Author Topic: We have carnage.. Bugs Drak..  (Read 15288 times)

Admin

Re: We have carnage..
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2009, 07:13:43 AM »
Do you think the wheelbase change will have much affect?  It will put more weight on the front.  Also if you move to far back, it will affect how the lateral rods are set to lean forward.  I wonder why they did that instead of running the axles straight out?  Was it to shorten the wheelbase for better turning?  Even though they could not shorten the motor/FNR combo, the axles leaning forward allowed the wheelbase to shorten.

What is the wheelbase?  Looks like quite a bit more than a pilot.

Dont know the numbers but its a good 16" longer probbaly...

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2009, 09:58:52 AM »
now you see why I tend to overbuild shit.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Admin

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2009, 12:24:13 PM »
another

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2009, 01:06:00 PM »
I see what the car looked like....  I can imagine what you looked like.  ;D

IMO moving the shock closer to the wheel will reduce the twist induced into the rear carrier.  If that carrier somehow came up over the tire and the shock was mounted centered above the tire, the only forces that the two rear bars would have to control would be side loads from cornering.  But the further that the shock moves from the center of the tire, the more twist put into the carrier.  The force on the tire is pushing up, the shock is pushing down.  The twist is controled by the two rear links.

The pictures that BuggyBaz posted shows how the breakage is occuring.  The tubes the shock mounts are attached to are separating from the rear carrier.  The gussets that he added to make the shock mount rigid to the rear carrier portion were exactly the right thing IMO.  the only thing I would add is possibly some boxing to tie the front and rear shock tabs together better, because the front one is still mostly just attached to the two tubes.  If the gusset he added went on over to tie both shock tabs together, and to the carrier it would be great.

Moving the shock location could reduce the stress on both the inner and outer mounts.  I can't really tell by the pictures, but it seems that the spring cup is only an inch or two below the edge of the carrier / tube.  If the shock mount were raised enough to get the spring cup above the tube, you could then move outboard an inch or two reducing the twist on the rear links.  If at the same time you were high enough to move back a bit, and get the mounts right on the boxed portion of the rear carrier, it would be a bonus.  That might raise the bottoming heigth while reducing stress on the mounts.

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2009, 01:10:51 PM »
Quick question, when you nail the throttle from a standstill, does that thing squat or stand up and go?

The Arm running forward has no torque induced into it by motor power (except the bearing drag) so the only lift it would get is due to the amount that the arm is at an up angle from horizontal.  It doesn't look like much.

bige

« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2009, 03:03:40 PM »
wow, that sucks,  we rode the utv track alos. thats fun.  we came across a red pilot sunk in the mud, a atv pulled him out, Bob went around the hole but didnt want to jumop the stump he did so a few guys moved a downed tree for me

Admin

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2009, 03:11:53 PM »
Yup that was betel, that mud hole got wollered out terribly bad... I think Hoodlum went back with his razr and rescued him, right after that betel hit a stump and put the pilot on its side, that sucked to as it did some damage...

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2009, 03:27:38 PM »
The Arm running forward has no torque induced into it by motor power (except the bearing drag) so the only lift it would get is due to the amount that the arm is at an up angle from horizontal.  It doesn't look like much.

I was thinking less about how the damage occured and more about the reasoning behind the tires being forward of the center carrier.  I know it has been discussed before so I will keep my thoughts to myself.  I got the answer I needed.
This post has been edited due to content.

Offline MC

• Fabricator
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2009, 04:18:49 PM »
I have seen a number of that style arms crack and crack and crack there. I think theres a lot more flex going on then was designed for.

Admin

« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2009, 04:39:17 PM »
I agree, I am more worried about reducing the force on the chassis myself... I really should just convert it to a 5 link and be done... But i will likley just fix this for now..

Offline thedoctor

• Fabricator
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2009, 09:14:49 PM »
I am curious, was that mud in the frame tube or rust? If it is rust, does the frame have vent holes? I have seen this in quad frames before. I have put saddles[larger diameter tube welded on] where mounts go on tube I don't think is thick enough. I have also seen tube used as a gusset on the outside of tab to distribute load. You have probably thought of these repairs already, just throwing out ideas. tim
In the words of my father "Never give up too soon, you might miss a good piece."

Admin

« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2009, 09:19:41 PM »
It was just mud, I likely will put a larger piece of tubing over the hole, I will then get my buddy :) to waterjet me some plate work so all 4 attach points are connected together... And spread the load through the chassis..

bige

« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2009, 05:19:11 AM »
maybe Mike will let us have an event on the utv track, all you guys can come down and show the side x side guys what its all about :)

Hoodlum

« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2009, 05:57:49 AM »
Hey Bug,was a pleasure meeting you in the flesh, and hope to see you again soon...We talked yesterday, and I think we will be back around the second weekend in Sept.....Had an awesome time!!!!! Got home around 8 last night, so today I get to unload all this crap!!!! It's worth it though....
Hoodlum

Admin

« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2009, 06:56:11 AM »
Glad you made it home safely. I will look forward to another trip, All tho you can always come again before Sept even with no large group.. ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal