Author Topic: micro stub wheel bearing  (Read 2694 times)

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
micro stub wheel bearing
« on: January 25, 2015, 02:22:11 PM »
I'm running Timkin Dodge intrepid wheel bearing with the empi f150 stub/cv.  My 3rd bearing is loose/wobblin.  Just replaced before last trip.  replaced under warrenty, but dang just 1 4 day trop.  Torqued to spec listed with bearing, whick is not much, about 80lbs if I remember correct.  all 3 times drivers side.  Anyone else have any problems with these types of bearings?
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
Re: micro stub wheel bearing
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 03:02:24 PM »
I'm running Timkin Dodge intrepid wheel bearing with the empi f150 stub/cv.  My 3rd bearing is loose/wobblin.  Just replaced before last trip.  replaced under warrenty, but dang just 1 4 day trop.  Torqued to spec listed with bearing, whick is not much, about 80lbs if I remember correct.  all 3 times drivers side.  Anyone else have any problems with these types of bearings?

Driver air.   eyes Or is that to much air.   :laugh:

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Offline Simon

• Fabricator
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2015, 04:15:27 AM »
I used then on my Barracuda. Timken 513089 bearing units (dodge intrepid) with 33 spline Empi microstubs (p/n: 16-2310)

Spline was slightly too long so I had to make up a spacer for the nut side. Also, splines were bottoming out on the inside before they pulled up to the shoulder if that makes sense. Bearings would remain loose, even though the where torqued to spec. I undercut the splines a bit at the rear to get them to pull up properly.

The spec I had was 180 ft-lbs from memory. 

Offline Carlriddle

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2015, 05:48:01 AM »
I used then on my Barracuda. Timken 513089 bearing units (dodge intrepid) with 33 spline Empi microstubs (p/n: 16-2310)

Spline was slightly too long so I had to make up a spacer for the nut side. Also, splines were bottoming out on the inside before they pulled up to the shoulder if that makes sense. Bearings would remain loose, even though the where torqued to spec. I undercut the splines a bit at the rear to get them to pull up properly.

The spec I had was 180 ft-lbs from memory.
Meaning you cut a tad further towards cv?  I guess i need to pull apart and check.  Dang cv grease!!

Offline Simon

• Fabricator
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2015, 06:17:25 PM »
Here are some old pictures that might help. 

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2015, 07:07:11 PM »
Could a person counter bore the hub a bit on the backside as well/instead of the machining the stub?   Just curious as that would be easy also. One of those six of one ,half dozen things? Like I said just asking..
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Carlriddle

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2015, 05:17:08 AM »
Thanks Simon!!  Great pics and I'll treat you a frosty one if ever in your neighborhood!!

Seems there is a slight diff in the measurements of the Empi and FORD ones.  That distance between splines and beveled part looks to be less on Ford. 

Offline Simon

• Fabricator
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2015, 02:50:54 AM »
No drama mate, glad it helped.

Offline Carlriddle

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2015, 05:14:31 AM »
Got it apart last eve, definatly bottoming on splines.  Needs 1/8-3/16" more.  I'm gonna prob just make a spacer, dont really want to modify off shelf parts and non plunge cv's dont have a lot of wiggle room.  Not that my home made cad skill have put axles length in the exact location, but its work pretty good so far.

Thanks guys......... :-*

Offline Carlriddle

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2015, 05:10:20 PM »
Ordered up some 1-1/2" I'd washers from McMaster Carr. They have everything!!  Next day to me. They fill the ever so slight gap (pic 1) and allow the nut to do its thing. Should be good after another bearing swap.  I chamfered the I'd just to let it slip tight.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal