Author Topic: Help, I can't get it up!!  (Read 5515 times)

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
Re: Help, I can't get it up!!
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2009, 08:28:55 PM »
what motor is that? my motor is an 3.8 v-6 series II and it weighs 395lbs roughly 400lbs according to gm with the accessories! I can tell you that 2.0's alone won't handle the weight especially in rear engine configuration. you will need 2.5's with out coils or coil assist 2.0's for that weight. the coil assist 2.0 costs the same ( roughly ) as the 2.5 air shock.  if you do go with the 2.0 coil assist and you only need 14" coils bug pack can get them to you cheaper than fox! if that motor is comparable in weight to mine I could look up my spring rates to give you a start.
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

artie on edge

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2009, 08:33:53 PM »
I want to know who among us is able to air anything up to 500# AIR  . He has to be using nitrogen.

Do you really want to know or are you just being a smartarse?  ;D

SandDragon

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2009, 09:21:49 PM »
Hey dsrace I am running 3.8 v6 II gm motor also but please excuse my ignorance is the coil assist something that I add to my current 2.0 shocks or are they a completly different shock.

Admin

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2009, 09:31:59 PM »
Completley different..

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2009, 10:01:37 PM »
Hey dsrace I am running 3.8 v6 II gm motor also but please excuse my ignorance is the coil assist something that I add to my current 2.0 shocks or are they a completly different shock.

ya they are completely different shocks. the coil assist has a threaded body for the coils. who sold you those shocks? did you tell them what you were going to use them on? are you running the stock pcm? if so have you had it flashed yet or is it out of an older car that didn't have the security system?
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2009, 10:06:01 PM »
 I see you still have the stock exhaust system on the motor are you going to run that? I will post a pic of the headers on my engine, I made them myself it was pretty simple. I do believe you would pre-fer to get rid of the emission controls as well. 

Offline Yoshi

« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2009, 08:37:34 AM »
I can take it down a couple of deg's will that help? Where would run them at? Will two more shocks help hold it up and keep it from being to soft in the back?
Jack the frame up  high enough you can allow the axles to be at 28 degrees but not touching the floor.  Spin the wheel, you will feel the bind in the axles, keep jacking up the wheel until it no longer binds, then go up about 3/8" more and measure how much of your shock shaft is showing, deduct that number from the shock stroke, and stick some internal spacers inside the shocks to limit the travel...

Do you have any better pics of the engine compartment, what's holding the motor/back of the transmission up?

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2009, 09:15:08 AM »
   SandDrangon

Just having a brain fart here SandDrangon.  IMO Them rear top shock mounts really should be double shear.  Same at the lower outer trailing arms.  Found a nice four seat sand car in the Dunes this week end that the lower inter bolt came out of the trailing arm and when the arm swung out it popped the outer hime joint off the bolt.  Ifen it had been double shear it mite not have scrapped the shock like it did. 

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2009, 01:40:30 PM »
Most/all this motor weight is hanging out past the wheels which put all that weight on the rear shocks.  Like putting all the fat chicks in the trunk and now my bumber drags?? ;D  Atleast your not trying to figure this out with coilovers. 
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2009, 03:31:31 PM »
Most/all this motor weight is hanging out past the wheels which put all that weight on the rear shocks.  Like putting all the fat chicks in the trunk and now my bumber drags?? ;D  Atleast your not trying to figure this out with coilovers.

That is a mity heavy motor to not have some kind of mount on the back end.  That is putting a lot of faith in the four Tanny bolts that hold the motor to the engine.  Not to mention the load that the front trans mount will see when you come down from a jump.

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

SandDragon

« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2009, 04:47:49 PM »
I just hung the motor to see if the shocks would hold it up I haven't had a chance to put the outer mount on for the shocks or put the rear motor mounts on yet. Thanks for all the advice though. Dsrace cool headers the motor I'm running came out of my old buggy and I bought some new mufflers and a buddy of mine is building me a new set of headers. My wife does taxes and we traded out the work so I have to thank the wife for a free set of pipes. As far as the ECU goes I'm not sure if it has been flashed or not it seamed to run good in the old buggy, but seamed to come up on the rev limiter fast. You called those shocks coil assist are you talking about coilover emulsion shocks? Have you ever heard of FOA shocks are they any good they said they could set me up with what i need for around $600. Anyone need a new set of 16" Fox 2.0 air looks like I'll be taking a loss and buying a new set of coilovers.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2009, 10:46:45 PM »

Admin

« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2009, 07:59:31 PM »
Make sure you get the right length, the 16's almost look to long, you may consider turning your lower mount the other way as well so it doesnt work the ball angle so much..

Offline Dunebound69

• Time flies when drinking rum!
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2009, 09:36:16 AM »
Don't for get to have a mount to control the torque of the motor. I forgot mine and broke off the rear motor mount and the front mount on the trans mount. Babied it off the dunes on one bolt!
Time flies when having rum!
Famous last words, Watch this
Government can not give you anything it dose not take from someone else first. When we stop laughing we start dying.
"When you stop doing things for fun you might as well be dead" Hemingway

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal