Author Topic: Glamis - 04/04 - 04/05/09 - Why in the AP section?  (Read 3508 times)

Offline Yummi

• Grumpy, Sneezey and Dopey all rolled into one.
  • Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
Glamis - 04/04 - 04/05/09 - Why in the AP section?
« on: April 06, 2009, 07:53:14 PM »
Why in the AP section and not in some jolly misc section for trip reports? 

cause it BROKE AGAIN!

ARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!

We can start in the beginning - long trip - trying to leave early Friday am - that did not happen cause of a software issue for work.  What ever, leave.  Before the trip began, two big cars dropped out - one had metal shavings, pulled the head, and poof!  there goes a rebuilt LS2 - other one?  He needs to buy some pants from his wife....... ::)

High winds - did I mention cross winds?  White knuckle drive to the dunes - slow, very slow......... 

Get there around 5:00 - just need a ride and some relax at this point - blowing hard - sucks.  Don't even unload the car.  Buddy is there before me, his is ready to go, so we all pile in, go for a run, drags - nobody there due to wind, small dunes, back to camp. Dinner, then just take the big car for the short night ride.  It is still windy, but, getting better, call it a night and hope for better in the am.

Saturday - Birds are singing, sun is shining and not a spec of wind.  Virgin sand for the taking.  Quick breakfast, fire up short ride over to the dunes, run some small ones, in tat process hit the bottom of a bowl and the car sounds like it slips, check with a buddy and he said just soft.  We stop, watch some other folks, then continue on, crest a hill, pause, first, second - ARRRRGGGGHHHHHG!!!!!!

Now, this is the second trip from my tranny rebuild.  I only use reverse to load it in the trailer on rollers, that's it.  This is not a reverse issue.  I was babying the car cause I just wanted to have a good weekend, so its not like i was slamming gears.  Hell, from my last tranny rebuild it was less than 5 hours of use.  This just blows. 

Long yellow strap is now my new best friend. 

Park the car away from the camp a bit hoping it gets stolen - no such luck.  Eat lunch, drive an hour into Yuma for work (it worked out as i had nothing else to do...)  Come back, get back into the big car, long dune trip - good fun.  Go off and see Joe Fab at Glamis Fab. 

Now, my current car is a Limo.   Talking with Joe he has a new car a "slinger"  It is a Little smaller than a squirt and is a "stripper."   He has his demo there for sale..........

Well, take the slinger for a test ride - had Joe been a bit smarter he would have played lets make a deal.......  Nice guy, just missed the opportunity.  This little car is a hoot!  It has a close ratio tranny, ecotech and center load steering rack.  Thing turns like it has power steering.  Torque!  Ecotech is a rockin motor for the dunes.  Here are a few pictures, and a link.  Given the price point, this car will move.  The thing is very responsive.  Not a corb, just a good solid fun little car at a decent price point as a turn key.....

http://www.sandlimo.com/sandslinger.html

So, spent the rest of the day watching the drags, dunning, etc.  dinner dune, bed. 

Sunday am off on a last ride - good times.  I have tried to upload pictures into my albums, ifin you want to see......

http://dtsfab.com/index/index.php?action=mgallery;sa=album;id=20

Here are a few of them.....

Sand Gloriuous SAND!
[smg id=314]

Female driver before.....
[smg id=310]

after
[smg id=340]

Buddy jumping
[smg id=317]

Drak w/ girl
[smg id=331]

Silly, just silly.....
[smg id=313]

Lots to see....
[smg id=311]

Mastr can't get this honking thing in his car - hell, might not even fit his wallet.....
[smg id=303]

[smg id=323]

Last ride of the year and yes - MY CAR IS NOT HERE!
[smg id=316]

Now, i get to fix my fxxkING TRANSMISSION AGAIN!

Grrr!!!!!!!!  Not pleased. 

« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 08:59:33 PM by Yummi »
I like things that move.   Pretty much limits me to cars and strippers

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

Offline Yummi

• Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
Re: Glamis - 04/04 - 04/05/09 - Why in the AP section?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 08:22:40 PM »
The img codes from the DTSFAB gallery do not seem to be working......  let me look see....

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

Offline Yoshi

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 08:27:54 PM »
Been doing a lot of research on the eco lately, think i'm about to start offering them in my chassis.  I was leaning toward a built 091 for a tranny, but I would have to do some custom stuff to get it as a mid engine, although I haven't ruled out a rear engine setup just yet, since it will require the least amount of work. 

I thought about the cvt, but mounting the engine sideways means I need to scrape the trailing ams and design a 5 link or an a-arm rear suspension, plus I don't know crap about cvt's and I know they can be a bitch to dial in, and i'm still not the most confident in what's available for belts....

Offline Yummi

• Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 08:39:46 PM »
Sand Limo's Slinger is a cool little car - the close ratio box is slick - just dead slick.  Almost sequential in feel.  He hit the nail on the head.  I know you would as well.  The eco in this light weight car is a nice package. 

plkracer

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2009, 10:36:33 PM »
Who makes the CR transmission for it?

Offline Yummi

• Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 08:49:17 AM »
I don't know.  I will find out, it might be site sponsor AZ Transaxle.... 

Admin

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2009, 09:10:10 AM »
Sux ass yummi for sure....

Admin

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2009, 09:10:57 AM »
Been doing a lot of research on the eco lately, think i'm about to start offering them in my chassis.  I was leaning toward a built 091 for a tranny, but I would have to do some custom stuff to get it as a mid engine, although I haven't ruled out a rear engine setup just yet, since it will require the least amount of work. 

I thought about the cvt, but mounting the engine sideways means I need to scrape the trailing ams and design a 5 link or an a-arm rear suspension, plus I don't know crap about cvt's and I know they can be a bitch to dial in, and i'm still not the most confident in what's available for belts....

They are not hard to dial in at all, People make it sound hard is all... With a little studying up, You would have it down in no time...

Offline Yummi

• Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2009, 09:12:35 AM »
Yoshi, what you thinking the eco as a rear engine would do in your car?  Price, performance, etc? 

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2009, 10:02:23 AM »
Sorry to hear about your break down Yummi. 

Offline Yummi

• Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2009, 10:25:51 AM »
Well, Joe Fab called as a follow up - Bill at AZ Trans did in fact build the CR box.  Slick slick unit.   Bill nailed it for that car.   Something to think about once I get mine pulled back out I suppose......

Offline Yoshi

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2009, 11:37:34 AM »
Yoshi, what you thinking the eco as a rear engine would do in your car?  Price, performance, etc?
For now I will leave the pricing the same.  I was told the eco motor is 24" long, and if that's the case, a rear engine setup will have the back of the engine hanging out about 12" behind the tires, and the only mods to my chassis will be a beefier subframe to hold the new motor, everything else will be the same.  I think the rail is still gonna preform fine, lots of rails have rear engine and do great.  I'm trying to get my hands on an 091 and an eco right now for mock up since i've already got someone interested........

I'm sure I can get the price under 30k very easily by dropping some standard options.....
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 11:40:39 AM by Yoshi »

Offline Yummi

• Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2009, 12:04:44 PM »
PM me a build sheet?  I will be visiting Joe Fab soon to discuss w/ him and might have a buyer for my current ride...

Money money money........

Offline Yoshi

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2009, 12:47:11 PM »
I'll just post it here, others may be interested.

I will be running a CARB compliant engine, brand new and built by CBM.  The motor cost about 3k more than the busa, so I had to drop a few options to get a introduction price under 30k.  I am only gonna be offering this price on the first few, maybe even the first one, so I can get one built and show i'm doing them, then my pricing will go up.  The below rail can be upgraded, and it can be made to look identical to my current SR2 when loaded up, the motor will just hang out the back about a foot.  I know the slinger is a bit cheaper, part of that is the 002 tranny, jeep radiator, basic fuel cell, etc. I could prob. run stuff like that to get the price down even more, but I really like my radiators and fuel cells, and I was told by write gearbox not to run the 002 cause it is weaker...

anyway, here's a build sheet and a few specs...

2.2 new CARB compliant ecotec motor
091 tranny
930 cv's and axles
Center load rack
2.0 Fox coil, 12" stroke front
2.0 Fox coils, 14" stroke rear
Gel cell battery.
Corbeau suspension seats
Quick disconnect steer wheel
custom radiator, 24x14x2 with high flow fan and shroud
custom 7.7 gallon fuel tank
Aluminum Side and roof paneling
REAR:   Douglas 15x12x3.5 offset with 1300 paddle tires.
FRONT: Douglas 15x5.5 VW 5 bolt mount wheels with 850 smoothie
front hubs
Rear hubs and outboard brakes
momo steering wheel
K@N filter
MSO title
powdercoat
-----------------------------------
$29,999

(frame is tabbed for double bypass shocks, can be added anytime after rail is built...)

112" wheelbase
90" track width
19" travel in front (3.5" ground clearance at full bump)
18" travel in rear (3.5" ground clearance at full bump)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 12:48:58 PM by Yoshi »

Offline Yummi

• Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2009, 01:12:38 PM »
Less than 200 hp and a 002 can not take that?  I understood the 5 rib was good to 200, six rib (091) good to 300 if built right.  What is the price diff between a 5 rib and 6 rib assuming both are built with CR and correct super diffs, etc? I would guess not much more than $600.00 between 5 and 6 rib?

That is FOB Broken Arrow?

Seems the big appeal on the eco tech  is the cost of the motor.  How much is the eco / bus box vs the Busa / jeffco?

CBM providing the warranty on the motor?

If Wright and CBM are the suppliers does the cost of shipping ever get you down?  Two big ticket items with big weight .... out of so cal.....   just curious....

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal