Author Topic: Got back from Silver Lake  (Read 3749 times)

LiveWire

Got back from Silver Lake
« on: November 02, 2010, 03:46:59 PM »
The dunes were very strange to how I normally see them. I drove off a drop off 3 times, twice while being followed. OdyPilots caught the one on video below. I don't think the drop off really comes across. The drop of was facing the opposite direction of all the other dunes and the sand leading up to it was pretty level, not indicating anything was coming up. I was in the lead and went off first. I am sitting off to the right at some spots in the video. When I went off, I knew it would be rough for Cadman, turned sideways and stopped. There was no way to warn him though as he was in the air before I could even see him.

chrishallett83

Re: Got back from Silver Lake
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 05:08:43 PM »
Ouch! Shook him up a bit?

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 08:37:18 PM »
Nice,no warning at all it seemed. That sux.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I participate in your fantasy"

Offline Reidy02

• VIP
  • What goes around comes around!
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2010, 05:23:53 AM »
Woooh that's gotta give ya a pain in the neck! :o Way to lawn dart it..
VTR 1000 CUDA on the way.. What goes around comes around!!

Offline Doug Heim

• Bad @$$ Buggy Builder & Parts Supplier
  • Forum Sponsor
    • Doug Heim's Photo Bucket
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2010, 08:39:11 AM »
Last summer when I was with Silverbolt we had a similar expierence going off a ledge like that. No warning or nothin! I was in the lead but luckly didnt have the same outcome but I did nose dive her hard. The upswept nose on the Cuda probably saved my ass!

Dunes at SL are always changing. Fastest moving dunes in the US I heard.

LiveWire

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2010, 10:35:29 AM »
He was just a little sore. He broke a flag bracket and a crack on a fender spread. I sell fenders ;)

Our machine are similar. He has a stock bumper and mine is much taller/longer with a small plate to reduce digging in. I didn't land on my bumper though. He has stock front suspension, just different shocks. He has 4" travel with 1" droop. I have 13" travel, about 4" higher ride height and 5" droop. The 4" higher ride height probably means taking that much farther rotation before landing on the nose. I think the additional droop keeps the wheels on the ground longer and reduces the amount the nose drops in the air.

I have never seen the sharp side of a dune face that direction at SL.

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2010, 02:57:46 PM »
We can never assume anything in the dunes huh. Glad he's OK.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I participate in your fantasy"

LiveWire

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2010, 03:11:18 PM »
The worst part about it, is we went off that same drop off earlier in the day. I should have made a better mental note about it being there.

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2010, 03:19:17 PM »
The worst part about it, is we went off that same drop off earlier in the day. I should have made a better mental note about it being there.

Didn't see you in the lead.  What good would it have done.

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

LiveWire

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2010, 04:03:47 PM »
Didn't see you in the lead.  What good would it have done.

I had already gone off the edge before the start of the video. I am visible off to the right at certain points in the video. I pulled away at a safe distance to not get landed on then turned sideways and stopped. I was hoping I would be able to give some sort of warning, but could not even see him until he was off the edge.

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2010, 04:55:28 PM »
I had already gone off the edge before the start of the video. I am visible off to the right at certain points in the video. I pulled away at a safe distance to not get landed on then turned sideways and stopped. I was hoping I would be able to give some sort of warning, but could not even see him until he was off the edge.

RA DI O's That's when they are nice.  If you travel with anyone at all radios are the cat's ass. 

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

LiveWire

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2010, 05:42:21 PM »
Yes, something I want to look into. If you have any recommendation on some good bang for the buck ones, I would appreciate it.

If you hear Oh Sh..., it means danger ahead.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2010, 08:13:14 PM »
Last summer when I was with Silverbolt we had a similar expierence going off a ledge like that. No warning or nothin! I was in the lead but luckly didnt have the same outcome but I did nose dive her hard. The upswept nose on the Cuda probably saved my ass!

Dunes at SL are always changing. Fastest moving dunes in the US I heard.
  I have no doubt that they are fast moving but kill pecker is still in the lead from what I hear, carry on.   ;D
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2010, 08:13:54 PM »
 :o :o  ya that rip foam out of a seat!!!!!
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Offline Enemy

• F*CK NA i lOvE BooST
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2010, 09:29:44 PM »
Yes, something I want to look into. If you have any recommendation on some good bang for the buck ones, I would appreciate it.

If you hear Oh Sh..., it means danger ahead.

+1 on the radio advice please. Now that I have a place for it in the BatCave  ;)

Good to hear he came through that OK LiveW.
"If the hate of men could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world."   ~Nikola Tesla

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal