Author Topic: Why not use an ATV rear carrier?  (Read 2123 times)

barndawg

Why not use an ATV rear carrier?
« on: December 16, 2008, 07:55:51 PM »
My mini leaves a lot to be desired in way of perfection, but it's tons of fun for now. I'd like to purchace a nice tubing bender & start from scratch and include a gearbox, but for now my carrier is broke & so am I. So why not use some parts I have in abundance in my riding group? Banshee parts! My broken Dura Blue axel looks a lot like whiplash's 1 1/2" stock before after it's machined. I figure if I cut off my c.v. axel stubs @ the right depth they should fit on the banshee drive flanges, then be welded. The unit will then require no machine work and be servicable. Whatcha think?
« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 07:57:24 PM by Barndawg »

Admin

Re: Why not use an ATV rear carrier?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 08:00:34 PM »
doesnt dura blue have lifetime warranty?

the problem with the axle is that you cant weld on it very well, to hard etc... or is that not your intent, a bit confused of the idea here...

SPEC

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 05:26:41 AM »
I dunno if durablue's are case hardened or not but you may be able to grind off some surface and do a test weld....If good I'd turn it down weld and collar it

barndawg

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2008, 08:19:58 PM »
I'm only cutting the axel to length and welding on the flanges that slip on the existing splines. We'll see how it goes,

Admin

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2008, 04:14:13 AM »
I'm only cutting the axel to length and welding on the flanges that slip on the existing splines. We'll see how it goes,

That should work out good, are you drill and tapping the end to bolt the flanges on?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal