Author Topic: Split From, Re: 09 SR2 assembly log... Aka Jeffco, Ya right..  (Read 29257 times)

Admin

Re: Split From, Re: 09 SR2 assembly log... Aka Jeffco, Ya right..
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2009, 06:45:46 AM »
Anything is worth a try tho.Nothing like band-aids all over the place.LOL!!!!

Maybe a few tampons will cool the chain... Thanks yoshi, Ill never think of an oil leak the same again...

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2009, 06:54:37 AM »
Quote from: arrowhead @ MBN

I have witnesses! 950 sand miles on the same chain

There is a short piece of hose that blows directly on both sets of open chain

Delete this post or whatever you feel fit to do but I DO NOT BELIEVE THIS MAN.  Period.He needs to stop SAYING he has proof of anything and begin POSTING proof . I for one am tired of his claims and if questioned about anything going into a defensive mode instead of putting up info. I know there are many that disagree with me  tho.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Admin

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2009, 07:21:11 AM »
Quote from: arrowhead @ MBN

I have witnesses! 950 sand miles on the same chain

There is a short piece of hose that blows directly on both sets of open chain

Delete this post or whatever you feel fit to do but I DO NOT BELIEVE THIS MAN.  Period.He needs to stop SAYING he has proof of anything and begin POSTING proof . I for one am tired of his claims and if questioned about anything going into a defensive mode instead of putting up info. I know there are many that disagree with me  tho.

O, I agree 100%... Put up or shut the fxxk up IMO...

Offline Yoshi

Re: 09 SR2 assembly log...
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2009, 07:29:56 AM »
I think exposed chains on higher HP rails are BS. WAY too many people have way too many issues with them. Does anyone really feel that some piss ant fan will blow more air across the openly exposed chain than a 70-100 mph run will? Ummm,OK.
It's all about airflow man.  I was making some runs up the street a few months back before I took a rail to the dunes.  I would make one pass up the street, turn around, romp it back down to the shop and my temp gauge started getting really high and when I stopped, it would puke antifreeze all over the place.  Now, my radiator is mounted at an angle, but it is in direct airflow, but the fan not kicking on  was causing the motor to overheat.

The location of the chain has pretty much zero airflow, it is in the center of the rail, and in the Jeffco's case, about a foot off the bottom of the chassis.  There is no real airflow, even at 100 mph.  I'm sure it gets a  breeze, but nothing enough to pull the heat off the chain. 

I don't feel putting a fan on there is anymore of a bandaid than putting a fan on the radiator, or running an oil cooler.  Parts get hot so you find ways to cool them down to prevent damage, that's all it is....

What I'm suggesting is a simple mod and a lot cheaper than the extremely complex idea everyone else is coming up with.......

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2009, 07:53:46 AM »
Put up the proof of what you say.Otherwise it is just another theory.The chain issues are REAL and documented everywhere.  BTW,yoshi,I have news for you . Most if not all radiator fans do nothing at all when a car is at speed. That is what a clutch on a fan is all about. Electric fans are usually not running at road speeds either. Natural airflow is all that is needed  along with a thermostat to keep the coolant from getting TOO COOL at road speeds. But ,that aside, you are trying to compare apples to oranges again.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2009, 07:54:42 AM »
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Yoshi

« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2009, 08:07:12 AM »
Put up the proof of what you say.Otherwise it is just another theory.The chain issues are REAL and documented everywhere.  BTW,yoshi,I have news for you . Most if not all radiator fans do nothing at all when a car is at speed. That is what a clutch on a fan is all about. Electric fans are usually not running at road speeds either. Natural airflow is all that is needed  along with a thermostat to keep the coolant from getting TOO COOL at road speeds. But ,that aside, you are trying to compare apples to oranges again.
Would you mount a car radiator sideways, in the back of a vehicle directly behind the bumper without a fan? Key word here is again, airflow.  An oil cooler does absolutely no good if it's not in airflow or has a fan, which is why I don't run oil coolers in the stock locations, the heat off the headers will cook the oil quicker than not having an oil cooler at all, and there is no airflow cause the firewall is right there.  What airflow does make it to the back of the rail blows the heat off the engine straight into the chain, i'm sure you've noticed when you stop the motor heat warms up the back of the seats, even with heat shield.

I know your a pessimist, but you really think it's impossible to believe that a fan will help dissipate the heat off a chain that is changing colors because of obvious heat issues?

standfast has been having a lot of problems with stretching chains, he setup a little oil drip for the last race he went to, and even though it made a mess, he said the chain never got hot.  A little oil was enough to cool the chain down, why wouldn't a lot of airflow?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 08:09:38 AM by Yoshi »

Offline Voodoochikin04

• Vip Eye candy Supplier!!
  • VIP
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2009, 08:22:48 AM »
so would a small duct from the side of the car run right over the chain help flow massive air on the chain at high speeds?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 10:46:15 AM by Voodoochikin04 »
"it's only when you have lost everything, that your free to do anything"

Offline Yoshi

« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2009, 08:49:39 AM »
so would a small duct from the side of the car run right over the chain help flow massive airflow on the chain and high speeds?
That was my initial idea to be as cheap as possible, the heat comes from high speed runs, so the duct would put that high speed air directly on the chain, and would more than likely take care of the problem....

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2009, 09:02:25 AM »
This is one of those times when I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything.I have my opinion and until someone PROVES me wrong there is no reason for me to discuss it with you or anyone.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2009, 09:09:01 AM »
That was my initial idea to be as cheap as possible, the heat comes from high speed runs, so the duct would put that high speed air directly on the chain, and would more than likely take care of the problem....
FWIW ,it's not just from high speed runs.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Admin

« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2009, 09:15:23 AM »
It is not the same as a radiator fan in the least, Rads have fins to induce cooling etc, I can see how a fan would help, But a 4" bilge fan... Taking a chain that blues to touch by hand? Cmon...

Offline Yoshi

« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2009, 09:21:57 AM »
FWIW ,it's not just from high speed runs.
I talked to Brian, he said it was only from extended high speed runs. 

Chain stretch and no color change tells me there is too much hp, but a chain that is changing colors and melting o-rings tells me it's from heat, so it makes sense to me that if you can cool the chain down, whether with direct airflow, or an oil drip, you will take care of the problem.

I'm not saying 100 percent it will work, but it sure makes sense to me.  I agree there is a chance it won't work, but with all the info known, i'm surprised you don't think there's a chance it will work...

If Enemy doesn't do it, I guess i'll be the guinea pig. I've got a 1700 pound rail with a motor putting out close to 450 hp, It may be an expensive test, but i'll run the rail normal and if it changes colors, i'll put on a new one and run it with the fan and see if it makes a difference.  A fan is prob. gonna be cheaper and less work to install, since i'll just build a chain guard and make some mounts for a fan.

Offline Yoshi

« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2009, 09:27:34 AM »
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 09:30:34 AM by Yoshi »

Offline Hammerworks

• Fabricator
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2009, 10:31:36 AM »
Actually Standfast measured his chain and it was only like .050 longer,i think he determined the sprockets were wearing.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal