Author Topic: Spec's 460's  (Read 9184 times)

SPEC

Spec's 460's
« on: September 16, 2008, 02:25:51 PM »
I guess most of you coming over from MBN have seen a couple of glances of what I used to build and race, while looking over these pix. keep in mind these were built long before I ever heard of the internet...around 1990, Before some say you can't do that or that won't hold up, keep in mind these have been raced for the last 18 years, and been driven by an animal like me to the point of failure(crashed) with no injuries except some bruises and mangled ego's...(mostly mangled ego's)
Nearly every part of these was built in house...Hubs,axles,spindles,steering wheels, etc...I didn't have the equipment or the access to the machine shop that I do now... Back then, so some of the stuff looks alittle crude...I'll be the 1st to tell ya that...460's started out as a general trail beater, but evolved into a oval track fix for the teams that I crew cheifed for in the off season...Race car guys + Big ego's + open wheeled micro race cars with a better power to weight ratio than their "race cars" = GOOD HUMOR AND SOME SPECTACULAR FLIPS..
Here goes.

SPEC

Re: Spec's 460's
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2008, 07:24:41 AM »
I have been looking thru some of the sites I frequent to find more and better pix. when my puter crashed a while back I lost all the pix and video's of these...Here's a couple of the purple people eater, to show how small these were... that's Specitators buggy chassis in the background on the 2nd pic

SPEC

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2008, 07:37:13 AM »
The 460's used a "frog" type steering set up, Yes I know they had some bump steer, on the oval with around 3" of travel used I adjusted the tie rods for driver plus 1 1/2" compression...The front hubs and spindles were fairly crude compared to what I build now...But they were durable...EXCEPT FOR THE CROSS MOUNTED HEIMS...Lots of balls in a box ::)In these pix I was getting ready to ship it to it's new home in wyoming...Old ICE race shocks and fitted rith a rotax

SPEC

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2008, 07:40:33 AM »
Something I forgot to mention the flame cut outs in the body work was for the rads...This one had the 500 Po thats in specanators buggy now...Right in the cock pit with the driver was definately not the best place for them but there was no where else to put them...altho with the flattened expanded metal in front of them and the angle they were at..... we never got a scalding shower

SPEC

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2008, 08:13:06 AM »
The rear suspension was pretty straight foreward...Swing arm, live axle...That hasn't changed much over the years...except the axles got some added meat...They were the weakest link on these...Over the years I think I broke 6 of em...Nothing like watching your rear tire passing you up and then the world starts to tumble around you, sorry I got that wrong...Your doing the tumbling...Try to explain that to the wife...I broke your buggy honey...I was too lazy to finish mine so I broke yours :'(

SPEC

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2008, 09:07:02 AM »
Now that we got the CRUDE stuff done... Heres some of the up graded components...Billet front hubs, I wanted them to be well balanced,lite weight, and durable...I Had Curt (aka MUMBLER) draw them up, and CNC them.. The rear hubs are CNC'ed as well they just get welded up here
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 03:32:36 AM by Spec »

David M

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2008, 09:36:00 PM »
Didn't you have a shopping cart also on MBN ?

Admin

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2008, 09:38:48 PM »
3:

405dentech

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2008, 10:05:08 PM »
Man Spec I bet those little hotrods are a blast to drive.

SPEC

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2008, 03:43:30 AM »

You must mean this one...
Ya beer and Percecets...Kinda like a sig line here...Hold my beer I'm gonna try sumthin...
That thing was fun...specially driving it thru Walmart

SPEC

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2008, 04:05:56 AM »
Man Spec I bet those little hotrods are a blast to drive.

Dent,
Man you just don't know ;D 100 HP in a 385# car...short wheel base...wheel to wheel racing ;D
Unfortunately all the video's and all but two of the pix were destroyed when my shop burned to the ground
I've been going to resurect them , but just can't justify building something I prolly won't ever be able to drive...Here's the last surviving pics.
Well, pics. of pics.

405dentech

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2008, 01:16:25 AM »

You must mean this one...
Ya beer and Percecets...Kinda like a sig line here...Hold my beer I'm gonna try sumthin...
That thing was fun...specially driving it thru Walmart
Beer and percocets is what i lived on for a month after I broke my jaw. DELICIOUS!!!! ;D

405dentech

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2008, 01:20:41 AM »
Do you still have those buggies? They look like so much fun. ;D It's been awhile since I wrecked anything with a cage at high speed. Last one was my old Odyssey at the river at 70+. My older brother said it looked like something out of a Mad Max movie.

SPEC

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2008, 04:42:28 AM »
Beer and percocets is what i lived on for a month after I broke my jaw. DELICIOUS!!!! ;D

I been doin' it for 4 years now...1st the tendons in my arms...surgery
Then I blew my spine....well DJD took out my spine...

As far as the 460's go I don't have any on hand... but Bug, and some other guy's have been buggin ;D me to build the new one...I got 99% of the parts in stock, and Have a stable of power plants for them ranging from...a ported 500 PO to the 165 HP tripple PO to a CBR 1000... the 460's like air cooled 488 and 440's best those are Polaris motors too...Here's the best Part...I can build them and send them out as a turn key kit...(You have to put it together for liability reasons) for less than blokhead paid for his roller
We used to race year round studded tires on the ICE and dirt oval in the summer... I still maintain an 1/8 mile oval in Milaca ...I had been trying to generate enough intrest to start up the league again but then my health failed...They are soooooo much fun...

SPEC

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2008, 04:49:41 AM »
Allrightythen...Check the for sale section for some goodies cheap...I've decided to build inexpsive, 460's
Maybe we on this site can pull off a dog days of summer next summer...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal