Author Topic: car derived sxs  (Read 52075 times)

Offline Baloo

Re: car derived sxs
« Reply #120 on: March 10, 2019, 01:45:00 PM »
well l like the double wishbone suspension set up,  not big travel but probably enough for what I want,
they are easy to bolt into a frame   and they are so cheap over here due to them suffering from rust issues to the body shell, no one wants to weld them up or they arnt worth doing   you can buy one for a couple hunded pounds/dollars  and there are turbo and supercharged versions to be had,

I went with a base layer of 2"x2" box section

« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 03:26:02 PM by Baloo »

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #121 on: March 10, 2019, 04:12:55 PM »
I like it. All the hard stuff is already done.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Baloo

« Reply #122 on: July 31, 2020, 08:07:31 AM »
hello boys   hows things over there ?

cant remember where i got to posting wise  5:   amongst my  half dozen projects   i have one using mx5 front and rear suspension
i have been progressing that one while i waiting for bits to arrive for one of the others
heres a few pics  to bring it back up todate

Offline Baloo

« Reply #123 on: July 31, 2020, 08:09:24 AM »

Offline Baloo

« Reply #124 on: July 31, 2020, 08:11:22 AM »

Offline Baloo

« Reply #125 on: July 31, 2020, 08:13:26 AM »

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #126 on: August 01, 2020, 08:52:20 AM »
looks like you've made some progress!
Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

Offline Baloo

« Reply #127 on: August 02, 2020, 12:03:31 PM »
hi

well ive added in some more tubes   not sure its progress lol,  ive been running  a standard car round my track and i dont think the suspension is going to be up to it at anything other than walking pace,  i think i need long ravel but this is the uk   and there is  no ready available stuff  on the market   and our idea of long travel is probably your idea of short travel lol

what is you sell dsrace ?l

« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 12:06:53 PM by Baloo »

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #128 on: August 02, 2020, 12:09:44 PM »
i dont really sell anything anymore. i still have the jigs to build a a rm front ends.  i/we ( dts) can explain how to build longer travel components but you will need shocks to match.

Offline Baloo

« Reply #129 on: August 02, 2020, 12:40:28 PM »
im just working my way through your posts on suspension you seem to know your stuff

i think what i would like is something like a honda pilot but 50% bigger so i fit in it , as for suspension travel i think 12" would be plenty ?
front is pretty much A arm   but the rear is more tricky as i would like to use a car engine and box which is fairly wide leaving less room for A arms or at least they would be pretty short  which rather defeats the aim ?  so maybe  trailing arm at the back ?
any help in designing  something would be much appreciated
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 12:56:28 PM by Baloo »

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #130 on: August 04, 2020, 04:38:25 PM »
lol well hond pilots are pretty small lol dont get me wrong, pilots are/were a blast!  so do you have any pics of the trans box you have in mind?  so trailing arms (ta's) are not as simple as people think but the easiest to set up, maybe. they are definately the most limiting in the grand scheme of suspension geometry.  post up a few pics and i and everyone else will pitch in on some ideas.  if you build a rear cradle like you have in the pics above then the sky is the limit!

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #131 on: August 04, 2020, 04:41:38 PM »
any sources for fox or king shocks over your way? i would assume so or are there any sxs junk yards or used parts for sale? most of the sxs 1000cc or turbo 1000 units are 1700lbs to 2000 plus lbs depending. stock shocks on 24" travel units are typically 12" stroke or 10" on 20" travel units. so these would be viable options if those are easier to come by.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #132 on: August 04, 2020, 04:43:41 PM »
if you do have sources for those then i would target the 2.5 podium series or atleast the 2.5 body shocks. those will offer better options especially for 12" of travel which i think may be to little but hey it your project lol  i would shoot for 16 to 18" and i think thats acheivable.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness

Offline Baloo

« Reply #134 on: August 05, 2020, 07:04:08 AM »
Hi

well im thinking rear engine as it might make the buggy smaller overall ?  engine choice is pretty much wide open  any front engined modern car will work i guess,   i have a choice of 2 or 3 kicking around the place  first is the rover K series  as found in the back of an mgf so its already set up for cable gearchange and hand brake on the rear calipers, its big plus is that its all aluminum so a very light engine which is why lotus used it guess    and a turbo version is found in the rover 75 car

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rover_K-series_engine

i also have an audi/vw  4 cylinder turbo engine and box   this will make heaps more power than the rover but its cast iron and weighs considerably more    and if i really want to i also have a golf Vr6 2.8    that will have instant grunt and no turbo lag  but how much power do you need ?    i feel the  the rover  K series will work with around 140 hp ?   the golf is more like 240 hp

golf engine looks like this    fairly narrow front to back with the ancillaries removed   so could the A arms run down in front and behind it to make them a reasonable length ?  but what would they mount to ? 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal