Author Topic: 5 link rear sandcar suspension  (Read 54263 times)

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
Re: 5 link rear sandcar suspension
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2018, 10:31:19 PM »

i forgot about this pic  LMAO LMAO

Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

Offline BrianN

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2018, 10:36:40 PM »
I can't believe you actually understood what I was asking!! Believe it or not, I actually understand most of your info, after reading it once. Thanks. I will research the micro stubs more. I will not be aiming for 24" of travel, because I need to save money by using my Fox reservoir shocks. (Forget stroke length at the moment). I also need to know how to buy/build axles to mate to the Subaru mt5 transaxle, if the stock axles won't handle it. It was just a hope to keep things simple. I will get better pics of my project tomorrow. It is refreshing to learn from people with an open mind. All my stuff is hand made, so usually "goofy" . compared to "factory built"! Thanks to anyone with advise, and I hope to share info after I learn more myself. I don't see any links to pics that people are sending. Except for the sand parts and stubs.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2018, 10:44:35 PM »
the pics should just be there. here is a link to a video of mine. the purpose of the video isn't important but you can see pics of the carriers i built using the micro stubs and caliper mounts i posted links to. made them out of hot 50 steel.

here is a link to a build thread but this page has pictures of those carriers. now this is an a arm rear end but basics still apply.

https://dtsfab.com/index.php?topic=5336.180

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2018, 10:48:02 PM »
I can't believe you actually understood what I was asking!! Believe it or not, I actually understand most of your info, after reading it once. Thanks. I will research the micro stubs more. I will not be aiming for 24" of travel, because I need to save money by using my Fox reservoir shocks. (Forget stroke length at the moment). I also need to know how to buy/build axles to mate to the Subaru mt5 transaxle, if the stock axles won't handle it. It was just a hope to keep things simple. I will get better pics of my project tomorrow. It is refreshing to learn from people with an open mind. All my stuff is hand made, so usually "goofy" . compared to "factory built"! Thanks to anyone with advise, and I hope to share info after I learn more myself. I don't see any links to pics that people are sending. Except for the sand parts and stubs.

glad you understood and they make 930 flanges for that suby trans. so just get there flanges and go to 930 cv's. you want the high angle ones with over the boot flanges. this will simplify the work and i completely get the thought of stock axle assemblies. again i don't know if there 6 ball cv's on each end of the stock axle so i cannot say but i can say if there a tri pod on the inners then they will not work at all. if they are equal cv's on both ends then why not? if travel isn't important then then i would give it a try but look to see what years and models used the same spline count on stub axles so you can buy the longest axles suby offered. up to 28" long that is. if you go that route and suby used a 3 bolt wheel bearing then you'll need to make carriers to match that but as you know it's all doable! keep us posted and post pics.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 10:50:58 PM by dsrace »

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2018, 10:58:03 PM »
Damn ds! You gave him a lot to digest there. :m Brian,I/we KNOW you will probably have a lot of questions about what ds just posted. PLEASE don't be shy. Ask all the questions you need to understand it. We've ALL been there and we are very happy to help you in this endeavor. Most of us have learned a lot here and some knew absolutely nothing about suspension design yet most of us are pretty well versed now. I just happened to have ignored the multi link topics since I favor a arm rear suspensions.

;D ;D he asked  rofl brianN ask all the questions you need as fabr stated. were here to help! no such thing as a stupid question as long as it isn't why aren't utv's better than rails LMAO
Hey now! I've passed into the dark side ya know......................... well ,at least I still have the real buggies also.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2018, 11:07:47 PM »
YES!!!! You are going to fit right in here!!!
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2018, 11:51:57 PM »
Damn ds! You gave him a lot to digest there. :m Brian,I/we KNOW you will probably have a lot of questions about what ds just posted. PLEASE don't be shy. Ask all the questions you need to understand it. We've ALL been there and we are very happy to help you in this endeavor. Most of us have learned a lot here and some knew absolutely nothing about suspension design yet most of us are pretty well versed now. I just happened to have ignored the multi link topics since I favor a arm rear suspensions.

;D ;D he asked  rofl brianN ask all the questions you need as fabr stated. were here to help! no such thing as a stupid question as long as it isn't why aren't utv's better than rails LMAO
Hey now! I've passed into the dark side ya know......................... well ,at least I still have the real buggies also.

LMAO

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2018, 09:51:49 AM »
you should be able to see the pics i posted. they aren't links they are attached.

Offline BrianN

« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2018, 06:05:59 PM »
Yes, the pics are here. I haven't had time to watch vids or look at parts yet, but will shortly. Here are a few pics of the original car I bought, (purple) and things I have built. I barrel rolled and flipped it at high speed, when it was purple, because a spindle came apart, then the steering gear broke after that. That was when I unloaded it at my house, and cut the car apart before even going in the house. That way, I had to fix it! I have a WIDE cage now.

Offline BrianN

« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2018, 06:15:01 PM »
Before.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2018, 07:17:03 PM »
well looks a lot better than the origanal! so did you design and build the a arm front end? a arms look strong enough. no offesne on the spindles but they look a little weak as they look like link pin spindles. if they work and have been solid for you then they are strong enough! i see its a swing axle, so are you going to swap to an irs trans?

Offline BrianN

« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2018, 09:28:14 PM »
Yes, I made the entire front of the car, and suspension. I am surprised that the spindles look weak. They are very heavy duty. I will get  close up pics and post. The shafts are actually 4340 annealed material, full diameter entire length, gusseted through the 1/4" thick body. I built and installed bronze hubs into those wheels, to use large diameter bearings.No offense taken. I did put the tie rod mounts at a wrong angle, though. I couldn't fix, though, because they are actually fitted through the entire body, which attaches to the shaft, also. I already had about a zillion hours in them, so still use them. Yes, irs is the whole purpose of the multi link suspension. But I have the challenge of fitting axles to the Subaru trans.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2018, 11:15:54 PM »
Nice work. Where do you ride at? I see you're from Oklahoma so I assume Little Sahara?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 11:18:25 PM by fabr »
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline BrianN

« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2018, 11:37:53 PM »
Yes, Little Sahara. Not near as big as it was when I was a youngster, and 10 times as many people!  Mostly side x sides. Still fun, but the sand gets destroyed and rough. That probably isn't a problem at places like Glamis, but LS is only a couple of hours away.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2018, 11:45:30 PM »
We have a couple places there. I try to avoid any and all weekends or holidays. Much more fun when we have it nearly all to ourselves. You might give a heads up when you go next time.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal