Author Topic: I want it i need it.....its time  (Read 24763 times)

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
Re: I want it i need it.....its time
« Reply #180 on: March 20, 2024, 08:29:45 PM »

" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #181 on: March 25, 2024, 11:21:21 AM »
Didn't take any pics but all a arms are built and fully welded. Shocks mounts were next on the list but, started looking closely at the shifting system .  Mounting the  the rear shocks is a half a day task, no big deal. The shift system is proving to be challenging. This hv24 trans is so different , to all the other builds that there are simply no off the shelf parts to aid in installing, not in a mid engine configuration anyway. I believe the trans to be superior to the mendi 2d but not sure by how much. If not by much then not worth it, especially now thats its $5k more and that doesn't make any sense either.

Running push pull cables directly to the shift shafts is a no go. It would be the cleanest and simplest way but not possible.. I know Sean at weddle discourages the use of bell crank like systems on the shifters but I have no choice. My frame simply isn't wide enough to accommodate a large enough dia 90* turn on the cable. The forward shift shaft will also need an extension made due to frame dimension constraints. Spent half a day with 3 diff length cable and 2 diff brands, looking for better ways to connect. Going to have to stop at speedway tonight for parts.

" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #182 on: March 25, 2024, 06:34:05 PM »
It's always something isn't it?  I dropped the engine in buggy and was bolting up the torque converter to flexplate studs. Lo and behold the second one just pulled out . Wasn't even any torque involved. Well eff me. WTF was I to do? I'll start a thread.  :m
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #183 on: March 26, 2024, 08:47:18 AM »
It's always something isn't it?  I dropped the engine in buggy and was bolting up the torque converter to flexplate studs. Lo and behold the second one just pulled out . Wasn't even any torque involved. Well eff me. WTF was I to do? I'll start a thread.  :m

It is always something! I am going in today for another round of injections into my eye ball again. Been lucky that I've gone 3 months with out them. So sat will be the soonest I can get back on it and I will have to be extra extra careful. I stopped at speedway and bought $200 worth of .25" heims, male/ female and studded. All thread hardened  .25"/28tpi rod , and 2 diff style bell cranks. Sat down last night and I believe I have a game plan. The front cable i know for sure but 2 options on the rear. Going to put some hydra mat in the tank I have and use it until I have more time to make patterns for where I want to put it. Since all my electronics are in the wing I am just going to mount it higher over the tank and make diff side panels just to get this rail back on the sand.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2024, 11:06:39 AM by dsrace »

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #184 on: March 26, 2024, 11:07:43 AM »
probably going to leave the front fox airs on for the next trip too. we will see as i don't have a camper to repair and prep for the trip anymore!!

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #185 on: March 28, 2024, 08:36:27 AM »
Got another round of shots in my eye tues. Out for a few days but I'm very hopeful ill get back to it sat. My eye didn't bruise with the last shot but it has half way of what it looked like back in Oct. It is what it is I suppose. Looks like I GET TO pay the doc to stab me in the eye ,twice, every 9 weeks for the rest of this year. Since that is how it has gone thus far he decided it was just best to schedule as such.

I have a lot to get done on the rail but honestly, at this point,  what I wanted to take my time sorting out isn't going to happen. This rail needs to make the trip so ill do what I can. My goal for this weekend ( if my eye allows ) is to have the shocks mounted, frame work done, new rci tank mounted, shifter cables mounted so I can order new cables, and if possible, radiator and intercooler. Need to drop the motor back in to weld in new mounts but thats only 4 tabs.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #186 on: March 31, 2024, 06:38:52 AM »
Took longer then it should've but I got the mid engine shift assembly built. Re built and rebuilt again  :m  :nw I can comfortably speed shot 2nd to 3rd in the garage  :m getting the height just right on the levers was trial and error as the leverage factor becomes a feel preference. Going to try and get the tank and shocks mounted today and possibly the radiator. I got the tanks and shock placement mapped out yesterday.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #187 on: April 02, 2024, 07:24:16 AM »
I didn't get as much as I had hoped to over the weekend. I thought I got the majority mapped out and did but now the shifter system has to come out. So I've been running the pbs gen 1 shifter system this whole time. When I bought this trans Sean said that was a great shifter to adapt to this trans. I don't think he knows the differences between gen 1 and gen 2 design. I know I didn't until last night either.

A thanks to BrianN for the pbs system way back when.

So I put 4.5 hrs into making brackets, modifying tabs, re routing cables for the straightest lines and least number of bell  cranks or adaptors. I noticed reverse wasn't as shown in the diagram and thought, this is clearly the wrong diagram. The hv1, hv2 and hv25 have a diff shift pattern. The hv5 because its a 5 speed but hv1 and hv24 are diff. I thought they prob sent me the hv1 by mistake so I proceeded on that assumption. Its my fault but now I get to cut it out and start over. I didn't take pics of anything but the gen 2 shifter is reversed when compared to the gen1. Reversed as in it throws the cables the opposite direction and turns out that what I need. So that will work perfectly but, physically the shifter body needs a 2" lift to get the handle back to the height its at now and the shifter assy is more forward sitting in relation to the mount which changes the length of the cables. Thank goodness I didn't order new cables sun evening. I spent an hr measuring them to know which lengths to order.  So after a few discussions with a sales person and then Ron the owner, the diagram has 1st thru 4th correct but rev is clockwise rather then counter clockwise. Which means one has to push into the detent to shift 1st second and from N position, 3rd 4th are straight up and down. Reverse will be to the right, into the detent and up.

I will have to fab a rev lock out so one cannot accidentally hit reverse speed shifting to 3rd.

So currently, reverse is into the detent left and down, what I thought was 1st 2nd is from N straight up and down and 3rd 4th is into the detent to the right up and down. Turns out 1st is to the rt and down, 2nd is rt and up, 4th is straight up and 3rd is straight down from the resting N position. I'm not sure I can relearn that pattern enough to leave it. Now, it would make a great theft deternet  :m

I don't have the hv1 shift direction diagram. Its online. Here is hv24 andc25

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #188 on: April 02, 2024, 08:48:12 AM »
Oh,the joys of a mid engine.  Rear engine is a piece of cake. Your issues are why I went with a sequential.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #189 on: April 02, 2024, 10:10:28 AM »
Oh,the joys of a mid engine.  Rear engine is a piece of cake. Your issues are why I went with a sequential.

Beginning to regret not going sequential.  Rear engine shifter systems are available at weddle. 2 years ago Sean said they were working on a mid engine system. Ron weddle stayed that again yesterday  ;D :nw

I know its a good trans, the lack of info and accessories support as in bolt on weldable flanges, shifter systems or even the shaft couplers to use as a base. This trans is completely foreign to all of the common trans .

Yes mid engine is always a struggle or more of a struggle but I pre fer it. When one finds they just wasted 4.5 hrs and GET TO cut it all out and start over....really knocks the wond out of ones sails.  :m its my own fault, should've stopped when I saw the discrepancy and verified.

On another note, I tried every configuration, this recipe tank will not fit. My round one is going back in until I have time to design a custom tank. I spent 4 hrs, making a base mount, straps etc etc. Onto of frame constraints, the an 8 fitting on top of the trans for an external oil cooler cannot be capped. It has to be routed back into the trans. There is a secondary pair of an 8 ports for an external oil cooler.  I thought one could cap the top pair. It is what it is, ill get it usable for now and might even build a new frame.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #190 on: April 02, 2024, 10:48:09 AM »
Frustration setting in any?
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #191 on: April 02, 2024, 11:13:22 AM »
 kick 5:  beathorse.gif~c200 Drowning bs1 :m LMAO

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #192 on: April 02, 2024, 03:15:40 PM »
Soooooo.all is normal?
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #193 on: April 02, 2024, 03:21:28 PM »
I'd ask if you are pulling your hair out but................well you know. :m
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #194 on: April 02, 2024, 04:52:17 PM »
I'd ask if you are pulling your hair out but................well you know. :m

LMAO ya I still have my last 3 hairs. Going to start cutting the old shifter out tonight.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal