Author Topic: OUT WITH THE OLD VW. IN WITH THE SUBARU  (Read 49757 times)

Offline big dave

Re: OUT WITH THE OLD VW. IN WITH THE SUBARU
« Reply #195 on: April 12, 2017, 01:13:37 PM »
then it's 95% certain it's not the plugs. I'd still put in a new set though just to rule it out. From your original post I assume it does this driving and not just free revving?
I can see the confusion.  It does this just setting in the shop in neutral.  that is why, I keep looking  to the ecu programing. playing with logging function last night. I was  look at all the input signal and running data. my BTDC signal looks a little flaky, (jumps around a lot). I did rewire it when I installed the motor. I my have a connection problem there. The rpm issue came on after, I had drove the car in the sand hard and fast. everything was working great. pulled all 4 gears 7000rpm. played for maybe 20 min. I shut the car off  and let it cool down. fried it back up and took off 1,2nd pulled hard 6000 rpm hit 3rd and it started to limit to 3800. now it seem to be stuck there.

Offline DeepBusch69

« Reply #196 on: April 12, 2017, 04:23:14 PM »
with a new system, have you checked all the fuel filters for plugging up with loose stuff? 

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #197 on: April 12, 2017, 05:00:12 PM »
is the crank sensor loose? or is the connector have problems? i would still install a new set of plugs but i would think the ecu would keep you from revving to rev limit in N but only if it knows your in N. if it does not then it cannot. does this engine have a distributor?
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #198 on: April 12, 2017, 05:07:15 PM »
for grins and giggles check and see if you maf is still connected
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Offline Punkur67

« Reply #199 on: April 12, 2017, 06:26:13 PM »
I also had a fuel pump go bad that pumped enough to run but not over about 5k rpm. It would only build about 5psi max on a fuel injected motor
Its better to be a smartass than a dumbass!

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #200 on: April 12, 2017, 07:42:37 PM »
That funky BTDC signal does concern me a lot. I'd start there and also check the basics as well. Check one thing at a time though. First find the issue with the BTDC signal. Next verify fuel pressure and investigate all filters. Check connections to all sensors and the sensors themselves. Next ohm check all other connections if possible by back probing the terminals. All grounds should be checked the same way as well.
    I'd bet it's the funky BTDC issue though. Have you put a timing light on it? I assume it is triggered with a magnetic pick up? Check to see if there is any metal stuck to it if so. Have you done any drilling on the car while getting it back together? I've seen a few very small drill shavings cause all kinds of mischief.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline big dave

« Reply #201 on: April 13, 2017, 06:35:52 AM »
  problem found. looks like I have a flaky cam position sensor. it works on start up. but flacks out around 3800. by watching the logging tables. I finally seen the rpms spike up tp 10000 rpm. unplugged sensor with car running and it comes right up to 7000 rpm. as always parts on order.  giggity giggity thanks for all the input on solving this guy.

Offline DeepBusch69

« Reply #202 on: April 13, 2017, 06:49:52 AM »
  problem found. looks like I have a flaky cam position sensor. it works on start up. but flacks out around 3800. by watching the logging tables. I finally seen the rpms spike up tp 10000 rpm. unplugged sensor with car running and it comes right up to 7000 rpm. as always parts on order.  giggity giggity thanks for all the input on solving this guy.

Good news.  I have heard of cam sensors going put, but they usually just won't run at all.  Zip tie the wires going to the sensors really well,to avoid vibration and future problems. 

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #203 on: April 13, 2017, 08:13:39 AM »
 :swig:
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Punkur67

« Reply #204 on: April 13, 2017, 11:36:14 AM »
Nice when its simple
Its better to be a smartass than a dumbass!

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #205 on: April 14, 2017, 05:29:30 AM »
Dang, sounds like a 7.3 ford diesel.  I think everyone keep a spare in glove box. LOL

Glad was relative simple find and easy fix.
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #206 on: April 14, 2017, 07:03:58 AM »
hope you found it cheaper at the rock vs local parts store. you'll have to look to see if something did indeed strike it or it just went out.

Offline big dave

« Reply #207 on: April 17, 2017, 07:10:55 AM »
well the new cam sensor fixed it. ran like a champ sitting in the shop. then I went and test drove the car. 2 minuets  in and right back to limiting the RPM. unplugged the sensor car ran great. after remove the sensor, the dam thing has a rub on it. its not much of a rub. looks like just a small scratch, you can just fell it with your finger nail.  my best guess, at this time. is there most be some play in the cam or the wheel is damaged. I will be ordering a new sensor. then its time to take the timing belt covers off and have a closer look at it.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 08:02:20 AM by big dave »

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #208 on: April 17, 2017, 08:20:52 AM »
well,that sux.      You say you unplugged the CS and it ran????????
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline big dave

« Reply #209 on: April 17, 2017, 09:08:33 AM »
well,that sux.      You say you unplugged the CS and it ran????????
yes, it needs to be plugged in to start. then unplugged after the car is running. then the car runs fine.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal