Author Topic: Now I have gone and done it.  (Read 15150 times)

Offline big dave

Re: Now I have gone and done it.
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2018, 07:32:11 AM »
Lot of nice work going on.  looks sweet, And will  perform like a dream.

Offline Stickflipper

• Grunt worker
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2018, 11:52:38 AM »
Set the caster at 5, straight line, 4th gear could use a bit more but don’t do much of that.
It’s a day and night difference.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2018, 12:06:38 PM »
VERY nice work! the front end was designed for 10* caster but of course you'll set it as you see fit. we will need more pics though!! video would be nice as well.
Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2018, 12:08:17 PM »
once you get a little time on it, check the alignment again as everything settles then you can make tiny adjustments on the shocks and really dial it in!

« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 12:14:41 PM by dsrace »

Offline Stickflipper

• Grunt worker
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2018, 12:26:23 PM »
VERY nice work! the front end was designed for 10* caster but of course you'll set it as you see fit. we will need more pics though!! video would be nice as well.
If I ever get really bored, I'll adjust backwards to around 10 and see what happens. For now, it turns like it's on rails.
To begin with, I was having troubles, I was used to cranking the wheel and plowing for 25 feet before it started to turn.  :m

Video will be forth coming, have to find something besides the pos gopro quick software.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2018, 02:57:47 PM »
If I ever get really bored, I'll adjust backwards to around 10 and see what happens. For now, it turns like it's on rails.
To begin with, I was having troubles, I was used to cranking the wheel and plowing for 25 feet before it started to turn.  :m

Video will be forth coming, have to find something besides the pos gopro quick software.

i cannot wait to see what that pre explanation was for  ;D ;)

well thats great that your happy with it as is now. that's the only real important factor!! big change i know!

if you ever do get bored enough ( with your statement i can't believe you will ) but let me know and i'll give you the alignment instructions as it was designed for. then once the front is done then you'll need to do the rear end. it will steer even better yet!

Offline Stickflipper

• Grunt worker
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2018, 07:24:17 AM »

well thats great that your happy with it as is now. that's the only real important factor!! big change i know!

if you ever do get bored enough ( with your statement i can't believe you will ) but let me know and i'll give you the alignment instructions as it was designed for. then once the front is done then you'll need to do the rear end. it will steer even better yet!

Sounds like work  :m

I am going to take the cutting brake out and install a phone holder in it's place.
Second project before T day, replace pos shifter.
Then hopefully, I won't have to wrench on it until prep for St Anthony, i.e. next summer.

With the beam, I would look where I wanted to go and pad that by 25 feet, because that's how far it would plow before it started to turn. It had way to much caster, it was easier to put the A-arms on than redo the beam.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2018, 08:56:45 AM »
Caster is what increases straight line stability. The more the caster,the more straight line stability you will have . Caster aids in turning also at the price of steering effort increasing as more caster  is added. Can you explain how excessive caster in the beam would make the front plow?
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Stickflipper

• Grunt worker
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2018, 09:57:26 AM »
Caster is what increases straight line stability. The more the caster,the more straight line stability you will have . Caster aids in turning also at the price of steering effort increasing as more caster  is added. Can you explain how excessive caster in the beam would make the front plow?

How does caster aid in turning and straight line stability at the same time?  They are kinda counter to each other.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2018, 12:11:09 PM »
 on the axis at which it now piovts. this is when ackreman angle comes into play as well. more caster is more steering effort into the turn but less out of the turn and this is where eps comes in  ;) ;) rofl  also were 0 to very little bump steer plays a huge roll . front steer vs rear steer etc etc there is a lot more too all this than one thinks but you skipped that with my front end  ;D so i have never even attempted to fine tune a beam front end. so let me put it to you this way......looking down from above, when you turn it's like turning around a doughnut. inside wheel needs to turn sharper than the outside and the rear needs to follow behind. now throw neg camber into the mix in relation to sai ( kpi) to place the load on the rib of a cutting tire and put it to the ground.  i see no way a stock beam front end can do any of this. 

like it said  before, if your happy with it then leave it but if you want to see a whole new level i can give you a list to follow and then you have to square and align the rear.   

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2018, 12:12:57 PM »

Sounds like work  :m

I am going to take the cutting brake out and install a phone holder in it's place.
Second project before T day, replace pos shifter.
Then hopefully, I won't have to wrench on it until prep for St Anthony, i.e. next summer.

With the beam, I would look where I wanted to go and pad that by 25 feet, because that's how far it would plow before it started to turn. It had way to much caster, it was easier to put the A-arms on than redo the beam.

LMAO i hear ya and believe it or not i am still forced to use my cutting brakes!! only when following budlight 69 or mike in the  tight trails   ;) ;D ;D but other than that i wouldn't need mine either!

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2018, 07:28:29 PM »
a little video of stick flippers ride at G

Offline osborn ronald

• Janitor
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2019, 05:05:42 AM »
do i spy power steering??  ;D ;DUltra Fast Keto Boost

i really like how you blended it into the chassis! the rail as a whole looks very stout! nice work.

i really like

Offline Stickflipper

• Grunt worker
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2023, 08:41:48 PM »
Here I am raising the dead.  ;D
The rail is undergoing a change from subi to honda power and 091 (broke it again) to 2D.
It's fun fitting a large transaxle and V6 into a frame initilly designed for a Vdub.  bs1

I think this is where I want things, there is about an inch clearance between the nosecone and the torsion housing.
Not being able to scoot it farther forward and the down tubes need to be replaced anyway (They are attached to the cross tube) would it be better to reattach the new tubes to the crosstube and angle them farther aft?  Or cut them out and add the new ones aft of the triangle?

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2023, 05:43:02 AM »
nice to see your still duning!

looks like a nice project. i fully understand breaking transaxles  :m

not sure i fully understand the question. i can say, that if you decide to cut those up running tubes out , when replacing them, have them connect at the same joint the others do right by them. 

will the honda be n/a or boosted?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2023, 05:53:28 AM by dsrace »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal