Author Topic: Transaxle LSD questions  (Read 1907 times)

Offline BrianN

Transaxle LSD questions
« on: August 01, 2019, 07:15:25 PM »
I need to install a 4.44:1 R&P in my Subaru 5mt trans that I have converted to 2wd. (shortest ratio used in this trans) I am hoping to make the gear ratio "usable". Gap between 2nd and 3rd is too big. I checked into shorter paddles, but my 30" tall tires seem to be shortest, without going to a smaller wheel. I know the final drive won't change the gear stack ratios, but I am hoping 3rd will be usable as top gear. (Without going 80 mph) After all, I only go to Little Sahara. Close ratio gear stacks are available, but it will add about another $2000.00. Not worth it for me. I am considering installing a LSD while I am at it. Do turning brakes work with a LSD? My car, mid engine and very short, doesn't really need them, but can be fun sometimes. I always assumed the "super diff" for VW tranny's made them 2wd, but from what I have read recently, it doesn't. They are still open diff. Are the aftermarket transaxles open, locked, or limited slip? I also know a gear maker, and may ask him if he can make different ratio 3rd gears. Any thoughts on that?

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
Re: Transaxle LSD questions
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2019, 11:27:57 AM »
i completely understand you need to bring ground speeds down!  ;D so the last fully built 091 i had was a sper diff with 4 spider gears. it was called poor mans posi but it was still an open diff. it would throw 2 roosts in a straight line and in min turns. now a tru lsd......ard to say about cutting breaks. i know with 4 spider gears cutting brakes weren't an issue. i dont use my cutting brakes often except in the trails following budlight or mike. that 2 are squirrly drivers in the trails! rofl so i thought they offered a 4.86 r&p for the suby trans? what is the current r&p ratio?
Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2019, 01:13:43 PM »
SFAIK you need an open diff for cutting brakes. FWIW,I have never had a reason to use a cutting brake. My car goes where I point it.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Online DeepBusch69

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2019, 03:27:29 PM »
i completely understand you need to bring ground speeds down!  ;D so the last fully built 091 i had was a sper diff with 4 spider gears. it was called poor mans posi but it was still an open diff. it would throw 2 roosts in a straight line and in min turns. now a tru lsd......ard to say about cutting breaks. i know with 4 spider gears cutting brakes weren't an issue. i dont use my cutting brakes often except in the trails following budlight or mike. that 2 are squirrly drivers in the trails! rofl so i thought they offered a 4.86 r&p for the suby trans? what is the current r&p ratio?

That's what makes the trails so much fun.   :m  Like DS, my last 091 had a super diff, and with cutting brake, we could turn that thing 180 ^ no problem, but it was a lot lighter front end then my car now, and round buffed tires. 

Offline BrianN

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2019, 04:39:26 PM »
I was told there was a 4.86 before. I can only find a 4.44 now. SubaruGears makes a lower set, but they are special made. I have a 3.9 in my buggy now. I have another trans with 3.9, and one with a 4.11. The 4.11 won't make a noticable difference in my situation, though. I have talked myself into staying with the stock open diff and turning brakes. I think the key is just to not be "on the gas" when using them. I did come across a lot of info on this subject on forums and internet. The more I learn, the more confused I get!!!

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2019, 11:04:42 AM »
I was told there was a 4.86 before. I can only find a 4.44 now. SubaruGears makes a lower set, but they are special made. I have a 3.9 in my buggy now. I have another trans with 3.9, and one with a 4.11. The 4.11 won't make a noticable difference in my situation, though. I have talked myself into staying with the stock open diff and turning brakes. I think the key is just to not be "on the gas" when using them. I did come across a lot of info on this subject on forums and internet. The more I learn, the more confused I get!!!

well the 4.44 from a 3.9 will be a noticeable diff. maybe not night and day but def noticeable. now if they offered on with 4 spider gears that would be the way to go. not matter what cutting brakes are taxing on diffs. its all a trade off one way or another. on a side note..... when i had the fully built 091 ( not a dons bus box pile as they are not fully built not even actually built) i would stomp the tall skinny pedal while ripping the cutting brake w/o issues for 3 years. that had a weddle super diff and 4 spider gears.
Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal