Author Topic: Check your nuts  (Read 9400 times)

Online fabr

• Administrator
Re: Check your nuts
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2011, 08:37:42 PM »
Uh,I dunno. Good point! Never really gave it any thought and obviously haven't still yet. rofl rofl rofl Maybe I just need to make sure the breakaway battery is good and call it a day. ;D ;D
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2011, 05:47:04 AM »
Where would you hookem on a fifth wheel to cross over under the front and support it??  ;)

Same goes for a gooseneck.  Only keep it in the truck bed. 
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Offline Yummi

• Grumpy, Sneezey and Dopey all rolled into one.
  • Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2011, 06:08:16 AM »
I always figured the 5th wheels did not need them as the locking mechanism was different and less prone to breakaway?
I like things that move.   Pretty much limits me to cars and strippers

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2011, 06:45:41 AM »
Unless you forget t put the pin in...............................................
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2011, 06:50:32 AM »
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

tinytimslaw2

« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2011, 08:18:55 AM »
Attached is alink to a list of states that have trailor requirements (this is probably only the states that replied).
Remember just because your state does not require something, doesn't remove you from civil action or even another law that would cover the situation, for example Georgia has no trailer chain requirements, but in the event of a detached trailer, an officer may write you for failure to secure load (would probably not happen unless there was property damage) or he might write you for one of many laws that are so vague, that they are often left up to the officers interpretation and eventually the Judges decision.
Civil suit, on the other hand, knows no boundries, if they can show deliberent indifference (there is not a law, but you were aware of the potential dangers, just go back and search any forum you may have ever posted on, ex-wife, ex-friend or stupid wife/ friend haha) 

I have seen two fifth wheels come loose from the hitch, they both landed on the pickup bed side walls, causeing damage to the truck but were easily controlled, fw are very stable, I think that goose necks are recommended / reqired to have chains, as most usage was with flat beds and therefore could easliy slide off (as time goes by GN have become increasingly more popular with RVs, who use regular p/u beds (I used one as a way to have more bed space. 

http://webspace.webring.com/people/jv/vintage_campers1/StateSafetyChainLaws.pdf

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2011, 08:43:46 AM »
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2011, 08:48:50 AM »
Attached is alink to a list of states that have trailor requirements (this is probably only the states that replied).
Remember just because your state does not require something, doesn't remove you from civil action or even another law that would cover the situation, for example Georgia has no trailer chain requirements, but in the event of a detached trailer, an officer may write you for failure to secure load (would probably not happen unless there was property damage) or he might write you for one of many laws that are so vague, that they are often left up to the officers interpretation and eventually the Judges decision.
Civil suit, on the other hand, knows no boundries, if they can show deliberent indifference (there is not a law, but you were aware of the potential dangers, just go back and search any forum you may have ever posted on, ex-wife, ex-friend or stupid wife/ friend haha) 

I have seen two fifth wheels come loose from the hitch, they both landed on the pickup bed side walls, causeing damage to the truck but were easily controlled, fw are very stable, I think that goose necks are recommended / reqired to have chains, as most usage was with flat beds and therefore could easliy slide off (as time goes by GN have become increasingly more popular with RVs, who use regular p/u beds (I used one as a way to have more bed space. 

http://webspace.webring.com/people/jv/vintage_campers1/StateSafetyChainLaws.pdf
Not correct. All states have reciprocity concerning trailer safety requirements. If it's legal in the state of registry it's 50 state legal. Example: many states have 40 foot limit on trailers but many allow longer. All you gotta do is be legal in my state of registry and I can pull my 43 footer legally in the states that have 40 foot limits. Some doofus officer may TRY to ticket you but he has no legal right to do so. Keep a copy of YOUR states statutes in the glove box.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Yummi

• Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2011, 08:57:39 AM »
No.  For example some states allow triples - try that in a state that does not.  A street legal vehicle in AZ may not be street legal in CA.  (Think rhino, quad, etc) 

Reciprocity does not apply on Motor vehicles 100%.

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2011, 09:07:01 AM »
No.  For example some states allow triples - try that in a state that does not.  A street legal vehicle in AZ may not be street legal in CA.  (Think rhino, quad, etc) 

Reciprocity does not apply on Motor vehicles 100%.

Why must you always apply logic?

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Offline Yummi

• Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2011, 09:07:50 AM »
Why must you always apply logic?

Because I am German.  (And right)

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2011, 09:23:34 AM »
I thought we were talking single trailer safety requirements . I'll admit tandems/triples are an exception just as are local restrictions,such as no trailers over limits not being allowed to be on the roadway where restricted . Using the triple trailer example,each individual trailer is required to have its' state of registry safety requirements and will be 50 state legal as individual trailers while not being allowed to run as triples in states not allowing triples. Each individual trailer,meeting the state of registry requirements, though IS legal for use in 50 states.Of course ,DOT requirements trump all.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2011, 09:26:49 AM »
Because I am German.  (And right)

Well I'm German and a Capricorn and just a tad left.  rofl

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2011, 09:44:43 AM »
Well,I'm about 1/4 German and a quarter Dutch. You know how right the germans are and how stubborn the dutch are................................ ;D ;D ;D Fast you going to cut 3 feet of your toyhauler for Glamis? I'm not. Remember Ariz and Cali are 40 foot max. ;D ;D ;D ;D rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2011, 09:49:49 AM »
Well,I'm about 1/4 German and a quarter Dutch. You know how right the germans are and how stubborn the dutch are................................ ;D ;D ;D Fast you going to cut 3 feet of your toyhauler for Glamis? I'm not. Remember Ariz and Cali are 40 foot max. ;D ;D ;D ;D rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl

I'll just trip the leo when he get to 40 feet.  Maybe he'll drop his tape and break it.   rofl

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal