Author Topic: Been learning Autocad  (Read 6197 times)

Admin

Been learning Autocad
« on: May 24, 2009, 07:52:21 PM »
Just a few test drawings, I started Auto cad last week, The center plate was a DWF from engineer, I drew from it...

Offline Boostinjdm

Re: Been learning Autocad
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2009, 08:09:33 PM »
looks like you are getting the hang of it.  Did you do that as two separate drawings or did you manage to just move the center plates and have the rest correct it's self?  I seem to remember a command to locate stuff like pivot points  so you could move one part and have the rest follow, but I can't remember what it is.  <----Makes me do things the hard way.  Know what I mean?  Or am I confused?
This post has been edited due to content.

Admin

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2009, 08:50:09 PM »
I copied the entire drawing, then i rotated everything into place. Then i selected everything and moved it as one piece... If you move one piece you have to move everything else to match, As far as i know, if you move just the plate it will not automatically rotate the arms and stuff...

Admin

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2009, 08:52:47 PM »
For the record, I do have a teacher via skype, Rick S... And have had some teaching from Engineer on the phone as well... I did not learn solo...

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2009, 08:53:10 PM »
ok, sounds like what I have to do every time.  Goes something like move plate.  move arms. move spindles and tires.  Then double check all the centers line up.  Each part moved or rotated individually using the object snaps.

Admin

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2009, 08:53:58 PM »
ok, sounds like what I have to do every time.  Goes something like move plate.  move arms. move spindles and tires.  Then double check all the centers line up.  Each part moved or rotated individually using the object snaps.

Are you rotating objects using the Reference command?

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2009, 08:55:50 PM »
Looks great!

Next step make the assemblys blocks, so they move easily as one piece.

like the tire/bearing/upright, and the complete a-arm or link.

It makes charting multiple suspension travel points much easier.

Admin

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2009, 09:00:49 PM »
Looks great!

Next step make the assemblys blocks, so they move easily as one piece.

like the tire/bearing/upright, and the complete a-arm or link.

It makes charting multiple suspension travel points much easier.

Already Learned that....  ;D I got everything blocked now. When i cut that from the original drawing i did paste it as one block tho on the new dwg and saved to take the pic etc... Put in a good 10 hrs today drawing, probbaly do the same tomorrow, For some reason i am hooked on this and really enjoying it....

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2009, 09:07:01 PM »
I draw circles with the radius the length of the arms.  The center of the circle is the center of the inner pivot.  Now chose the heigth to show the upright/tire.  Now put the lower upright mount on the intersection of the arm radius, and the heigth.  Then I draw a circle on the same point that's radius is the same as the upright mount separation.  (Draw a circle with the center the center of the bottom upright and select the center of the top mount as the size of the circle.)  Now the intersection of this circle and the circle representing the top arm are where it needs to be rotated to.  Now you can rotate easily using the reference to the exact point.

I can see you already know how to get it done.  Just sharing my method.  ;)

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2009, 09:08:20 PM »

Admin

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2009, 09:10:34 PM »
At the current rate your learing, you will be teaching us all soon.  :D

Lmao....

We did figure out how to edit layer properties today :)

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2009, 09:14:28 PM »
I draw circles with the radius the length of the arms.  The center of the circle is the center of the inner pivot.  Now chose the heigth to show the upright/tire.  Now put the lower upright mount on the intersection of the arm radius, and the heigth.  Then I draw a circle on the same point that's radius is the same as the upright mount separation.  (Draw a circle with the center the center of the bottom upright and select the center of the top mount as the size of the circle.)  Now the intersection of this circle and the circle representing the top arm are where it needs to be rotated to.  Now you can rotate easily using the reference to the exact point.

Circles are a man's best friend when it comes to locating stuff.  I got me a track ball cuz my arms where getting tired.

Admin

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2009, 09:15:01 PM »

Oh, i did it the hard way the first time, then Rick showed me the easy way.... :)

Drawing By Rick S

Admin

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2009, 01:23:14 AM »
I think i fxxked this all up, lol.....

Involute gear drawing

Admin

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2009, 10:01:33 AM »
100 tooth 530 First time....

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal