Author Topic: Waterjetting comparision to laser  (Read 4609 times)

plkracer

Re: Waterjetting comparision to laser
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2009, 09:34:13 PM »
I add 2 thousandths to each side of keyed parts when they go off to laser. Did the same for Gene's parts and they turned out just like we planned.

Offline Voodoochikin04

• Vip Eye candy Supplier!!
  • VIP
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2009, 01:17:12 AM »
our local speciallty machine and fab place, has plasma, WJ, and they just got a laser machine a few months ago. i have no idea where to start if i wanted to build anything, and no idea how to present it to them.  or what to expect for pricing.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 01:20:07 AM by Voodoochikin04 »
"it's only when you have lost everything, that your free to do anything"

Offline BDKW1

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2009, 12:02:20 PM »
I add 2 thousandths to each side of keyed parts when they go off to laser. Did the same for Gene's parts and they turned out just like we planned.

Add or subtract? I usually leave .010-.020 around the keys so that they actually fit together without any touch up.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2009, 12:39:50 PM »
whICH BRINGS UP A GOOD POINT.hOW MUCH CLEARANCE IS NEEDED( OR NOT NEEDED) FOR AN EASY ASSEMBLY AND ALSO A NICE SNUG FIT UP ?
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2009, 01:28:39 PM »
I always add .010 to hole diameters for my Industrial machines.  Never had a bolt that wouldn't fall right in.  Of course bolts are usually a hair under as well.  The .010 over on a bolt hole is a nice fit.  That being said  I think you could get away with .005 or even on size, with the idea that you could touch it with a drill if there was a burr.

On the key's I always leave a total clearance of .01, .005 per side for a long key, but then leave .01 at each end.  And here is the reason.  They do not like to run the laser into a dead corner (no radius) because it make the machine halt then take off the next direction.  I am sure differenct laser people will say differently, but mine say no dead corners.  So instead of having them choose the radius, I put a .01 radius on the inside corners of the Key, as well as the inside corners of the slot.  If I put the radius in then they use it.  With these clearances, the parts will fit together tight.

Of course this is the way I have worked with my laser guys over the years.  They will still leave the holes out if they are under material thickness, unless I explicitly direct them to be cut...... Sigh.....  I do quite a bit of 1/2" and 1" material, and they can cut a beautiful .385 hole in 1/2", but the rule of thumb is no holes with a diameter smaller than material thickness.

Of course other cutters may be different.

Picture for key and slot illustration.

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2009, 01:38:57 PM »
Ok now I will let a cat out of the bag that I really didn't want to until you saw it on my car and said WTF?

This is how I like to treat the corners of parts that are going to be welded together.  The full size tabs suck.... nowhere to weld.  With this method, I make the keys of both parts only half as tall as material thickness.  Then when you lay them together, you have a corner to weld in, and it alternates from one part to the other.  I have never tried it on sheetmetal, but on 1/4 and thicker, it is kinda cool. IMO.

plkracer

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2009, 03:55:37 PM »
I go .005 over on holes. Exact is too tight. Sorry i was not more clear, it's .002 over (offset) on the holes. I make the key exact dims, then offset the holes where they fall in. This makes the square holes .004 over. I have never needed anything more than a tap with a mallet.

Offline Doug Heim

• Bad @$$ Buggy Builder & Parts Supplier
  • Forum Sponsor
    • Doug Heim's Photo Bucket
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2009, 04:09:34 PM »
Carl I do the same. I make the keys only about 1/2 the hight of the material it locks into. I leave .005 in all my bolt holes. I did make them to size but just running a drill or reamer in them sometimes will get ruined with laser as the hardened edge.

I leave .005 overall, .002 - .0025 per side. I have never had issues with it not going together this way with the company I use for cutting. Like said above. Some companies use different methods.

Rick S.

« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2009, 05:16:10 PM »
On tabs I also keep them half the material thickness in height. (for welding) On 3/16 and thinner I engage them a little more than half way. If I know I'll be welding both sides, I keep tab use to a minimum. I only use enough to jig the parts.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2009, 05:22:30 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D I got corrected but was waiting till I got the parts to post them.I assume they'll be here soon. ;D . I'll be the first to admit this keyed stuff is new to me and have been ALL EARS . That welding of the tabs has been a concern to me for quite some time. I was just going to 45 the corners before welding but  this short tab thing is just so simple and better I'm ashamed I didn't think of it!   :-[ :-[ I guess it was just too obvious. ;D ;D ;D
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2009, 05:28:14 PM »
On tabs I also keep them half the material thickness in height. (for welding) 

Carl I do the same. I make the keys only about 1/2 the hight of the material it locks into.

Just when I thought I had and original idea............  :P :P ::)

;D ;D ;D

Offline Doug Heim

• Bad @$$ Buggy Builder & Parts Supplier
  • Forum Sponsor
    • Doug Heim's Photo Bucket
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2009, 05:45:39 PM »
Great minds think alike.

All this talk about tabbing parts is driving me nutz for some unknown reason... I refer to it as puzzle fitting myself. Just the term I'm use to using. Just in case you all wanted to share the terminology.

Any who....  ::)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal