Author Topic: how about a mini trophy/prerunner type truck?  (Read 8982 times)

anti bling

how about a mini trophy/prerunner type truck?
« on: December 19, 2008, 09:40:33 PM »
I'm looking at designing a front motor/ auto trans/ solid rear axle/ long travel suspension. think of a prerunner truck but with out the body. to save weight i was thinking of a 300 hp turbocharged 4 cyl motor, a turbo 350 trans and a Toyota rear axle.

if weight (fuel cell/radiator/battery,etc) was mounted towards the rear and set the motor /trans rearwards to get more weight off the front wheels. 2 seats maybe 4.
should be easy to set up. built trans axles are just way out of my budget. and i bet i can build this with cheep junkyard parts

should be a fun desert/sand ride

what do you think? any pros/cons?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 09:42:18 PM by Anti bling »

Offline Yummi

• Grumpy, Sneezey and Dopey all rolled into one.
  • Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
Re: how about a mini trophy/prerunner type truck?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2008, 09:45:58 PM »
Funny you said that - when you talked about the motor you had access to, i was thinking TRUGGY or TT. 
I like things that move.   Pretty much limits me to cars and strippers

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

anti bling

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2008, 09:49:23 PM »
true.......i think ill be heading in that direction. now i need an auto tranny and a bigger rear end. welll it wont be a mini buggy then... oh well. great now my ADAH is kickin in. i need to go order my bendtech pro software and start designing......

anti bling

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2008, 10:23:20 PM »
i found it!!!!! oh yea this bad boy it the sh!t !!!! LMAO!!!!

SPEC

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2008, 04:50:37 AM »
Oh my....

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2008, 06:47:09 AM »
Oh shit!
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2008, 08:48:34 AM »
That's Awsome!!  I like the suspension seat, and open drive shaft under your nuts!

For automotive power designs I have always thought these guys did a pretty good job.  At least good for ideas.  I don't know why they don't just suspend the whole rearend.    http://www.sandrocket.com/

Offline Punkur67

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2008, 10:11:40 AM »
That would feel great to throw a u joind and knock your dick off! :o  I was thinking to doing a truggy before I started my car. It would be a fun project. I still want to build one someday.
Its better to be a smartass than a dumbass!

SPEC

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2008, 10:18:06 AM »
There was a serious build on that other site... That looked just like that oneand the guy was proud of it and was going to go into production :-X

Offline Yummi

• Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2008, 03:24:12 PM »
So I never really looked at the Sand Rocket before - Are they using a standard rear end with CV's at the output then IRS?  If so, I mean heck, this seems like a real inexpensive / super durable way to get full IRS decent travel and big HP with out the Mendeola or Albins cost. 

So, what is the downside?  Somebody school me. 

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2008, 05:39:40 PM »
They generally use corvette or a German (audi/benz/etc I don't remember) third member that is setup for IRS.  It isn't real narrow so not condusive to real long travel.  Front engine is not helpful for making 4 seats if your into that.  They claim that they fly well, but I am not sure how well the weight distribution works out.  (You will notice that the engine is set back quite a ways to help out)  They do quite a bit of work to heat shield the exhaust from the occupants.  A problem you dont have in rear engine.

Then you have the weight issue of V-8 power.  In the sand weight matters, because your not direct drive.  More like weight displacement drive.  And with this design the motor is not setting on the rear wheels to help out.  They claim you can't beat the V-8 torque, and claim them to be extremely fast.  I am sure the seat of the pants meter says they are fast, especially coupled with the V-8 rumble.  But when you add in the weight disadvantage, you probably need 600+ hp to run with a 300 Hp subaru or MC powered buggy.  That equals lotsa race gas!

I would love to hear a review from someone non-biased.  This is just my $.02 from looking into them.

Offline Yummi

• Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2008, 06:10:35 PM »
I figured if they were the way to go, there would be more of them ....?  I like the weight displacement drive concept - helps to explain why in sand somethings work better than others?

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2008, 06:15:25 PM »
Weight displacement..... Just like a jet boat.   ;D

From there website pics, they have built a pile of them.  I can't believe someone here hasn't seen one run.  I have seen some front engine V-8's at the dunes, but they were all much more "jethro" than the sand bullets.  ;D

lockedup

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2008, 06:38:08 PM »
Me and my dad are about to start our builds like this in a couple months. Were using a Small block chevy with a 700R4 and a 12 bolt or a ford 9" rear end, were going to be buillding 2 of them. Ive been looking at this for insperation,

Offline Punkur67

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2008, 09:50:27 PM »
Sand rocket uses a jaguar rear end.
Its better to be a smartass than a dumbass!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal