Author Topic: car derived sxs  (Read 52077 times)

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
Re: car derived sxs
« Reply #150 on: August 09, 2020, 06:36:14 AM »
i have designed and built 4 links, 5 links and 6 link rear ends. i call all three of those types as multi link rear ends. i pre fer those over an trailing arm ( vw style) any day of the week. now they have there limitations as far as impact from boulders , tree stumps etc etc.  so does everything depending on how it was built but you know what i mean. i will link a video on a 4 to 5 link rear end. not mine and the wheel bearing carrier ( yellow part) in the video was designed wrong. you'll notice the the radius rod heims joints bolt on behind the cv joint. those pivot points need to be in the center of the cv pivot point so that they all articulate together. plus all needs to be in double shear. now if they offset them the same distance at the frame then it would work. it doesn't appear that they did but you get the general jist of it. an a arm rear end will operate on the same principal of pivoting down the centerline of the cv as well.  now the a-arms can be designed in a number of different shapes that fit you cradle and wheel bearing carrier that you design and build. just remember the spread at the frame vs length of arms.

and accurate quote from fabbr    " A.75:1 ratio would be ample for strength. In other words if arm is 24" long then a arm mount spread at frame of 18" would be ample. Simple triangulation from front pivot to rear heim is also more than adequate.

Upper arm spread,IMO is too narrow at frame pivots. Again ,something in the area of .65:1 would be the right ballpark. However,I'd run the shock thru the upper arm and that would make the wider mounting work well. The upper arm gets a lot less loading than the lower and just needs minimal reinforcement."

something to keep in mind when deciding which road to try. i do personally believe a arms would be the best choice for you terrain.  i personally believe that the forward arm or an forward arm( on the lower only) needs to be at a 45* angle from the center of the stub axle to the frame. i believe this gives you the best forward support for driving forces. this can make the lowers look huge and gawdy and can be done with a single radius rod or what ever you can imagine. not all are built this way and seem to work very well, it's just my opinion.

here is the link to the 5 link.....

« Last Edit: August 09, 2020, 06:38:03 AM by dsrace »
Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

Offline Baloo

« Reply #151 on: August 09, 2020, 06:47:54 AM »
hi dsrace
   2 long shafts makes it all too wide for here in the uk    its not like your wide open sand dunes  :m

i have a couple of options which i will post up later when i have got some pics

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #152 on: August 09, 2020, 06:52:56 AM »
or just build one of these and take a few trees down  ;D ;D

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #153 on: August 09, 2020, 06:53:29 AM »
hi dsrace
   2 long shafts makes it all too wide for here in the uk    its not like your wide open sand dunes  :m

what about 2 short axles?

Offline Baloo

« Reply #154 on: August 09, 2020, 06:55:15 AM »
thank you ds   i am digesting this      i do think A arm is the way to go    will ponder some more
« Last Edit: August 09, 2020, 06:59:10 AM by Baloo »

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #155 on: August 09, 2020, 06:59:43 AM »
here is a crappy video of our little sand dune park in oklahoma. 6 years old and for some reason missing the rest of the sound. go pro was on the back of my rail and fast corvairs was following me. good trip, he will be missed!!!!

Offline Baloo

« Reply #156 on: August 09, 2020, 07:00:02 AM »
hi dsrace

what about 2 short axles?

think   they might be to short   will mock it up

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #157 on: August 09, 2020, 07:06:01 AM »
doesn't pertain to your build and yes i desperately need to fix my go pro mount and isolate the vibrations which send the steady shot into a seizure. so in this quick clip, mike is leading, his son is behind him and fastcorvairs is in front of me. mike dusts his son  rofl rofl it still makes me laugh

Offline Baloo

« Reply #158 on: August 11, 2020, 02:16:08 AM »
you guys dont know how lucky  you are to have dunes to play in  ;)   all we get over here is wet sticky mud
im very envious of what you have over there   8)   

Offline Baloo

« Reply #159 on: August 11, 2020, 02:22:06 AM »

ok i ve played around with the golf engine and box  its difficult to get it to package well  so maybe i should be using the audi engine and box

looks a whole lot easier to package  :)    and passat rear hubs are cheap and look easy to adapt

and this must be one of your pics ds ?

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #160 on: August 11, 2020, 10:26:58 AM »
def the audi trans is easier to start with. yes those are carriers i built. i still have some blank plates.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #161 on: August 11, 2020, 10:27:31 AM »
i'm not into mudding with my rail but some are into mudding with sxs's and woods buggies

Offline Baloo

« Reply #162 on: August 11, 2020, 12:11:28 PM »
i'm not into mudding with my rail but some are into mudding with sxs's and woods buggies

i dont want to be into mudding we dont have a lot of choice lol

Offline Baloo

« Reply #163 on: August 12, 2020, 12:53:11 PM »
Hi ds
   have you any pictures or the rear suspension taken from behind ?
where do position the lower inner A arm mounts in terms of height ?   do you make them level with the lowest point of the transmission ??   and what sort of separation between the lower and the top mount ?      the outer end has obviously has to fit inside the rear wheel rim  so i guess you keep it as small as possible ?

Offline deranged

« Reply #164 on: August 13, 2020, 09:11:46 AM »
Hi ds
   have you any pictures or the rear suspension taken from behind ?
where do position the lower inner A arm mounts in terms of height ?   do you make them level with the lowest point of the transmission ??   and what sort of separation between the lower and the top mount ?      the outer end has obviously has to fit inside the rear wheel rim  so i guess you keep it as small as possible ?
Is this what you are looking for?   LMAO
I live nowhere near a desert....

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal