Author Topic: Chenowth build/resto project  (Read 23578 times)

Offline komelika

• Never stop learning!
Re: Chenowth build/resto project
« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2016, 07:47:03 AM »
The upper tins are all there. The lower tins are the typical chrome, square tins that bolt on to the exhaust headers and look like they are more for protecting the cylinders from rocks, but there is an air deflector pinned in between the cylinders on the bottom to route air to along the lower fins. I'm reading that type 3 cooling tins may help too. I think I may run it like it is with a baja style and see what the temps look like with the remote cooler and make changes as necessary.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003LIUVYI/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1U0N4BK8THEC6&coliid=I1YRDKMYPWLJC5
If you remain calm while everything around you is complete chaos... then you probably haven't fully understood the situation!

http://sandjunky710.blogspot.com/

Offline komelika

• Never stop learning!
« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2016, 04:45:35 PM »
Fine FABR, have it your way!  pl.gif

Installed my linear actuator for the light bar.

In Action:
If you remain calm while everything around you is complete chaos... then you probably haven't fully understood the situation!

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2016, 07:24:53 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D You'll be glad you did. I have to add one to mine when I get the time.  Unique way of mounting it.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline komelika

• Never stop learning!
« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2016, 08:09:13 PM »
I didn't want to buy two so this option kept the cost down. Another consideration is keeping it out of the elements as much as possible. NM sun is brutal! On the safety side of things, I didn't like the idea of mounting them on top and having them possibly come in and hit me or my passenger in the event of a roll over (which I hope to never do again). I did order some Supra 20" struts to stabilize better in the rough stuff.

It looks low in the pics, but it doesn't block my vision at all.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: January 27, 2016, 08:15:13 PM »
cool!
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline komelika

• Never stop learning!
« Reply #50 on: February 04, 2016, 01:12:08 PM »
Got a little time in the garage today and worked on my electrical box. I went with a humidor.

First the mount.

These will be replaced with Nyloc nuts.

I made a stand off to keep the components off the bottom in case it ever gets submerged and water gets in through the bottom.

I like this location for ease of access. I mounted the box off center of the plate to keep from crowding my foot at the throttle.

Offline BDKW1

« Reply #51 on: February 05, 2016, 12:23:44 AM »
36HP style shroud without heater vents. I still put a mesh box in where the oil cooler is supposed to be. Keeps the airflow balanced.

OE cylinder tins!!!!! None of the aftermarket ones have the deflectors in them. Makes for very un even airflow around the head. "Cool tins" bottom tins help even out the flow on the bottom side and will keep your cylinders round. Also need the flat deflector that snaps in the bottom side of the heads.

Welded fan!!!!!!!!!!

Offline BDKW1

« Reply #52 on: February 05, 2016, 12:34:06 AM »
Stock tins.....

Someone was making aftermarket deflectors that you could weld into shitty tins, Can't remember who though.

Offline komelika

• Never stop learning!
« Reply #53 on: February 05, 2016, 05:10:42 AM »
Stock tins.....

Someone was making aftermarket deflectors that you could weld into shitty tins, Can't remember who though.

Good to know! Thanks!

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #54 on: February 05, 2016, 06:01:22 AM »
Stock tins.....

Damn ,those pics bring back memories of a lot of days in the VW dealership engine room. Yep,original tins are designed correctly. Those original straight slot screws................................ 5:
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline komelika

• Never stop learning!
« Reply #55 on: February 05, 2016, 09:24:28 AM »
Getting paid $200 plus shipping to fab a light bar (no lights) for another rail after someone on a different board saw mine. That's pretty cool!

Offline BDKW1

« Reply #56 on: February 05, 2016, 11:27:26 AM »
Z Germans put a lot of time and effort into designing the cooling system, Aftermarket parts, not so much on the engineering.

I built My last VtroubleU motor using the above combo. All 4 cylinders were within 5% of each other on airflow when checked at the bottom tin opening.

2110 with 9.5-1 and a 110 cam. No pinging even pushing around the heavier glass car.

Funny thing is, over the past 30 years or so, I have yet to see a set of heater flaps in a shroud. First thing everybody ditched in Kalifornia........

Offline komelika

• Never stop learning!
« Reply #57 on: February 06, 2016, 08:23:07 PM »
I got my carb rebuild kit from Dune Buggy Warehouse today. Hard to believe they actually shipped it like this, but as you can see the gaskets were destroyed. What a waste of time! I would avoid this seller if you order parts from amazon. I absolutely love amazon and I have no doubt this will be cleared up, but the time is wasted by this seller.

It was shipped in a USPS envelope along with the air cleaner, which was removed from its package so it could fit.

Really, this is their idea of shipping something so fragile?

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #58 on: February 06, 2016, 11:27:31 PM »
A bit of permatex #2 and it'll be good as new................

W0W!!!
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline komelika

• Never stop learning!
« Reply #59 on: February 07, 2016, 09:46:27 AM »
Seller responded and is replacing the kit, ensures it will be packaged properly, and issuing a full refund so all that is wasted now is time.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal