Author Topic: DS a-arm kit information needed.  (Read 102007 times)

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
Re: DS a-arm kit information needed.
« Reply #255 on: July 14, 2021, 11:13:46 AM »
how much weight do you think this will shed? just a guess, you know  the front end weighs 92.65 lbs. of course, that is w/o the tubing you will use to blend it in .

looks like a great start and looks like it will be done soon!
Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

Offline Aprilfools

• Fabricator
« Reply #256 on: July 14, 2021, 12:26:23 PM »
I am thinking more than I originally thought, obviously your kit can be picked up and carried no problemo, it took 2 of us to carry out the front section we cut out!! I took it out in one piece just so I could see and feel the weight difference. 
I have done a 4 corner scale with a total weight as it was,  definitely will be doing another when it is completed. 
This is the before;

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #257 on: July 14, 2021, 03:08:48 PM »
I am thinking more than I originally thought, obviously your kit can be picked up and carried no problemo, it took 2 of us to carry out the front section we cut out!! I took it out in one piece just so I could see and feel the weight difference. 
I have done a 4 corner scale with a total weight as it was,  definitely will be doing another when it is completed. 
This is the before;

i am glad you you did as it will be very interesting to know how much weight you dropped off the front end!

on another note..... my rail is 110 lbs heavier  ;D :m  it's a tank but not the heaviest one in the group  ;) ;D :m

Offline big dave

« Reply #258 on: July 15, 2021, 09:50:41 AM »
YOUR GOING TO LOVE IT.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #259 on: July 18, 2021, 02:29:51 PM »
Ya,but mine rides like a magic flying carpet.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #260 on: July 18, 2021, 02:31:19 PM »
YOUR GOING TO LOVE IT.
That he will !
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Aprilfools

• Fabricator
« Reply #261 on: July 18, 2021, 06:59:12 PM »
Making some pretty good progress on it. Have the cradle all fully welded in now and the main braces in. Still have to put some more bracing in but wanted to get the steering shaft in first and mock up suspension before finishing up that.

If this rides half as good as it is starting to look with this swap i will be ecstatic!!

Offline Aprilfools

• Fabricator
« Reply #262 on: July 18, 2021, 07:21:17 PM »
So i took the day off from the a-arm swap project today as we decided to work on the engine for my daughters rail today. This may be a great place to ask these questions as i believe one of you mentioned you are running the first gen 2.3 set up 😊😊

We kinda are....but not really, so i am hoping you guys can help me out.
The engine we installed in her rail today is 2165 VW, but it is running the complete fuel injection, distributor and electronics from a Ford 2.3 along with a garret turbo. All the parts are either from a 84 mustang or 87 thunder bird super coupe, I am not 100% sure, i was told either when i purchased all these parts. After a complete rebuild and some other work we finally installed the engine today. Without many hiccups the engine fired. I now have it if you hit the key it fires right up and sits there and purrs. If the throttle is just lightly but quickly hit it raps up fairly quickly but if anything more than that it will miss and lose RPM fast. I am assuming fuel issue but 100% sure yet. I just called it a night after getting it to fire so have not had much time to tinker with it.

So i am wondering, what are these engines timed at? And what should the fuel pressure be set at? I read 38-42 but not sure if this is with vacuum on or off of regulator at an idle? My Ecoboost you set with vacuum off. Its kind of confusing with some of this, may sound odd but at first i wasn't sure if i time it like a VW or to what the 2.3 should be. I currently have it at 10* as that is what read for the 84 2.3.

Offline Aprilfools

• Fabricator
« Reply #263 on: July 18, 2021, 09:03:54 PM »
Few pics of the project

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #264 on: July 19, 2021, 01:12:48 PM »
Ya,but mine rides like a magic flying carpet.

LMAO :m now what made you think i was referring to your sand rail??  :D  also i know yours does as a result of that weight.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #265 on: July 19, 2021, 01:17:50 PM »
So i took the day off from the a-arm swap project today as we decided to work on the engine for my daughters rail today. This may be a great place to ask these questions as i believe one of you mentioned you are running the first gen 2.3 set up 😊😊

We kinda are....but not really, so i am hoping you guys can help me out.
The engine we installed in her rail today is 2165 VW, but it is running the complete fuel injection, distributor and electronics from a Ford 2.3 along with a garret turbo. All the parts are either from a 84 mustang or 87 thunder bird super coupe, I am not 100% sure, i was told either when i purchased all these parts. After a complete rebuild and some other work we finally installed the engine today. Without many hiccups the engine fired. I now have it if you hit the key it fires right up and sits there and purrs. If the throttle is just lightly but quickly hit it raps up fairly quickly but if anything more than that it will miss and lose RPM fast. I am assuming fuel issue but 100% sure yet. I just called it a night after getting it to fire so have not had much time to tinker with it.

So i am wondering, what are these engines timed at? And what should the fuel pressure be set at? I read 38-42 but not sure if this is with vacuum on or off of regulator at an idle? My Ecoboost you set with vacuum off. Its kind of confusing with some of this, may sound odd but at first i wasn't sure if i time it like a VW or to what the 2.3 should be. I currently have it at 10* as that is what read for the 84 2.3.

nice project!   
dont quote me on this but i would start with auto enrich settings on that stutter. mine does it too when i shut ae off. if your running the vane air meter and a stock ecu then it could be mechanical timing or that vam.    could be you need a lot more ae for that combination as well. you'll need a stand along ecu to do anybetter. a pimp ecu is what the lima 2.3 guys used.  lima then duratec then ecoboost. if you look on turbo ford or stinger performance , you may find a used one for $400 to $500. they have base conservitive timing maps.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #266 on: July 19, 2021, 01:19:51 PM »
the reason i say that is because you can get rid of the egr and vam with the micro squirt or megasquirt pimp ecu's. pimp, pimpx are microsquirt and pimpxs is megasquirt systems. open source so any competant tuner can tune them.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #267 on: July 19, 2021, 01:20:39 PM »
not to tute ones own horn.....ya they look better converted to a arm  :D ;D

Offline Aprilfools

• Fabricator
« Reply #268 on: July 19, 2021, 04:40:48 PM »
not to tute ones own horn.....ya they look better converted to a arm  :D ;D

For sure they do! Everyone that has came in the garage while we are working on this make s compliments about that

Offline Aprilfools

• Fabricator
« Reply #269 on: July 19, 2021, 04:49:36 PM »
Appreciate the feedback on the 2.3 systems.
It is using that (dam) vam thing, hoping to get it running with all the stock components then go from there. I think I have it down to a timing issue. Not 100% but it sure runs and sounds like it.
Everything I read says u have to unplug the "spout" to time, set at 10* btdc plug in and good to go. Well the previous guy cut that out and wired some things together in the harness where this spout thing should be. beathorse.gif~c200. So i set it at 10* as is but when slowing bringing revs up it doesnt advance, it seems to want to but does not. Starts "ok" pending timing at 10* plus/minus some, does seem to kick back over 10*. Idles all day long but just sounds "off".

Any thoughts on what I can do or should try?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2021, 04:51:38 PM by Aprilfools »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal