Author Topic: 600cc 2 seater Wood buggy build  (Read 31040 times)

boltz2012

600cc 2 seater Wood buggy build
« on: October 16, 2008, 01:01:11 AM »
I started a new build log because i wanted just the info on the build in one thread. The others got clogged with allot of other info. Good info but way off from the build log.

The PLAN:
1. I want to build a two seat buggy powered buy a 600 that will be lite and affordable. I want to build it with as many off the shelf parts as possible. So if i break something i can run to the parts house and replace it. I'm going to explore the option of using a Honda trans on the buggy. Ill document everything about it so everyone will know what is going on. I think it is a good idea and would work great on a buggy with a chain. IMO

The PARTS
2. GSXR 600 motor with 1400 miles on it.
    Honda 300 quad for the front end
    Honda civic hubs and axles for the rear end
    Honda d16a1 Trans for the gear box with reverse
    2 bucket seats
    all the brakes (front and rear)
    2 sets of yamaha quad rims and tires
    A new 520 double oring chain rated at 200 horse
    new 51 tooth 520 sprocket for a dirt bike
    All the lights, gauges, and switches
    5 gallon fuel cell

The TOOLS
    (tools i currently own)
3. A decent MIG welder
   Grinder and saws all
   Drill press
   Air compressor with allot of air tools
   All the sockets a fella could ever need
   Torch set up
   Notcher
   Bender
   Dewalt band saw
   Angle finders
   Squares
   Levels
   Chop saw
   Bench grinder

4. I want to put the Honda trans on the car and power it via a chain. I think this would be a good alternative to spending thousands on a gear box or a decent spool. Its tough and will take the abuse. I'm thinking of mounting the sprocket and brake rotor on the input shat with a splined hub. Putting a sealed bearing an the end of the shaft in place of the pilot bearing. Yet making the bearing housing and tranny mounts adjustable so you could tighten the chain. Or, make a dependable chain tensioner system. Either way i want the pilot bearing housing to be removable so if i need to work on the tranny it will be a snap to get it out.

I'm open to all input. Just please understand that this is the stuff i have to work with. I want to do this build for 2 to 3 grand. And thats everthing included. I think i have enough stuff to accomplish my end goal of ravishing the countryside on my mean a$$ looking buggy. Thanks in advance for anybodies input on this.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 01:29:11 AM by boltz2012 »

boltz2012

Re: Starting From Scratch
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2008, 01:19:32 AM »
Day 1

OK keeping in mind that the plans you use are just a guideline for you to follow ive decided to change a few things about my buggy so it didnt look so ...well...dune buggy'ish. I just think that flying around the woods in a buggy built for dunes could have potenttial hazards as the dune buggy is not designed to be slammed into trees and other woodland objects.

So i bought tubing and decided..(Actually like more of a forced decision)..to go with 1.375x119. So far its been pretty easy to work with. I picked up 96 feet of it for about 105.00 bux. Not to bad i guess. Got home with it and was so ready to get started that i jumped right in. Right off the bat scrapping one 10' stick. Which i later cut the bends out of and used it for bracing pieces. So not all was lost. Here are pics of day number one after i bent the tubing and started putting it back together.

P.S. Whatever you do DO NOT skimp on a good bender. This is a must. I effed up with this and figured out the hard way that packing the tubing in 10' sticks is way to much work and doesnt really produce rock solid results.

boltz2012

Re: 600cc 2 seater Wood buggy build
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2008, 01:45:26 AM »
Day 2

OK been sick for 2 days and was feeling better today so i got back out and decided to give it a go. Here is where i went south on the plans and pretty much threw them away. Didn't want my buggy to end up looking like the one in the picture anyways. Almost done with the frame. I think I'm to a point to start installing some of the components i will need. This way i dint put a bracing in one spot when i need it moved to be used for something else also, like the steering or pedal boxes. Ill continue to brace as i go, just making sure its where i can sue it for other stuff. Anyways here is where I'm at now. The seats aren't mounted just set inside for a reference point as to how i wanted to shape the cage. I think it looks kinda mean if you ask me. Also after looking at it Ive decided i wont need nerf bars. t think my wheels will come right to the edge of the frame in the rear. If not it will be real close. If i do need them they will be really short.

Keep in mind that it looks fat right now because the seats are setting lower than they actually will be when done. I wanted the cage shaped this way so in the event of a roll over everthing will be protected as i plan on acting like a complete idiot on this thing. ;D
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 02:09:47 AM by boltz2012 »

Dqracer

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2008, 08:02:56 AM »
Takin' shape,, looks good , did you use Bend Tech to design your frame or a set of plans..?

boltz2012

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2008, 09:49:46 AM »
I used the SS2 plans from pro sand rails to begin with. Then just winged it from there.

Dqracer

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2008, 01:05:22 PM »
cool, I'm interested to see how yer driveline falls into place.

boltz2012

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2008, 01:41:16 PM »
It should be interesting. Ill keep it all detailed so others can know how it was done. I am gonna start on the front suspension this weekend and get the tranny and axles ready to  mount. Build the a-arms for the rear and get the hubs ready. Got a question? On a GSXR 600 there is a sensor in the radiator, but on my aftermarket rad there isnt a spot for it. Can i omit it? Or does it control the fan? Thanx.

plkracer

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2008, 01:49:42 PM »
It controls the fan. On my 750 it didn't go to the ecu. There is another on the motor for that. You can either use a seperate bulb type sensor or have a shop put a bung in if you want to use a solid state sensor.

SPEC

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2008, 02:54:24 PM »
Looks like your really going to town

boltz2012

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2008, 04:57:40 PM »
Would something like this work for the rear suspension only with hiems instead of bushings? Im not going to buy them but ill build something similar if they would work.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2008, 06:11:57 PM »
Should work fine.Maybe.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

boltz2012

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2008, 07:33:25 PM »
I dont like it when your sentence ends with MAYBE. Please explain the maybe?

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2008, 07:53:56 PM »
 Arm lengths will determine camber curve same as with front.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Admin

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2008, 07:57:57 PM »
Arm lengths will determine camber curve same as with front.

Oh i have to disagree here, camber curve can be altered with the mounting location as well, not just by arm length... :police:

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2008, 08:13:22 PM »
You don't disagree you just added to it.I agree with your addition.He was asking about THOSE arms and I was commenting on ARMS. dd:
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal