Author Topic: cush drive  (Read 1609 times)

Offline Voodoochikin04

• Vip Eye candy Supplier!!
  • VIP
cush drive
« on: November 20, 2008, 12:17:50 PM »
has anyone ever taken a motorcycle wheel and machine the entire thing down to just the center cush drive and mounted that to your axle? it would help tremendously with shock absortion.
"it's only when you have lost everything, that your free to do anything"

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
  • Wishin I was there. "Glamis"
Re: cush drive
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 03:02:41 PM »
The old Kawasaki rail I had bought off another fellow was done like that. The rear hub WAS a spoked unit and it still had the sprocket and the brake disc on it. I have photoes of it but not digital I do not think. Just cut the spokes off.

The big issue you will have is connecting it to the center shaft as its built to run on bearings on a stationary shaft.
You have to put a shaft thru it thats bigger than the axle as its no longer just holding a bike up and the wheel in place.

Mine had a round piece of metal connecting to the axle and then had setscrews drilled into it. I broke it as the center axle was not strong enough for a real beating and the setscrews were never really up to the job. The motor was a 750cc two cylinder 4 stroke that the book claimed made 55 horsepower. It had a lot of torque but nothing like a newer motor.

If you figure out a solid way to connect to the center axle then it should work. The sprockets ride on separate bearings or bushings so they can offer the cush you want and have to be held place usually by a snap clip. You would need a groove machined or a collar to hold it to the rest of the hub and the real trick. Connecting the hub to the axle centerpiece in a way it could hang on to the power vs traction you end up with.

Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Offline Yoshi

Re: cush drive
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008, 04:08:45 PM »
You can buy a cush drive setup, i'm getting ready to build my own, something similiar to this......

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal