Author Topic: anyone have experiance with dual disc ?  (Read 5792 times)

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
Re: anyone have experiance with dual disc ?
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2020, 08:26:16 AM »
not only did they not tell me that but instead asked if i installed the pressure plate wrong! now when i say this i should also explain that i spoke with 2 different techs. 1st on was female and second a male. " she " asked me if i installed it correctly........of course my comment was sure did which is why i now ask if you (kep) sent me a warped one?? struck a nerve with that question  LMAO   now i know thats a normal wear pattern and i have the max and min spec on the friction pads for a dual disc. good to know i have 75% left. yes i had the flywheel and pressure plate surfaced and re used my friction pads. if i got 3 years slipping them that much......should get even longer now that 1st gear is a 3.44 rather than a 2.23 and the other 3 are deeper as well.
Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2020, 06:03:29 PM »
not only did they not tell me that but instead asked if i installed the pressure plate wrong! now when i say this i should also explain that i spoke with 2 different techs. 1st on was female and second a male. " she " asked me if i installed it correctly........of course my comment was sure did which is why i now ask if you (kep) sent me a warped one?? struck a nerve with that question  LMAO   now i know thats a normal wear pattern and i have the max and min spec on the friction pads for a dual disc. good to know i have 75% left. yes i had the flywheel and pressure plate surfaced and re used my friction pads. if i got 3 years slipping them that much......should get even longer now that 1st gear is a 3.44 rather than a 2.23 and the other 3 are deeper as well.
Ya gotta admit they likely deal with a lot of mechanical morons.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Online DeepBusch69

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2020, 04:47:34 PM »
Ok, I'm a mechanical moron.  Not really but I do have questions about the dual disc that I hope don't sound dumb.  I have considered one to have less pedal pressure.  How does it make the shifting easier?  And some said that they do not feather or slip well; more on or off.  I did a quick search with conflicting answers.  thanks

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2020, 07:03:05 PM »
Ok, I'm a mechanical moron.  Not really but I do have questions about the dual disc that I hope don't sound dumb.  I have considered one to have less pedal pressure.  How does it make the shifting easier?  And some said that they do not feather or slip well; more on or off.  I did a quick search with conflicting answers.  thanks

so to answer what i can........i have a stage 2 pressure plate with the dual disc. the stage 2 pp gives me a very light pedal ( with appropriate mc and slave size) full circle friction plates, yet still rated to 570 ft lbs tq on a 200mm ( 8") clutch. a stage 4 pressure plate on a 6 puck isnt even rated that high!   the puck clutch offers the least amount of slippage and ease of engagement. these are the reasons i went with a dual disc stage 2. i had a stage 4 puck clutch on the v6. it was a very grabby clutch and the stage 4 pp on a 9" clutch was hell on my knee. i tried every combo of mc and slave i could buy as well as pedal ratio and taller throw out lever arm. it all made it better but my knee would ache for 3 days after a dune trip. waaay to stif and  dont just take my word on it, ask enemy, he remembers too lol carl should remember as well.   the dual disc with full circle ( organic/ceramic) friction plates is the most forgiving to slipping the clutch as well as ease of engagement short of a clutch with a spring loaded center puck. this is my opinnion based on my experience. you can see for yourself from the pics and the info i included from kep. after 3 years of having to slipp the shit out of it just to take off cause my 1st gear was a 2.23 on a 4.43 r&p let along loading in the toyhauler or slipping it to rev the engine to build boost in 2nd gear so as not to have to downshift to pull the dunes and not back up the line. all that for 3 years and according to kep and fabr those marks are normal wear marks and according to kep my friction pads are still 75%. that unto itself is a testament imo plus my knee doesnt hurt from pushing the clutch lol

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2020, 07:04:10 PM »
as far as shifting easier.....i cannot say i noticed but i have nothing to make a personal comparison. with fabrs racing background, i bet he does!

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2020, 08:13:19 PM »
forgot to meantion that the 2nd friction and floater plate weigh 5 lbs even. flywheel weighs 14 lbs. so kep says by the time they machine the flywheel for the twin disc that the weight gain is minimal but it does weigh a little more. they did not give specific weights so if someone knows what a standard single 200mm disc flywheel weighs then we could compare.

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2020, 09:04:38 PM »
as far as shifting easier.....i cannot say i noticed but i have nothing to make a personal comparison. with fabrs racing background, i bet he does!
The inertia os much less with the smaller diameter dual disc compared to a large diameter single disc even if the same weight total so the synchro rings are able to more easily/quickly match the gear and slider speeds to enable the shift easier/faster. The higher the rpm of the shift,the more pronounced this will be.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal