Author Topic: LS fall trip Oct 13-18 2020 Dedicated To Fastcorvairs Memory  (Read 41317 times)

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
Re: LS fall trip Oct 13-18 2020 year of the chinese flu
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2020, 02:19:09 PM »
no from wheelies per say. its a combination of loads that has led to the crack in my case the crack is on the outside of the tube spreading around. it happened to be at an intersections so more brittle there from combined heat. most dont know but my right rear wheel flexes just enough in the wheel bearing that it pushes my brake pads back. this only happens during the hard trail runs. i of course turn left mor than  right so i side load that wheel quite a bit. during the wheelies off the first hill out the gate. i bottomed out at the base as i hit it dead on straight at to high of a rate of speed. i do not have external/internal by pass shocks aiding the primaries or that prob wouldn't ave happened. when i hit it was hard enough to bend my skid plate for the first time since installed. how do i know? i change te oil after every trip. so if you look at the pic of the crack again. notice thats my upper a arm connection point. imagine the different loads being applied to that point
Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2020, 07:10:28 PM »
It's from all the new POWer you have now!
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2020, 03:48:20 PM »
It's from all the new POWer you have now!

well thats an interesting thought......hmmmm    lol ya it has a noticable extra few ponies  ;D   dead stop take if a very noticable difference. thats odd too cause the new cam usually trades bottom end for top end.  i am definately loading everything a tiny , smidgen , minute amount more. LMAO

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2020, 07:56:11 PM »
so enemy can add more infor than i can. they claim the head/cam combo is a bolt on 75 hp bump. this is with proper tuning of course and proper installation. i must have got it right  :D cause turned down 10 psi to only 20, it sure feels like i ave all the top end i had at 30 psi. def more bottome end and i say that from a dead stop take off in 2nd gear.  i am def impressed with the combo for sure. 

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2020, 07:20:09 AM »
with the previous super leaking exhaust flange and all the o2 coming in screwing up your previous combo didn't stand a chance of running right. Then it went to leaking again with the new combo. I assume you have it sealed up tight now tho. I bet you the tune is really coming around now.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2020, 11:42:10 AM »
to behonest, after re tightening at the dunes it hasnt leaked again. i have better wrenches at home to really tighten it better. have not done anything with the tune since. i tried to tap the sand out of my keyboard the last day at the dunes. i forgot the screen detaches so ....ya ....it hit the floor and crushed the screen. i have 2 more lap tops as back ups lol. not the 1st time i dropped a lap top, infact its the 2nd time.  the first exh manifold i had never leaked and never came up loose. i do not know why this one has and i am using the same bolts. i know it was warped when he welded it but i had it surfaced before this trip. so i will get that taken care of for sure. it still doesnt leak as bad as before. you can def tell a diff when its tight  LMAO

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2020, 09:20:34 AM »
so i spent 2 solid days working on various areas of my rail. been putting off a few things so the weekend was  a good time to get all the boxes checked off lol i need to order the switch to program my fuel gauge but other then that.....

i noticed a crack in my frame while i had the exh off repairing it. so i V'd the  crack and welded it then over welded it as i did the opposite side. i do not know why i did that on the drivers side but it has not cracked so ...ya.   i added a gusset to the pass side as well as it had to be flexing outward to crack in that manner.   

i decided to re align the rear end as i havent done it since i bolted it together for the first time. ya ya i dont practice what i preech lol   it had developed an additional 1* neg camber and 3\8" toe in. 1 turn of the heim set camber back to -.5* and 1\2 turn to set toe. 

changed my cv boot.....i hate cv's !   the tear was on the peak but its at a diaganol , sort of. must have been when i missed a couple turns in the trails and made new ones. i can see that the bellows are rubbing on one another and leaving a groove.

swapped the fuse block out and swapped 10g wires to 6g wires. i still need to order shifter cables.  zipped up a bunch of small things as well.

what brands and number of bellow boots is everyone running?

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2020, 05:14:43 PM »
I run genuine Bates 930(NOT copies) over the cv boots. I got mine from Kartek. So far I have not had a failure in approx 10 years. I still have the spares I bought at the same time and have been thinking of putting them on for the last few years. :m
« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 08:46:35 PM by fabr »
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 09:02:20 PM by fabr »
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2020, 07:00:12 AM »
for some reason i thought yours had half that number of ribs/pleats. mine are moog brand for f150 front cv's.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2020, 07:02:20 AM »
carl runs the same boot w/o issue and i did too on my busa at 5* more engle. now the bates are def better quality material. i saw another  brand that had 4 pleats/ribs vs all mine have. do you think that would be better or worse for high angle??

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Last Edit: June 16, 2020, 09:47:37 AM by fabr »
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2020, 09:46:07 AM »
 ;)   had one in my hand before the spring trip. wasnt sure what i thought about it. didnt look like it would rub but they were a pretty stiff boot. my issue this last trip may have been something in the weeds and bushes i drove through when i could make a turn in the trails. that happened twice. the last 3 were because the drive flange at the trans had a pin hole in the spline seal, venting trans case heat into the boot. i used clamps on both ends do they sealed and no release. that one balooned up like a baloon!  still a better quality of material would be better. i have 7 more moog before i swap lol

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal