Author Topic: mill  (Read 10684 times)

Offline Reidy02

• VIP
  • What goes around comes around!
Re: mill
« Reply #60 on: March 14, 2009, 02:23:21 AM »
Holly shit that's freak'n BAD man it's certainly made me think about some of the things I do!! God I near lost my dinner.. :o :o :o
VTR 1000 CUDA on the way.. What goes around comes around!!

SPEC

« Reply #61 on: March 14, 2009, 05:09:17 AM »
It made me stop and think...long and hard...
I've been around that kind of equipment all my life, and worse...mostly worse skidders, chain saws, saw mills,  and never been hurt... except squashing my arms...the last few years...doing it whacked out on pain killers...I guess i'm one lucky son of a bitch really

Offline Reidy02

• VIP
  • What goes around comes around!
« Reply #62 on: March 14, 2009, 07:02:04 AM »
Yeah me too I've had a few close calls and got some pretty sick scars too, and as you said done alot wacked out on pain killers!! :o ::) and very lucky too! :police: So can I ask why mean little gimp?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 07:04:44 AM by Reidy02 »
VTR 1000 CUDA on the way.. What goes around comes around!!

SPEC

« Reply #63 on: March 14, 2009, 03:19:27 PM »
:police: So can I ask why mean little gimp?

Sure you can

plkracer

« Reply #64 on: March 14, 2009, 03:22:19 PM »
Spec, why mean little gimp? lol  :)

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #65 on: March 14, 2009, 04:07:43 PM »
We just recently had a guy in a local foundry ignore proper lockout procedures. Hestuck his upper body into a 24" auger inlet.Somebody turned the power on.Took him out in pieces.What wasn't ripped apart had to be cut out. Literally butchered.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #66 on: March 14, 2009, 04:11:58 PM »
When I had to crawl inside balers and such, we locked out the machine and I also picked one guy to stand guard even through breaks to make sure nobody messed with anything while I was inside with my hood down.
This post has been edited due to content.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #67 on: March 14, 2009, 04:16:29 PM »
You can never be too careful,this guy was a 19 year old kid.He'd just gotten off probation for violating the same lockout rules.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

plkracer

« Reply #68 on: March 14, 2009, 04:22:25 PM »
You can never be too careful,this guy was a 19 year old kid.He'd just gotten off probation for violating the same lockout rules.

I guess the saying is true that you only get one second chance....

I make sure the baler at work is blocked up when working in between the ram plate and the box. If that where to come down, you would be scissored in half. Same thing when the box is up. Don't stick anything you like between it and the bottom of the baler. One mechanical or electrical glitch and down she comes.

Quite a few years ago a worker here in the Yakima valley stuck his head between the ram and the bottom the box. Couldn't have been a pretty sight when the ram went up... :-X OSHA requires a trip lever mechanism now that shuts the whole system down.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 04:24:20 PM by plkracer »

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #69 on: March 14, 2009, 04:29:17 PM »
I guess you really can't fix stupid sometimes but even the most cautious can slip up.Many years ago when I first started drag racing my mentor told of a man that had worked at the Sinclair refinery in Tulsa for over 40 years as a machinist.Very last day of work just before his retirement party he was turning a shaft on a machine I'm sure much like the one here. It was running at I think he said at like 2500 rpm between centers. Hit him in the head.He retired-no party.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

plkracer

« Reply #70 on: March 14, 2009, 04:48:20 PM »
Wow, isn't that the shits?? What was he turning it on? No chuck, just centers?

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #71 on: March 16, 2009, 06:32:28 AM »
Centers with face plate and dog.As I remember it was about 4' long and 3 or 4 inches diameter. Tailstock came loose. I have never forgotten the mental image of a dude with his head split open like a watermelon by a ball bat tho. Seems to come to mind each time I fire up the lathe. NOW this nasty pic will too!
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

artie on edge

« Reply #72 on: March 16, 2009, 04:48:22 PM »
Funny how we desensitise ourselves over time. Iwould like to think I respect machinery as well or better than the next guy. But...

Adjusting the run on a band saw (timber), naturally it has to be running while you adjust the rollers. One roller wouldnt move easily. Instead of stopping the machine and freeing it up I forced it (not hard) and my hand slipped past the blade. I felt it 'tug' at my finger but didnt even notice it at first until the guy who was with me went white.

3 teeth per inch, new sharp blade had all but severed my finger from the second knuckle. Oops.

Didnt take pics (as you can imagine I just needed a hospital). A lot of surgery and I have full use of my finger today nice scar though. Sometimes you just gotta be lucky, not smart.

My mate had printed on the machine Saw = 1 Torro = 0. I guess I lose....

Funny thing was completely shredded finger only the bottom of the finger (finger print side) holding it on, no pain, no blood. I guess I was in shock but it was my mate who panicked, I calmly told him what I needed to be done. (like clutch down, push gear stick forward, clutch out..no no slowly. Do it again.. seriously, he lost it)

SPEC

« Reply #73 on: March 16, 2009, 08:11:00 PM »
When I was 10 We were out in the woods logging...I had my own saw for a year...The old man and I were limbing up the morning's fellings, The old man slipped on some wet brush...When he went down he pulled the trigger on that 80cc   36'' barred Husky...opening his leg from upper thigh clear down to his ankle....I LEARNED to drive the truck that day...
He wasn't concious when we got to the hospital...I dunno to this day if it was my driving or the loss of blood...205 inside stiches over 300 outside if I remember right.....Mean old coot never let me drive his truck again ;D
Actually he did...Till his leg healed up...

magnum4598

« Reply #74 on: March 16, 2009, 09:20:34 PM »
my dad was a machinist for 40 years till he retired he cut his fingers a few times real bad
he ran equipment that would be hard to discribe the main mach he ran was a horazontil planer
it was 50 feet long 12 feet wide that thing was scary he was the only guy that knew how to run it
every product that every one uses in there home that is mixed or blended my dad most likly made the mixer.... like perter paul mounds ivery liquid tide soap pringles potato chips to name a few
oh the biggie to him was the mixer for solid rocket fuel for the space shuttle
i learned at a very early age how to use safty so it just come natural when it has been beat into ya
every time i turn on my laith i think of that pic i was using it tonight making weld in bungs
they cost to much to buy lol
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 09:22:16 PM by magnum4598 »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal