Author Topic: need tranny info  (Read 4831 times)

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
  • Wishin I was there. "Glamis"
Re: need tranny info
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2009, 09:00:47 PM »
Has any one ever given any thought to a toyota, nissan or any other of the imports. Would they work or are they not as strong as the vw or honda.
For the jack shaft set up instead of a chain, would a belt like they use on some of the bikes belt drives work.

Toyota and Nissan make pretty good stuff too. If you found a good deal on one (or better yet two identical trannies so you got a spare)

Hondas work with the bike engines as they face out the direction needed to feed in via a sprocket of a bike motor on the left side.

The VW *(newer 4 cyl front drive trannies) face the other direction. I liked them for that fact that most newer sleds have a long shaft the driven rides on. So the power would be sent across on that shaft to the side of the VW tranny. But thats me. Also the spline thing to larger German CV flanges. We do need to find/figure on 930 flanges for what modern VW trannies. 

Quite honestly I am liking the idea above that Bug seems to support. Feed it right in VIA the driven shaft. As long as you can support it from twisting/torquing. The bearing on each side should do the trick nicely. IMO.

Heck some of the newer sled motors have the drive clutch on the right side don't they?
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Stomper

« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2009, 10:53:08 PM »
With a floating keyway clutch (Basically not a Yamaha. They might work if you cut splines) Anyways with a Keyway clutch a simple keyed shaft to hold the driven with a bearing on each side of it then bore the end of the shaft out to fit over the Honda trannies shafts smooth part then weld the center splines from the Honda clutch disc to the end to transfer power.

I could see that working pretty easy. And low parts count and no chain.

Guess the biggest problem you might have Bug is if the tranny can survive at a steep angle.

That does sound like it would work, The part I like is the ellimination of a bunch of moving parts. The less moving parts, the less to go wrong.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2009, 10:55:52 PM by Stomper »

Stomper

« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2009, 11:02:10 PM »
http://www.dansperformanceparts.com/buggy/susp/buggysusp%20IRS.htm

Found this. Like I said before I don't know much about cv's but check out 1/2 way down the page under "transmission drive flanges". Is this the stuff we have been looking for ???

Admin

« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2009, 08:31:14 AM »
As bill from az trans said tho, the splines are the same, but the od seal surface etc is not, so better off to mod the oem flanges...

Stomper

« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2009, 02:28:49 PM »
Great, thanks guys, thats what I will work towards.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal