Author Topic: 5 link rear sandcar suspension  (Read 54273 times)

Offline BrianN

Re: 5 link rear sandcar suspension
« Reply #75 on: July 07, 2018, 09:00:40 PM »
Got a couple more motor mounts tacked in, and my fwd conversion hub fabricated and welded. Expecting suspension parts this week.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #76 on: July 08, 2018, 07:36:31 AM »
moving along pretty fast!     have you built the carriers for the wheel bearings yet?
Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

Offline BrianN

« Reply #77 on: July 08, 2018, 05:33:06 PM »
No. I should have parts on Monday. Gotta get heims ordered and start staring (you being a fabber probably know what I mean) at the car, and deciding on how I want the end to look like. Did you mention before that I could use aluminum rods for (forgot term) links from carriers to frame at the trans? (Not the 2 forward pushing links).

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #78 on: July 08, 2018, 06:05:52 PM »
yes on the swedged 6061 aluminum radius rods. i posted that speedway motor link early on. there like $10 from them. i get the carrier design study session, make it a sober one lol   not sure which stubs you decided on but if micro stub kit i have 6 blank carriers still.

Offline BrianN

« Reply #79 on: July 08, 2018, 07:18:14 PM »
I ordered the type1 to 930 so I can use my brakes are hubs. And ordered the aluminum carriers for fabrication of my "birdcages". Sorry, I come from a Sprint car background! I hope I understand what I am doing. I will order the radius rods when I figure the lengths, and build my own 4130 rods for the "pushers". Don't worry, I will get my terminalogy straight! If I forget to say it-- Thanks to all for advice and opinions.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #80 on: July 08, 2018, 07:43:10 PM »
i call them wheel bearing carriers but birdcages works too. i have always run mild steel forward rods but chromolly will be very strong. anytime on the advice and we're all full opinions lol

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #81 on: July 08, 2018, 07:45:18 PM »
if you build aluminum carriers that you make them more than stout as they take a lot more load than a sprint car. as in many diff directions and a pounding from all the bumps in offroad.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #82 on: July 08, 2018, 08:40:23 PM »
if you build aluminum carriers that you make them more than stout as they take a lot more load than a sprint car. as in many diff directions and a pounding from all the bumps in offroad.
^^^^^^ YUP
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #83 on: July 09, 2018, 06:08:47 AM »
I take it he plans to use the alum bearing bolt in units for type one stubs.

Sounds like you got a good plan, steady preplanning will keep ya from collecting many unusable parts.  Another leason I learned hard way.
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #84 on: July 09, 2018, 07:05:09 AM »
here are a set i used to build. you could make these out of the steel type 1 carriers but need to make the heim locations in double shear.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #85 on: July 09, 2018, 07:05:43 AM »
another angle

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness

Offline BrianN

« Reply #87 on: July 14, 2018, 06:51:59 PM »
I ordered axles way too long. Did I read on here to measure axles: with axles straight, level with ground, measure from back edges of both cv's, then add 1/2"? Also, what is the width of your cars from outside edges of paddle tires?

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
« Reply #88 on: July 14, 2018, 07:20:34 PM »
Brian

The width of your car should be maintained to what the door opening in your car trailer is.  If your opening is 90 inches then you want to be able to drive your car in so keep the width at say 86/88 with paddles on.  That way you don't spend a lot of time changing tires going to and from the dunes.
I don't know where you got the infore on the axle measuring but it's way off.  From where you are at in the build you need to determine how wide you want the car, then you need to find your true travel of the suspension before you can determine the axle length.  You pretty much need the suspension all hooked up to the car so you can then cycle it up and down to get the axle length.  What you will want is at full droop the axle will have about a quarter of and inch play back and forth. Then at the middle of the travel the same and then at the top the same.  Some people like to start at the mid way point and work up and then down.  This masument will come from the bottom of the cv cup on the wheel to the bottom of the cup on the transaxle.  use and old broom handle and cut and trim as needed then when you get where you want to be then mausere what you have and order up a new set or just bring me the long ones and I'll cut them down to fit. 
Brian if you ever need help or want to talk about it just ring me up 316-655-3162 Ask for Glenn.

I need to add that all this this time you need to keep the angle of the axle at what the cv manufacture wants the cv's to be maxed out at. 
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 07:25:57 PM by fastcorvairs »

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #89 on: July 14, 2018, 07:50:53 PM »
Brian

The width of your car should be maintained to what the door opening in your car trailer is.or as wide as the front tires.  If your opening is 90 inches then you want to be able to drive your car in so keep the width at say 86/88 with paddles on.  That way you don't spend a lot of time changing tires going to and from the dunes. Many people do not but Fast's advice on that is very,very good advice from a convenience standpoint, if convenience is at all important to you ,follow it.  ;) ;)
I don't know where you got the infore on the axle measuring but it's way off.  From where you are at in the build you need to determine how wide you want the car, then you need to find your true travel of the suspension which is limited by the cv max anglebefore you can determine the axle length.  You pretty much need the suspension all hooked up to the car so you can then cycle it up and down to get the axle length.  Yup!What you will want is at full droop the axle will have about a quarter of and inch play back and forth. Then at the middle of the travel the same and then at the top the same.  Some people like to start at the mid way point and work up and then down.  That is a goal that may not be attainable due to many factors but there needs to be at the very least 1/8 inch axle end play throughout full suspension travel.You can take into account cv plunge when doing this also .It would be best if the cv plunge is limited but many times full plunge will be needed. This masument will come from the bottom of the cv cup on the wheel to the bottom of the cup on the transaxle.  use and old broom handle and cut and trim as needed then when you get where you want to be then mausere what you have and order up a new set or just bring me the long ones and I'll cut them down to fit.  Now that's an offer that shouldn't be left unused!!
Brian if you ever need help or want to talk about it just ring me up 316-655-3162 Ask for Glenn.

I need to add that all this this time you need to keep the angle of the axle at what the cv manufacture wants the cv's to be maxed out at.

Good info for Brian right there. DS has been a big ,big help as well. One thing about DTS is there are many here that truly know what they know for sure.

Sorry to have hacked up your post fast but it was just easier.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 07:52:28 PM by fabr »
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal