Author Topic: short sand cars  (Read 3802 times)

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
short sand cars
« on: September 08, 2013, 04:47:11 PM »
http://www.fortwayneclutch.com/index.php/1310-series-end-yoke-early-gm-truck-chevy-impala-rear-driveshaft-midship-end-yoke-9-10-spline-gm-chevy-driveshaft-yoke-pn-s-2-4-1921.html

i am helping a guy build new wheel bearing carriers to convert his short sand car early design with 4 link rear end out to t1 930 flange stub axles cause larry's early stubs had a bad habbit of breaking. some how this one survived. anyway there are a lot of those old center section around with u joint splined yokes. this is a link as to where to get them and then you'll have to have a machine shop turn them down etc etc. who knows how long these parts will still be sold.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 04:55:10 PM by Dsrace »
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Offline Wyattboche

Re: short sand cars
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 08:07:36 PM »
How much angle can they take? Looks good

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2013, 09:55:16 PM »
the ones I have always built ....30* off the shelf what ssc built I don't really know  I guess but the one in the link will do 30*
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2013, 06:02:21 AM »
So your machining those down to weld a flat plate too that bolts to the cup? 

I've seen them made up somewhere,...........
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2013, 03:09:10 PM »
actually the link above to the center section splined yokes are the one that get machined down to fit in a bearing then you take a flat plate with a bolt pattern for a sprocket in it and weld it on then face it off on the side the sprocket or rotor will bolt on to. as far as the hub, stub axle and drive shaft in the pic goes that is a vw 4bolt 5/8" thick chromolly hub on a type 1 (t1) chromolly stub axle with 930 drive flange and I have the u-joint adaptors made to bolt to the 930 flange. this coupled with the new wheel bearing carriers I make personally converts the old short sand cars out from the problematic stubs that used the Suzuki 500cc quad hubs on the 4 link design to stubs and hubs that will take a v6 engine so over kill for a bike but don't snap off on landing or cornering like larry shorts did.  I have built several of these carriers for people in the past and still have the jigs but may kill the jig when i'm done so that why I posted the link for the centers cause very very few could ever find those splined yokes for the center and even the spicer dealers didn't know what they were or how to find them. lol

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2013, 08:56:17 PM »
Moving the link bars away from the axle would be helpful in reducing pressures.  The way it is there is twice the load on the links that there would be if it was a 6-link.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2013, 08:37:31 PM »
yep but in this case I have to make a compatible carrier to fit the existing mounting points for this customer and the others in the past because they don't want to cut there chassis's and re-make.

Offline jersdunz

• Fabricator
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2015, 04:28:30 PM »
I know this thread is old but whatever,

The company that makes the extreme axles. Has flanged u joints that bolt to a 930 flange. They have a 1350 series joint on them. so you run a 1310 to 1350 u joint. the joints are a touch more money (45$) but i have had no issues with them and have had them set to 34Deg for several seasons.

They are however a bitch to lubricate. The flanged yokes are $175 each though.
I really had a hell of a hard time paying that, but he claims they've been hardened or forged or some bullshit. Either way I haven't had a single issue since installing them in 2012. Hope its helpfull to someone. 

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2015, 03:53:07 PM »
the pic in my first post are of the old drive line i made jersdunz and nice to see you over here!  i used to have a run of the adaptor plates made to weld to the tube yokes. i am completely out but this post was to show ssc owners there are other stronger reliable options for there rails. extreme does make them to still.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal