Author Topic: Polishing stainless and aluminium  (Read 3077 times)

Offline Punkur67

Polishing stainless and aluminium
« on: October 17, 2008, 02:28:26 PM »
Does anybody know how to polish stainless and aluminium at home. I want to do some parts and a stainless fuel tank. Hate paying hundreds if I can do it myself.
Its better to be a smartass than a dumbass!

Admin

Re: Polishing stainless and aluminium
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2008, 03:03:08 PM »
I polished a spun aluminum gas tank one time... sand the shit out of it till its baby smotth, then just wheel the hell out of it for about 4 days, lol, got to use pretty aggressive compound...

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2008, 05:30:26 PM »
How big of parts besides the tank? SS and aluminum take different approaches.Which you want to talk about first?
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Punkur67

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2008, 08:06:42 PM »
Small aluminium parts like my water bypass on my subaru motor. Also small stainless like the j tube for my intake. I want to know what compounds, tools, and processes I need to do the job. I messed with a skidplate once with some mothers and a buff ball but not the results I was looking for. I am willing to get what I need to do the job. I have an 8" variable speed bench grinder I thought I might be able to use on the small parts.

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2008, 08:31:11 PM »
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

VLADD

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2008, 01:18:54 AM »
Eastwood had a boatload of polishes, I have some of their buffs and compouds ...good stuff

405dentech

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2008, 01:41:07 AM »
As Bug said earlier, start by sanding. Use a sanding block with 400 grit until smooth. Take off your grinding wheels and replace with buffing wheels. You want a spiral sewn wheel dressed with a cutting compound (you will buff the sanded piece with this wheel first). Then on the other side of your grinder you want a loose buffing wheel (not spiral sewn) dressed with a high gloss polish. From there you just use light pressure until the pice looks like a mirror. Also try and polish with even strokes. AND by all means wear gloves because the piece you are working on will get HOTTTT. Once you get the hang of it it is really easy and you will be polishing shit that already looks just fine. ;D Good luck and happy polishing.

Offline Punkur67

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2008, 11:24:47 AM »
I am going to order the kit for stainless and aluminium from eastwood. What should I use for the fuel tank. I saw a disk for the 4" grinder, is that what I need for large parts?

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2008, 11:34:02 AM »
I just mentioned the eastwood site for info.There are much cheaper places to buy from.I'm not going to be back till Monday.I'll try to post up where I get my stuff from then.I can't recall the name and the info is at the shop.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

405dentech

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2008, 12:37:47 PM »
You will also want to keep a death grip an the pieces you are polishing. If you press too hard into the polishing wheel it catch and rip your parts out of your hands. If i could post pics on here i would show you some of the stuff i have done.(can't figure it out though)

405dentech

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2008, 12:44:35 PM »
You can usually get all the compounds and different buffing wheels at Harbor Freight, Ace Hardware, Lowes, or Home Depot. All of these places will have a good assortment of cutting and polishing compounds and buffing wheels. Also i know the ones i get from Lowes state what kind of metal they are best used on. i.e. copper, brass, aluminum etc. :)

VLADD

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2008, 06:48:22 AM »
Wow,
I never thought about them,
I used to get mine from PRO, they weren't cheap but the quality was really good...

Odyknuck

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2008, 08:20:32 AM »
Based on my experience by the time you invest in what you "Really" need to do the job right you may be better off having a pro do it for you.  If you feel you are going to use the harware in the future and you dont mind spending hours upon hours sanding and polishing go for it!  I still have my Buffer and I use it on a rare occation for small pieces or dressup and thats about it. A small good Baldor Buffer is around $400.00 plus wheels and compounds.

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2008, 08:23:35 AM »
Based on my experience by the time you invest in what you "Really" need to do the job right you may be better off having a pro do it for you.  If you feel you are going to use the harware in the future and you dont mind spending hours upon hours sanding and polishing go for it!  I still have my Buffer and I use it on a rare occation for small pieces or dressup and thats about it. A small good Baldor Buffer is around $400.00 plus wheels and compounds.
Yep.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

405dentech

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2008, 07:37:48 PM »
I obviously don't know what you guys are polishing. But I have found that an 8in. bench grinder with the right buffing wheels and compounds will produce profesional results with some practice.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal