Author Topic: Major Change  (Read 13324 times)

Offline Punkur67

Re: Major Change
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2017, 12:47:26 PM »
It is a 1970. I don't know a bunch about them. I know it has a motor out of a 74. Was file injected that was converted to carb. I think swing axle means it has tubes on both sides right? Mine has axles. Maybe someone changed it from original. I might have a good deal on a split window bug that I might pick up. Not sure yet. Really in the end all I am gonna use is the body off the bug. Like the idea of shutting the doors and staying out of the elements. Also the idea of street legal is cool. Thinking subi motor with an 094 would be an ok setup.
If you are doing the dirt and street only you could even get away with something like an ecotec. My buddy ran a big baja bug with a Tatum billet A arm front end with a stock ecotec and it ran great in the dirt and to the swap meet. It did struggle in the dunes though. Too bad you weren't looking a couple months ago. I had a built 091 and 2.0 subie for sale that would have been perfect.
Its better to be a smartass than a dumbass!

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2017, 12:47:36 PM »
It is a 1970. I don't know a bunch about them. I know it has a motor out of a 74. Was file injected that was converted to carb. I think swing axle means it has tubes on both sides right? Mine has axles. Maybe someone changed it from original. I might have a good deal on a split window bug that I might pick up. Not sure yet. Really in the end all I am gonna use is the body off the bug. Like the idea of shutting the doors and staying out of the elements. Also the idea of street legal is cool. Thinking subi motor with an 094 would be an ok setup.
thumbs up on subi/built 094 or091 .
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

boltz

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2017, 01:20:07 PM »
I wish i would have had this project back then. I would have been interested in your old setup. Subi it is then. I can order the stuff to build the 094 and build it myself. From what i have read so far the 094 is the easiest to build due to not needing specialized jigs or tools.

boltz

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2017, 01:33:37 PM »
Thinking about going this route for the front end and a few other elements of the bug. I like the look of the A-Arms. In the end the idea is i want to be able to take the body off without a lot of disassembly. I want to be able to put the body on and keep all the elements out. I seen the black one with a Tatum front end you were talking about. I like the loos and stance of that thing.

Offline Punkur67

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2017, 01:40:31 PM »
I wish i would have had this project back then. I would have been interested in your old setup. Subi it is then. I can order the stuff to build the 094 and build it myself. From what i have read so far the 094 is the easiest to build due to not needing specialized jigs or tools.
My dad bought my old setup to put in is car and he may be interested in selling it cause he is not sure about going back out to the desert due to heath issues. Its still sitting on the garage floor if you are interested I can ask him.

boltz

« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2017, 01:44:15 PM »
Yes ask him for me please. That would be awesome. Sorry to hear about the health issues with your dad. I hope everything works out ok and will keep you guys in our prayers.

Offline Punkur67

« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2017, 01:44:22 PM »

Offline Punkur67

« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2017, 01:45:40 PM »
Thinking about going this route for the front end and a few other elements of the bug. I like the look of the A-Arms. In the end the idea is i want to be able to take the body off without a lot of disassembly. I want to be able to put the body on and keep all the elements out. I seen the black one with a Tatum front end you were talking about. I like the loos and stance of that thing.
Are you going to design yourself or buy an A arm front end ready to go?

boltz

« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2017, 02:15:00 PM »
Designing it myself. Just want to do it a little different than the norm. Which is why those on the red car caught my eye.

boltz

« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2017, 02:16:48 PM »
Funny enough I have that car as my background on my laptop. The black bug your buddy built. I like the stance of that thing. It's def a sweet ride.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 06:22:53 PM by boltz »

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2017, 06:05:17 PM »
this should be a good build!
Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

boltz

« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2017, 06:17:52 PM »
I am hoping it will be. It will be a slow one for sure. Got to buy all new fab tools for this build. Nasty divorce took care of ALL of my tools. Did not take care of the snap-on bill though. LOL Will get there though. I know this is an RC car but i think im going to do my roof rack like this and mount my LED light bar on the front of it.

boltz

« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2017, 06:21:47 PM »
Hey Dsrace.. will these A-Arms work? Or is this some kind of proof of concept?

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2017, 08:04:11 PM »
i don't know if that's a concept design but looks like a pic in a shop. will they work.....yes if built correctly. are they over kill for sand....yes imo but not a bad thing either it really comes down to need or whats available.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2017, 08:06:03 PM »
if i were to guess i would guess the uppers are like that for room for the shocks and clearence of the hood in a limited space area. that's my opinion and cannot say for sure because i know nothing about that build.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal