Author Topic: Split From, Re: 09 SR2 assembly log... Aka Jeffco, Ya right..  (Read 29259 times)

Offline fabr

• Administrator
Re: Split From, Re: 09 SR2 assembly log... Aka Jeffco, Ya right..
« Reply #45 on: May 07, 2009, 07:30:33 PM »
And CLEAN at the same time IMO.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #46 on: May 07, 2009, 07:33:27 PM »
As for overheat issues IMO it's a matter of just using a long enough chain. From what I see on many cars most if not all could have easily designed in a greater center/center distance and minimized much of the heat problem. Heat tho is still a maintenance item tho and adjusting a pain in the but.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: May 07, 2009, 07:34:07 PM »
t.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Yummi

• Grumpy, Sneezey and Dopey all rolled into one.
  • Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
I like things that move.   Pretty much limits me to cars and strippers

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

SPEC

« Reply #49 on: May 07, 2009, 08:26:39 PM »
TOOSHIE

Admin

« Reply #50 on: May 07, 2009, 08:50:14 PM »
Enemy could drop that spare sprint car adapter in his car, a support bearing and about 2 36 tooth sprockets... Bandaid yes, Maybe a 100.00 chain every 6 hrs instead of 1... ;D

Ozpilot

« Reply #51 on: May 07, 2009, 09:27:48 PM »
As for overheat issues IMO it's a matter of just using a long enough chain. From what I see on many cars most if not all could have easily designed in a greater center/center distance and minimized much of the heat problem.

How much longer?  Twice as long?  Three times?  I doubt four times would fit.

So you're saying each liink needs to be in the air cooling off two or three times as long before it wraps around the same sproket and heats up again.  Couldn't you acheive the same thing forcing a stack of air to come into cantact with it using a fan?

I can't imagine the fan working but it seems we need to see somebody try it.  Otherwise we're all getting on here sprouting off with no proof of what we say.

And if anybody cares to agree with me I'll agree with them too.

Offline Yoshi

« Reply #52 on: May 07, 2009, 09:42:04 PM »

So you're saying each liink needs to be in the air cooling off two or three times as long before it wraps around the same sproket and heats up again.  Couldn't you acheive the same thing forcing a stack of air to come into cantact with it using a fan?

I can't imagine the fan working but it seems we need to see somebody try it.  Otherwise we're all getting on here sprouting off with no proof of what we say.

I fully expect to have some chain issues with the amount of hp i'm putting to the rail i'm building now, so i'll be the guinea pig.  I'm not gonna be able to turn over a rail to a customer that fries a chain every trip, so whatever the fix is, i'll figure it out one way or another on this rail, I can only hope it's as simple as a $25 dollar fan, but i'm fully aware it may not work....

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #53 on: May 07, 2009, 09:42:38 PM »

Good question.How about tstarting at the length the bike had to start with? They last plenty well like that. For enemy it's as simple as removing one bar ,rotating thebox back,making a couple of mounts and he'll have approx twice the chain length. IMO it's not the time for cool down as the fewer times it has a chance to heat up in the first place. don't create a problem and a "fix" is not needed.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Yummi

• Grumpy, Sneezey and Dopey all rolled into one.
  • Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #54 on: May 07, 2009, 10:36:39 PM »
Yoshi,

If you do a fan, read up a bit on stock car brake cooling. 

Some guys don't use a fan as the fan will restrict air flow at high speed. (Straightaway)  Now, the rub is that at high speed, air is free and plentiful.  Maybe (2) 3" ducts?  One to take advantage of high speed, one with a fan for low speeds / constant use?  Look at some of the set ups they have on the roundy rounds to blow air onto discs - seems very simple to make and might give you some ideas. 
I like things that move.   Pretty much limits me to cars and strippers

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
« Reply #55 on: May 08, 2009, 07:31:52 AM »
One more spin on this issue.  What about the fan and tube idea and add water and alcohol mixture like windshield fluid mix into the air stream.  For a cool vapor.  The mix would dry quickly and evaporate from the tube with little being left to make much of a mess.  A small windshield washer bottle would hold enough for a couple of hour's of run time with the right jetting to the air stream.  It could be set up to drip or even use the winshield washer motor to run from a throttle switch.  Set it to come on half throttle of what ever.  Just a though. 

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Offline Voodoochikin04

• Vip Eye candy Supplier!!
  • VIP
« Reply #56 on: May 08, 2009, 09:48:46 AM »
the alcohol water mix could be a good idea..   i was also thinking, an air matress pump, the 12 volt kind from walmart. they blow a ton of air!! cheap too.  mix that with a 2" tube around the chain like bugpac said.. 
"it's only when you have lost everything, that your free to do anything"

Offline Hammerworks

• Fabricator
« Reply #57 on: May 08, 2009, 10:17:29 AM »
Alchohol to rinse any lubricant away and heat and water(two of the main components needed for oxidation)to rust the chain.

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
« Reply #58 on: May 08, 2009, 10:53:19 AM »
Alchohol to rinse any lubricant away and heat and water(two of the main components needed for oxidation)to rust the chain.

If the o-rings stay. Then the chain can rust some.  Rings would keep in the lub.

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #59 on: May 08, 2009, 02:27:14 PM »
the alcohol water mix could be a good idea..   i was also thinking, an air matress pump, the 12 volt kind from walmart. they blow a ton of air!! cheap too.  mix that with a 2" tube around the chain like bugpac said.. 
Vibration will kill it.I tried it on the helmet cooler and it failed vert quickly.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal