Author Topic: Well, it is automotive powered....  (Read 42310 times)

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
Re: Well, it is automotive powered....
« Reply #165 on: July 26, 2015, 12:11:59 PM »
and if you really want to get fancy then make it like  a swing out spare tire carrier like on the old fords or hatch back suv's. put your storage rack on the outside and a flip down counter top on the other for food prep or what ever since you really don't have much space while your cooking. thin piece of ss flat or perferated sheeting would make a nice weather proof counter top. 3 lock points for the arm is easy enough as well. shut, half open and wide open.
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Offline Yummi

• Grumpy, Sneezey and Dopey all rolled into one.
  • Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #166 on: July 26, 2015, 01:33:24 PM »
Hmmmm, were you thinking extend the hitch at the pintel and place a basket there?  I was thinking maybe use the other hitch. 

Problem with "cargo basket" at rear of jeep is two fold.  First, no real height.  Second would jack with my departure angles. 

The trailer does have a little receiver hitch on the back.  I figure it is not good for much.  Tucked under the fold, and then has a very limited weight rating.   

Going to wait for new bumper on Jeep this week and kind of sort it out from there.  In the meantime, I had to change up my cargo rack.  Vent would not open enough to be of any use. Fortunately the dog was gas free that night.  Cut and cap.  Thought I had some strap here at the house to box it out.    Guess not, will have to remember to get some.  Should not be a problem as everything that goes up there is fairly light weight and sits transverse to the intact bars.  So thinking load should disperse fine. 

Got to sort the kitchen area a bit as well.   

I like things that move.   Pretty much limits me to cars and strippers

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

Offline Yummi

• Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #167 on: July 26, 2015, 01:36:38 PM »
Your trail rig and trailer is the cats ass for what you are doing!!!

Thanks.  Hopefully it will get us we want to go.  Nice being the only folks around for miles and miles.  The little stretch we took?  Not many people beyond 1.5 miles deep.  We went in 9.5 miles towards a canyon.   Saw one other jeep back there.  Day tripper as we were pulling out. 

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

Offline BDKW1

« Reply #168 on: July 26, 2015, 04:14:59 PM »
Any ideas?  Better ides?

Sink the battery (ies) down in the center of the tongue against the wall of the trailer. They can hang a little below the frame rails. Spare flat as close to center/far back as you can and still get the jack to flip up. Double deck over bat(s).

Or, extend the tongue a little...........

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #169 on: July 26, 2015, 04:52:56 PM »
Hmmmm, were you thinking extend the hitch at the pintel and place a basket there?  I was thinking maybe use the other hitch. 

Problem with "cargo basket" at rear of jeep is two fold.  First, no real height.  Second would jack with my departure angles. 

The trailer does have a little receiver hitch on the back.  I figure it is not good for much.  Tucked under the fold, and then has a very limited weight rating.   

no i was saying to remove that hitch and buy another to match. then mount those hitch's on both sides of the rear ( nothing in the center to wack you ankles on) so that 2 hitch's are supporting the weight and keeping the rack from teetering backing and fourth like they do on a single. might want a hitch that holds more than that stock one does imo. any place that sells trailer supplies has the square tubes you can make your own hitch out of. if you use a 4" drop stinger as i suggested and flip it over to mount your rack to then it would lift it 4" higher than your hitch and get your gc back for those departure angles or bumps.  easy to pull out and set on the side while you cook or the swing hitch as i also suggested. since your not carrying tounge weight with it and are using 2 reciever hitch's then you could stack the square tube to gain another 3" of gc if you really thought it needed it. easy to build really.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 04:58:49 PM by Dsrace »
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Offline Yummi

• Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #170 on: July 26, 2015, 06:19:10 PM »
I see what you are saying now.  Might be an option.  My concern would be having to remove the rack, etc prior to access of that area.  So, a swing away could be the cats meow.  Specially if I got a little fold down table on the inside face for the bbq?  Do you think the weight would transfer to the second mount point on a swing away?  Or would the weight transfer be just on on side with the other receiver hitch just as a locking point?

Hmmmm.... 

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #171 on: July 26, 2015, 08:47:21 PM »
one side would have to be a lot stronger than the other for sure especially when it's opened. but while locked for transport the second side would take it's fair share of abuse lol but pulling a rack and setting in on the ground with your wife helping wouldn't be too hard. the swing away would be nice and sort of a dual purpose.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #172 on: July 26, 2015, 08:48:22 PM »
of course you might want to find out or crawl underneath and look at the sticker on the axle to see what size axle you have as the camper gets heavier it might be overloading the axle and leaf springs. if there is one thing camper manufacturers are good at is building one step below min!

Offline Yummi

• Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #173 on: July 29, 2015, 09:42:04 PM »
So, went down to Phoenix today to fetch the Jeep.  On the way home got caught up in a thunderstorm.  Tarp, and wait.  I was soaked. 

As you can likely tell, the purpose was to pick up the RPMFab bumper. 

They did some custom work to their typical set up and added Rotopax cans.  Two gallons of water, two gallons of fuel.  That is two more gallons of each than before.   

Also had them make a small basket.  Holds two lawn chairs and a folding table just perfect.  Will  also be a great place to keep the tarp!

Now, one thing buggies has taught me is that anything with heim joints gets to be pricey quickly.  It is not like the things are knees for old folks, but dang! 

In any event, they look pretty and allow for compound movements.

So why does that matter?  Easy.  The gate swings with the tire rack.  One hand.  Here is my better half, trying it out.  She was on a hill.  Little heavier than stock, but bees knees not to have a separate latch.   

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bdHVDCAB_U&feature=youtu.be

To the bumper we added led cubes via Rigid. 

The bumper has 1" recovery points thru welded for strength and uses the factory hitch to maintain the factory tow rating.

Pretty dang  pleased with it!

So, while there I also went for a full Artec skid system.  1/4" Alum.  A Poision Spyder Evap skid as well. 

I can now go bash rocks!

Time to go get it muddy like the rest of the Jeep. 

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #174 on: July 29, 2015, 09:59:10 PM »
Cool,very cool.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
« Reply #175 on: July 30, 2015, 09:22:56 AM »
Ya looks cool BUT!  Where is the vertical load restraint? Your two little turn buckle's with the rod ends and fancy plated rods are not doing anything for the vertical restraint of the weight.  They are helping with the lateral force when you stop and go but all the vertical weight is being held up by the one hinge at the side.  The rod end's are meant to swivel for misalignment. All the weight of the spare,tanks,jack and rack with the table and chairs is on the one hinge on the bumper.   Or am I not seeing something else in the picture?

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Offline Yummi

• Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #176 on: July 30, 2015, 10:34:35 AM »
I am all ears, err, eyes, if you can figure out a way to accomplish that.  A portion of the weight also appears to be supported by the stock gate hinge.  To the extent they are designed for the tire weight that seems appropriate?

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #177 on: July 30, 2015, 10:49:59 AM »
hmmmmmm,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Yummi

• Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #178 on: July 30, 2015, 11:22:15 AM »
So, I was in the shower thinking about Fast.  That sounds bad.  Do over.

So I was in the shower thinking about this.  The only thought I came up with is a urethane ball sliding into a pocket on the opposite side of the pivot. Think adjustable furniture leg.   Even a skateboard wheel that slips into a channel?  Mounted vertically on the drivers side?

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
« Reply #179 on: July 30, 2015, 11:24:43 AM »
I am all ears, err, eyes, if you can figure out a way to accomplish that.  A portion of the weight also appears to be supported by the stock gate hinge.  To the extent they are designed for the tire weight that seems appropriate?

You said it, the hinge's are designed for the spare tire only.  You have added the weight of at least one more spare and a jack.  The constant bonce up and down if going to take it's toll on the door hinge's.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 11:26:32 AM by fastcorvairs »

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal