Author Topic: Say What? Bad day at the dunes  (Read 21818 times)

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
Re: Say What? Bad day at the dunes
« Reply #75 on: May 20, 2014, 06:34:53 AM »
I does work well, but is a serious PITA. I hate working with it. The only real advantage to it is it's high temp performance.

Have also had good luck with the CAT gold in the front of 4WD pre-runners.

The NEO CV grease also holds up well and is about a million times easier to clean up than the Bel-ray/Swepco mix.

Have also heard really good things about this stuff, but have yet to use it Myself due to cost. Maybe when somebody else is paying for it I will give it a go LOL....
http://syntheticlubricants.aerospacelubricants.com/item/semiconductor-optical---industrial-oem/tribolube-5/pc05-9443?&plpver=10&origin=advsrch&by=prod&filter=0&categid=3001259&prodid=3001092

In reading all the infor on this stuff it still only shows a 350* working temp.  Yes it dose show a 550* dropping point but not that hi on the working temps. 

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #76 on: May 20, 2014, 07:06:01 AM »
This just all comes back down to the fact that plunging cv's are really being pushed beyond their limits. If we really need(we do,unfortunately)grease capable of lubing at 500-600 degreesF and full of moly at 5-20% we are just kidding ourselves about longevity of cv's.  What is needed is a move towards non plunging cv's like some of us have done.  They are available from RCV  for 930 size. What is needed now is the 934 size from them. The running temp of a non plunge compared to a plunging cv is dramatically  higher. That is the problem. It is not the components fault we are pushing them past their limits of remaining lubed.

Yep.  The intended purpose of the 930 joint was transfer of fairly large power in a vehicle with what, 6" wheel travel. 
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #77 on: May 20, 2014, 09:44:23 AM »
This just all comes back down to the fact that plunging cv's are really being pushed beyond their limits. If we really need(we do,unfortunately)grease capable of lubing at 500-600 degreesF and full of moly at 5-20% we are just kidding ourselves about longevity of cv's.  What is needed is a move towards non plunging cv's like some of us have done.  They are available from RCV  for 930 size. What is needed now is the 934 size from them. The running temp of a non plunge compared to a plunging cv is dramatically  higher. That is the problem. It is not the components fault we are pushing them past their limits of remaining lubed.

i use non plunging 930 cv's from rcv on the inside and 1997 f150 on my outers. i have checked them with my temp gun many times on a 4 day trip to LS.  the inners which are the non plung 930's from rcv and pretty consistantly saw 175* and 145* on the outer 97 f150. the f150 cv's have a larger surface area than the non plunge 930 as well. the cat gold grease says max temp 500* so i figured average operating temp would prob be around 250*  or 300*, i figured i was covered this way. the tube says it only has 5% moly in it.   btw u-joints run about half that temp maybe a hair over half but none the less. i was checking enemy's u-joints at the same time as mine.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 12:28:28 PM by Dsrace »
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Offline Carlriddle

« Reply #78 on: May 22, 2014, 05:12:29 AM »
Fast, you been quiet here last few days.  Does that mean you've been a busy bee in the shop?  Hows it going?

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
« Reply #79 on: May 22, 2014, 08:35:32 AM »
Fast, you been quiet here last few days.  Does that mean you've been a busy bee in the shop?  Hows it going?

You are correct sir. 

Been hammering it for the last two days.  Finished up on the bearing carriers last night late and off to be powder coated this morning. Told the nice lady at the desk that there would be two brand new bengies to her if she pushed them thru today or early tomorrow. Put a big smile on her face and she said she could make that happen.   Got all the gusset's done and started to tig them on but ran out of argon.  Had to finish with the wire feed but they will hold together.  I'll bet my life on them. They don't look pristine but look's don't count anymore.    Big brown truck had left all my new cv's and boots at the back door when I got home from work yesterday and the fed-x truck left my shock rebuild stuff on my desk also.  Only thing now is for the the big brown truck to get me my shock ends today.  I'll work on cleaning up the shop tonight, looks like a bull went in the front door and out the back at a full run.  Most time consuming thing left now is the shocks and string lining the center of the car so I can line the rear suspension back up on assembly. 

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Offline BDKW1

« Reply #80 on: May 22, 2014, 09:30:01 AM »
Argon bottles aren't supposed to run out unless it's after the welding store has closed on sat................

Which reminds Me, I need to fill My spare................

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #81 on: May 22, 2014, 10:55:00 AM »
Spare???? What is this thing you call a spare???
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Lance-W

« Reply #82 on: May 22, 2014, 12:28:37 PM »
Spare = the Sunday bottle after you empty the Saturday bottle cause the welding store doesn't open till Monday

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #83 on: May 22, 2014, 12:44:25 PM »
Spare = the Sunday bottle after you empty the Saturday bottle cause the welding store doesn't open till Monday
rofl the only spare bottles I ever have are the ones with the wrong gas in them. rofl  Actually ,the airgas dealer here lets me take a spare anytime I need it  for as long as it takes for me to empty my current bottle-off the books.  Sometimes that ends up being a month or more till I return the empty.  I have been dealing with them for a very long time under 3 different ownerships. Smallville,USA-gotta love it.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
« Reply #84 on: May 22, 2014, 02:18:10 PM »
Oky doky, in by eight out by two.  Just goes to show what two fresh benjim's will do.  :laugh:  Big brown truck dropped off the rest of my shock parts.  Another hi hi ho for Carl for the web link.  Every one has come thru so it's going to be a lone three day week end.   Finish car then get the trailer ready.  And some where in between get the ice cream freezers loaded.

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #85 on: May 22, 2014, 02:32:15 PM »
Don't worry about a thing other than the ice cream freezers. Nothing else matters........................
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Carlriddle

« Reply #86 on: May 22, 2014, 02:55:31 PM »
Don't worry about a thing other than the ice cream freezers. Nothing else matters........................
^^^^What he said X 2^^^^

I picking up 2nd freezer and wife found missing lid.  ;D  Looking good Glen, test time shortly.

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #87 on: May 22, 2014, 04:26:00 PM »
He better test the crap out of it. St.A's is only a couple weeks after LS!!
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
« Reply #88 on: May 22, 2014, 08:18:58 PM »
He better test the crap out of it. St.A's is only a couple weeks after LS!!

drowning kick 10:

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #89 on: May 22, 2014, 09:09:41 PM »
Hey,I've been there!!!! 
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal