Author Topic: Say What? Bad day at the dunes  (Read 21813 times)

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
Re: Say What? Bad day at the dunes
« Reply #45 on: May 15, 2014, 03:18:30 PM »
so what did mark at marks sand trans say?
Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
« Reply #46 on: May 16, 2014, 07:32:57 AM »
so what did mark at marks sand trans say?

Mark hasn't got back with me yet.  I went ahead this morning and ordered a set of the .875 2.225 eyelets from Poly Performance. Thanks for the link Carl. I hope they have them.  I'll call today and confirm that they do and shipped. These are about .500 taller so my spring pad will stand up that much higher.  I have always had to keep my bearing carrier twisted back about ten degrees so the transverse rod perch did not interfere with the spring perch. This situation always gave me about .25 more toe at full bump.  Having that extra .500 higher spring perch will let me rotate the carrier straight up and down.  Or ninety degree's to the ground. Going to change out my rear top tender springs form the 400# in the car now to 450# springs. That will give 450 over 450. Mite take care of the small amount of coil bind that I have now.   

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
« Reply #47 on: May 16, 2014, 07:42:35 AM »
Got the drivers side bearing carrier off last night and have both going to the sand blaster this morning.  Look close at the inside outer plate of the trailing arm bracket.  You can see that it to has started cracking.  I think this situation has been evolving for some time.  I could only imagine what would have happened if this had gave way while hauling ass threw one of them bowls out in Glamis.  drowning

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #48 on: May 16, 2014, 09:18:33 AM »
ahhhhh that woulda been ugly at the bottom of a bowl!!
Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
« Reply #49 on: May 19, 2014, 07:40:25 AM »
Just can't win for losing.  Got my axle's tore down and cleaned Sunday and found three of the four toasted.   This really pissesssssssssssss me off.   I use what should be the best grease fifty fifty mix Molly 101 and Belay. This stuff is like 40 or 50 bucks a tube.   Boots are grate no leakage.  Grease stuck on the stars and a total biotech to get off. Just as much grease in them as the day they were packed.   These are RCV's best $220.00 cv's with the inside one's having the 300M stars and the outside one's having the 4130 stars.  All have the special coated 4130 cage.  I only have about .250 plunge and I have my suspicion strapped off at 22 degrees. 

And to make matters worse I'v been told I drive like a little old blue haired lady.   drowning LMAO

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
« Reply #50 on: May 19, 2014, 07:42:31 AM »
PS

The worse one is from the opposite side of the damage. 

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: May 19, 2014, 07:54:17 AM »
It's that thick ,tacky,slow flowing grease concoction many,like you,  run IMO.  Not trying to be a smartass or anything but ,it has long been my thinking that the cv lube needs to be moly rich without being thick .    That way it can flow easily back into place each time the cv balls wipe the tracks "dry" as the cv cycles each and every revolution.   I also feel that the cv boot actually acts as a "pump" transferreng the grease from side to side of the cv.  Too high viscosity or too much tack will prevent this important action,IMHO.     I'm suggesting a high quality,low viscosity bearing lube to which is added a large amount of moly paste,approximately 4oz. paste to tube. Mix well. Basically camshaft break in lube. LOL!!!!!
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #52 on: May 19, 2014, 08:00:45 AM »
The lube never gets warm drivin like old bue hair.   rofl 

I'm suprised you couldn't hear those clicking.
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
« Reply #53 on: May 19, 2014, 08:03:00 AM »
The lube never gets warm drivin like old bue hair.   rofl 

I'm suprised you couldn't hear those clicking.

Not a sound.  Quite as a church mouse. 

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
« Reply #54 on: May 19, 2014, 08:07:39 AM »
Believe me when I say that if they were clicking my wife would beat the hell out of my knee letting know there was something wrong.  Sylvia can hear a pin drop in a wind storm at a hundred :o yards.  Don't care how much back ground noise from my and everyone else's engines there is.  If anything changes tune on that call she will know.  You all want to be careful what you say in your trailers at night.  NASA ain't got nothing on her.   rofl :o :o 
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 08:11:45 AM by fastcorvairs »

Offline deano

• VIP
« Reply #55 on: May 19, 2014, 08:30:34 AM »
that is too bad, but good that you found now .it's pisssssing for sure  :k

Offline BDKW1

« Reply #56 on: May 19, 2014, 09:07:38 AM »
What brand of CV's are those? I don't think I have ever seen a star that bad.

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #57 on: May 19, 2014, 09:08:22 AM »
Crap, any chance RCV got em any can make good by end of week?   You get 'em straight from them or thru someone else?
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
« Reply #58 on: May 19, 2014, 09:56:57 AM »
What brand of CV's are those? I don't think I have ever seen a star that bad.

Two inter cv's are 300M stars from RCV.

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
« Reply #59 on: May 19, 2014, 10:05:01 AM »
Crap, any chance RCV got em any can make good by end of week?   You get 'em straight from them or thru someone else?

Just ordered four new cv's and boots over $900.00 with shipping. drowning.  Put and email into them for a copy of there liniment-ed life time warranty they talk about but I see nothing on there Webb page. I tied to put together a package of four rebuild kits 300M stars, 4131 cages and new balls. It came out within 200 bucks of all new cv's.  Even buying everything individually stars,cages and balls did not save that much.  kick.  The two inside cv's are there's that I bought about four years ago.  Full race 300M, 4130 the whole nine yards.   

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal