Author Topic: 3.5L Intrepid powered 2 seater  (Read 6990 times)

Offline fabr

• Administrator
Re: 3.5L Intrepid powered 2 seater
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2008, 09:43:10 AM »
WHat kind of rear suspension travel are you wanting? What rear track width are you wishing to have? What is the flange to flange dimension? The reason I ask these things is because that tranny looks like it is pretty wide from output flange /output flange. You might not be able to get much travel.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

hero_saku39

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2008, 12:33:16 PM »
That was a great article.Clearly shows the potential of the ecotec at extremes.I see it as saying 250 hp is easily attainable for the average guy but specifically for drag racing purposes.I'm not sure it indicates that 250HP would be reliable in a road/offroad application such as a buggy though.

no it doesn't but there is no such evidence for the intrepid motor/tranny is either.  I think the article does show that you can, with a set of rods, feel confident with a 250 hp light weight engine package.

The entire point is moot though....as cost is a concern.

lockedup

« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2008, 05:15:40 PM »
WHat kind of rear suspension travel are you wanting? What rear track width are you wishing to have? What is the flange to flange dimension? The reason I ask these things is because that tranny looks like it is pretty wide from output flange /output flange. You might not be able to get much travel.

I am shooting for 12-14" hopefully more, the rear width from inside of the micro stub to the other one is going to be somewhere between 60-70 "  heres a pic that i found of a buggy company that uses the intrepid setup

lockedup

« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2008, 05:17:18 PM »
now that i look at that pic i see that the axles are not the same length.  I dont know the width of that buggy but it doesnt look like much travel and it is pretty wide

lockedup

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2008, 05:21:23 PM »
heres another one of there buggys it looks to have a bit more travel,  this is the companys web site    http://www.sandtec.com/about.htm

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2008, 06:57:30 PM »
I'm not wanting to be a bit negative but it appears like the cars you referenced are only able to have 10-12" maybe of travel.  A bit shy  for what I'd like to see even for a mid travel car.But if that's enough for your intended use I say go for it.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Admin

« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2008, 07:11:51 PM »
I spent a lot of yrs with about 6" of travel in the old vw cars, 12" is more than enuff to have a lot of fun in... ;D

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2008, 07:18:18 PM »
True but he said he wants a little more.................(don't we all????? ;D ;D ;D).
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

lockedup

« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2008, 08:39:53 PM »
I'm not wanting to be a bit negative but it appears like the cars you referenced are only able to have 10-12" maybe of travel.  A bit shy  for what I'd like to see even for a mid travel car.But if that's enough for your intended use I say go for it.

Well this is just a company i found that uses the motors im not building mine like there's thats for sure it was just an example. But im hoping for 16-18" in the front of mine

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2008, 08:51:54 PM »
Keep us informed as it progresses.Should be an interesting build.  :)
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

RC51 Rhino

« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2008, 08:58:47 PM »
 How about a Subaru? I see 'em everytime I go to the pic a part near my casa. On Wed. they are 1/2 price...so 100 for the motor, 30 for the wiring harness and 30 for the computer. I did some reading on Outfront Motorsports website, their guy doesn't realy like the ones I see there...they only put out 120 hp or so without a turbo and don't reccomend more than 3 lbs of boost but it's a cheap start. Bus transmissions will work reasonably well with a Weddle upgrade, and the adapters aren't too expensive. I'm thinking about doing one mid-engine in my Rorty R16s when it comes back into my shop.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2008, 09:15:15 PM »
I'm confused.  Bugpac saaid you can't use a bus or 091 in a mid engine application.Can you? I'm needing to know!
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Dunebound69

• Time flies when drinking rum!
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2009, 09:38:32 AM »
We saw an Intrepid car at LS the guy came to our camp site and talked to DS about getting more travel in the rear. He had 1/4 elipitical leaf springs (half a spring). It was real stiff in the rear.  He had a switch panel just for the trans. He had 4 or 5 switchs controling just the trans. He liked the power but was looking for more travel in the rear. I think he still had factory cv's. The car looked cool, I think it was made by some shop in the north west.
Time flies when having rum!
Famous last words, Watch this
Government can not give you anything it dose not take from someone else first. When we stop laughing we start dying.
"When you stop doing things for fun you might as well be dead" Hemingway

Offline Dunebound69

• Time flies when drinking rum!
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2009, 10:16:52 AM »
Went on line looking for a pic of the car at LS but found this instead.
Time flies when having rum!
Famous last words, Watch this
Government can not give you anything it dose not take from someone else first. When we stop laughing we start dying.
"When you stop doing things for fun you might as well be dead" Hemingway

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2009, 10:31:59 AM »
        The 3.5 is and assume motor.  The wife has had a 3.2 and a 3.5 both with over 180.000 or more on them with only trany problems. But it would really need to be hooked to a 091 or a Mindy to get the travel you would need for that much power. Don't know any one as yet that builds and adapter for them to buckle up to the 091 or Mindy yet.  They really feel good when you stick your foot in the throttle.  Lots of power. 

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal