Good one Spec.  Most people don't think of this,  but if you do a lot of welding it's good on your elbow pits and neck.  And wear dark shirts or the arc will reflect off your chest into your helmet.
This post has been edited due to content.

dre

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2009, 03:30:32 PM »
Ok,

Here are some pics for scrutinee.  The weld on the right on the top face is the last one I did.  I am using 6013 rod.

Safety wise I am using a hand held mask rather than a helmet at the moment, a long sleeve flanellete shirt and work pants wwith boots.  I need to buy some gloves and get a proper helmet, gloves are next on the list.

Welder specs...pretty sure they are shit.  It is an Ozito AWG-964.  http://www.ozito.com.au/productinfo.aspx?prodid=AWG-964  I know it is crap but it is all I could afford!

SPEC

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2009, 04:37:46 PM »
Dump the hand held in the nearest trash bin...Buy yourself a cheap auto darkening helmet...I've seen them as cheeap as 40 bux at Harbor freightas a newbie to welding you'll need  both hands to lay nice beads...Your welds don't look too terribly bad...You need a few more amps and to slow down a bit... It's not a race...take your time...Keep the angle of attack consistant(about 30* to the puddle)
AND PRACTICE, PRACTICE PRACTICE...
I got a new student to the fab shop today...

artie on edge

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2009, 04:43:51 PM »
Mate you mentioned TAFE? Are you an Aussie? If so the sticks you need are satincraft by CIG. We use different terminology than these damn yanks...

The stick size will depend upon the available amperage from your  machine and the material you want to weld. I think in your case fairly small dia would give you best results.

Now for you all. Funny story. On our farm we had a large tip truck. Noticed that the tray had a crack running almost right across it (chassis was ok) so I decided in the hot summers sun to weld her up. We had a huge 3 phase welder (as you would expect on a farm) and im in overalls welding away on 4mm plate so good amerage dialed in. Changing rods, twirled the hand piece to tighten the rod and it swung up and into my nostril.

Pic this sweaty knees earthing onto the truck bed, my moist nostril with electrode inserted heavy amperage dialed up....

I DONT THINK IT WAS VERY FUNNY... from what I remember (not much), Dad reckons i jerked and twisted like a demon.... til the electrode came out, nose bled like a stuck pig, I think I must have jerked with the shock and stuck it in real good.......

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal