Author Topic: ecotec cvt clutch options  (Read 10649 times)

blokhead

ecotec cvt clutch options
« on: January 12, 2009, 08:55:23 PM »
What snow mobile clutch can i use for this engine? I can purchase a new team primary and secondary clutch for a 800cc ski doo . the ecotec is the supercharged ion engine it puts out 205 hp would this work? i know the clutch can be tuned but can it be tuned for this horse power and still be reliable?

Admin

Re: ecotec cvt clutch options
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 08:59:41 PM »
Team for ski doo is splined secondary i believe.... I would use a billet clutch, Micro belmont, aaen etc... If you need a keyed team secondary, I have a 1" keyed team secondary i would sell, it is lightly used...

blokhead

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 05:33:36 AM »
What clutch would u use for this bug? How much u asking for the secondary and will it fit a f-n-r like dan sells?

blokhead

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 05:39:56 AM »
I ordered a set of plans from rorty saturday but havnt herd anything from him. Has anyone talk to him recently ?

LiveWire

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 08:39:54 AM »
I would use this driven: http://www.supertorquer.com/rigid.html it comes with a steel helix which is much better in dirt. I can get you a discounted price on one too.

You might consider a Comet 4-Pro for the drive. It has 4 sets of arms instead of 3. I would use Heel Clicker arms in the drive clutch in order to transfer the Torque that engine has to the ground. They work well on the Geo Powered Drakarts.

blokhead

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 10:52:49 AM »
thanks livewire . how much is the pro-4 comet ?

LiveWire

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2009, 08:34:56 AM »
MSRP is $459.99. Can probably get for $350. That is uncalibrated. I would suggest using a Heel Clicker kit for the calibration which will come with 3 springs and adjustable weight cam arms. The cam arm are adjustable at 3 places for low, medium and high speed. I'll have to call and get a price since a 4th arm will be needed. You would also want the billet arms vs. the cast arms as the cast may break with the amount of extra weight you'll want to add the shoulder (low speed adjustment). The billet arms also have a heavier shoulder to begin with. Basically, you set up with a huge amount of effective weight at low speeds that swings around and has less effect at higher speeds. So it will upshift hard off the line taking advantage of the engine torque then taper off to prevent bogging at higher speeds. This is the opposite behavior a high revving 2 stroke would use.

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2009, 08:40:59 PM »
I ordered a set of plans from rorty saturday but havnt herd anything from him. Has anyone talk to him recently ?
Which plan set?I don't think anyones heard a thing out of rorty for quite some time.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Whiplash

• VIP
  • Monster Bug is here run for your LIFE!!!
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2009, 07:58:51 AM »
How much power can these type of clutches take reliably, can they do like 300 if you got buildy with the Ecotec? I only ask because I like the Idea of the Ecotec in my car instead of the 900 RR...
"The best things in life are free".........RIIIGHT, He's never been to Glamis!

Bajas RULE!!

Admin

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2009, 08:07:28 AM »
well some of the stock oem clutches are seeing near 200...A billet one should easily double that number, lets look at torque tho, throw out that damn hp number all together....

blokhead

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2009, 09:03:48 AM »
I ordered the r-11 plan set. I m going to fit the rear a-arm design onto the sand dragon chassis. He emailed me last night and the plans are on the way.

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
  • Wishin I was there. "Glamis"
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2009, 11:02:12 AM »
Along with worrying about the torque the motors making (vs the imaginary HP as Bug ad others have said before) you also need to figure gearing and vehicle weight into it. Just cause you see a set of clutches working for one guy with a lot of power in a one seater if you add a second seat (or more) and a lot of weight OR have gearing thats to high you will not have the same luck as he did most likely. 

Along with the clutches having a harder time dealing with more power from the motor end they will have more trouble with to much load from weight or poor gearing. Its the load a CVT system can carry (or any system for that matter) that needs to be worked around. You have to balance it all out.
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

LiveWire

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2009, 11:15:17 AM »
He's getting an RPM tranny. Dan won't let him gear too high. He'll guide him to a good final ratio.

The built sleds are running far more HP and similar torque. The billet driven is more to handle the shock load from jump landings. The steel helix is needed because the aluminum ones wear out quick in the dirt.

Offline Whiplash

• VIP
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2009, 04:02:01 PM »
OK so a mild turbo ECO with say, 300Tq and the mid 350's HP in a 1100ish buggy in sand only no dirt stuff, may be ok with the best of parts? If so that thing would FLY! I LLLLLIKE IT! I can get the ECO cheap too!

Bajas RULE!!

Offline Whiplash

• VIP
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2009, 07:48:10 AM »
anybody have a list of the exact parts I would need to do this?? I have had a hard time finding what I would need for this setup,,no trans just chain drive to sprocket but with the clutch doing the work to a sort of cassette drive. I am not familiar at all with these type of drives so please give me all the help you can for the list. Sorry to hi-jack but I figure my question is viable to everyone interested...

Thanks as usual!
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 07:55:52 AM by Whiplash »

Bajas RULE!!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal