Author Topic: Summer Upgrades  (Read 27810 times)

Offline Punkur67

Summer Upgrades
« on: August 04, 2016, 01:47:54 PM »
Well i picked up a used intercooler and that snowballed bad. I ended up with an used fresh 2.5 subaru, rebuilt mendeola 2d, used microstubs, new seats, and some other misc parts. Got the old setup pulled out, cut some old mounts and tube out, and started installing the new setup this weekend
Its better to be a smartass than a dumbass!

Offline Punkur67

Re: Summer Upgrades
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2016, 01:51:12 PM »
New seats

Offline big dave

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2016, 03:44:29 PM »
so our you saying you pulled out a 2.0 and put in a 2.5. I sure could use some 2.0 parts. lol Good looking motor.

Offline Punkur67

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2016, 07:57:05 PM »
I had a 2.0 running 17 pounds of boost and a built 091. New motor is a new sti block with forged pistons and an aftermarket turbo. Outfront said they can do their 400hp race fuel tune with 15 pounds of boost on the setup for a few hundred dollars. Trans is a fresh mendeola 2D geared for the subie.
I will look through the garage and see what i have big dave
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 08:03:18 PM by Punkur67 »

Offline big dave

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2016, 10:47:27 PM »
  What kind of horsepower where you getting out of your 2.0? at 17 pounds of boost. I don't want to go over 300 horse, I run an 091 box built with all weddle gears  from Arizona transaxle. but they're only rated a 300 hp,.  So I kind of want to keep it under that or right at that. sounds like yours is going to be pretty mean with your new configuration.   I run with a guy here in town that's got an outback motor rated at 400  horse with a Mendiola it does scream. I'm sure you will love it.  I got fortunate and got into my 2.0 at the right price. everything polished turbo, adapter plate ECU and harness for two grand. couldn't pass it up. would love to upgrade to 2.5 down the road.  Really need to figure out the intercooler though that's the big find. Look forward to watching your build. looks like it's going to be fun.

Offline Punkur67

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2016, 05:10:37 AM »
I had a dyno sheet that showed 269 hp to the tires but after talking with John at Outfront he said there is no way. He said it was probably closer to that horsepower at the flywheel.  I trust him since building these motors is his specialty and he has built tons of them. He said lots of places manipulate the dyno to show better numbers. I got a steal on my motor too. I paid $2600 for the turnkey motor, adaptor, dual disk clutch, and ron davis radiator. And the motor came with a rebuild sheet from outfront showing a brand new STI block and aftermarket forged pistons. I may be interested in selling the intercooler setup i have. The outfront setup would leave me a little more room to lay the radiator down more. I am excited to drive the new setup for sure. My plan is to have the deck closed on my motor next summer so i can turn the boost up and get closer to 500hp.

Offline sandracer1

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2016, 08:23:17 PM »
That sure is a nice upgrade! More HP more fun!

Offline Punkur67

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2016, 08:07:43 AM »
Picked up the new fuel tank last Monday and started mounting it. Also drew up the new rear trailing arms with a buddy yesterday. He has some fine tuning to do before we cut them but we have the basic design figured out now.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2016, 11:00:05 AM »
Nice work.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline big dave

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2016, 11:39:20 AM »
tank is sweet. oil pan arrived looked great. thanks

Offline BDKW1

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2016, 12:10:44 PM »
I would shitcan the bushing inner. If you ever need to adjust it, the bushing will not. Uniball's work much better.

Offline Punkur67

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2016, 01:43:13 PM »
I would shitcan the bushing inner. If you ever need to adjust it, the bushing will not. Uniball's work much better.

I am bolting these to the existing trailing arm tube and did not want to remove the existing mounts if possible. I thought about the uniballs but was not sure if the arms would retain the same arc if the inner pivot could rotate. Have you ever built arms with them?

Offline Punkur67

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2016, 01:45:37 PM »
tank is sweet. oil pan arrived looked great. thanks

Thanks. That is good to hear. I was going to message you to ask but did not get a chance.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2016, 03:45:55 PM »
the mouning points on the chassis dictate arc during trailering arm swing so the uniballs won't change the angle or direction the trailing arm swings. they will just give you the ability to adjust tow and camber way easier than the bushing which does allow for a little but not much adjustment. you'll have to make spacer to fit in to the pivot pocket.
Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

Offline Yummi

• Grumpy, Sneezey and Dopey all rolled into one.
  • Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2016, 07:19:16 AM »
We have a mouse in the works.  I have to be on the road.  No time. 

Last post to salvage:

Fabr - I agree with ds and bdkw
I like things that move.   Pretty much limits me to cars and strippers

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal