Author Topic: 5 link rear sandcar suspension  (Read 54279 times)

Online fabr

• Administrator
Re: 5 link rear sandcar suspension
« Reply #90 on: July 14, 2018, 08:02:54 PM »
I ordered axles way too long. Did I read on here to measure axles: with axles straight, level with ground, measure from back edges of both cv's, then add 1/2"? Also, what is the width of your cars from outside edges of paddle tires?

I have 2 @ 64" (flippin sxs's  5:),1 @ 90(IIFC) and 1 @ 98ish/paddles-96 with dirt tires. These numbers aren't exact but close enough.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 08:06:05 PM by fabr »
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #91 on: July 14, 2018, 09:13:25 PM »
fast ( glenn) has provided the right info on axle length. with a 5 or 6 link i have measure from cv flange face ( where cv mounts to) to the same surface on the otherside and added 1/2" to 1" depending on cv's. that has alway gotten myself very close and the rest can be adjusted through the links. now with that being said i also always go 28" for max width. on this last conversion i do have to change tires and it is a paint but not the end of the world. 
Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #92 on: July 14, 2018, 09:23:23 PM »
i should meantion last time i measured the axles that way i wound up with rods 3/8" short but 3/8" is a same amount to adjust out with those 6061 sweded rods. or was for myaself.

Offline BrianN

« Reply #93 on: July 15, 2018, 07:03:23 PM »
OK. I will continue building the suspension, and measure for axles next. My axles will be shorter, I think, because I am using stub axles at the bearing carriers to convert from type 1 to 930. This saved me a bunch of money, because I already had hubs and brakes that I like. I am fitting tubes to locate the links, now. Gonna be trial and error for a while, but that is how I work!! Darn, it is hot. Luckily, I still have my brothers tube bender. He is what a consider a real fabricator. He has built stuff, including race cars and exhaust (a special art in my opinion), that will blow your mind. Did I mention it is hot here? Looks like my width will be 86". I use an aluminum flat bed trailer. Looks like I will widen my front end, but that is in the future.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #94 on: July 15, 2018, 09:02:38 PM »
type on stubs do add width as they are longer than micro stubs.

Offline BrianN

« Reply #95 on: August 05, 2018, 09:07:27 PM »
Trying a few ideas for connecting links. Nothing definite yet, but this might look and work good, hopefully. I bet you guys realize how much time something this simple can take!! And may not work.

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
« Reply #96 on: August 06, 2018, 04:22:59 AM »
Trying a few ideas for connecting links. Nothing definite yet, but this might look and work good, hopefully. I bet you guys realize how much time something this simple can take!! And may not work.

NO NO NO on a grand scale Brian.  No way in God's green earth that a tube welded to the bearing housing will withstand all the force that will be applied to it. You will need some kind of a bearing housing around the bearing carrier.  The top transvirce arm has way to much leverage on that set up you are planing now.  Add in the factor of you will warp the hell out of the bearing housing buy the time you get it all welded up. 

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #97 on: August 06, 2018, 09:58:27 AM »
Go back to page 1, study those pics DS posted.  Bolt that bearing carrier into what DS has posted up and bamm.  Shoot he prob has some 5-link carriers laying around if the center hole and bolt pattern can be made to work.
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Offline BrianN

« Reply #98 on: August 06, 2018, 10:29:47 AM »
I am not welding to the bearing carriers. I turned a flanged hub out of 4140 that slips over and bolts on to the aluminum bearing housing. In my vision, all link connections and shock mount will be gusseted together. All parts are 4130 except for the double shear plates, and they will be sleeved. I am not giving up, yet.

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #99 on: August 06, 2018, 11:44:44 AM »
 ^^^^ That is what I was seeing. Carry on.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #100 on: August 06, 2018, 12:23:10 PM »
I assume you know that 4140 WILL need to be annealled or heat treated  after all welding is done? Since other attachments will be 4130,annealing or normalizing would be the preferred.Just my .02
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 12:25:16 PM by fabr »
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #101 on: August 08, 2018, 11:10:04 AM »
based on the photo unto itself i would have to ask if your shooting for a 5 link or 6? i ask because it looks like theres an upper and lower on the back side. so it will be an L shape then rather than a triangle as far as placement?  i like the sleeve idea and i get it as you purchsed the aluminum carriers rather than steel so nice idea to continue using them. i do have 4 multi link box's still. it would be easy enough to mod for a 5 link but they are currently set up for 6 link. easy to mod though.

now if you were going to make all points as pictured i would have to warn not to as that will fold. i saw your post stating your going to connect all points together and brace. thats the pic i would like to see even if you use cardboard to mock it.

Offline BrianN

« Reply #102 on: August 08, 2018, 09:36:49 PM »
I wanted 6 link, but no room. It will be a triangle, with 2 in rear. I will post pics when one is finished.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #103 on: August 10, 2018, 07:07:56 AM »
brianN so i know you have studied a number of pics of diff 5 link set ups. 6 link is better imo but does get tricky to find the room lol   i know you said your building them in a triangle shape so not an L shape mount. so that must mean two on the back and one centered in the front?  if this is the case i do need to caution you on that as imo i believe the greatest load is at the bottom of the wheel so truly needs to be two links on the bottom supporting that load.  this is why most mount the upper centered over the wheel. i don't think you absolutely need to do that , which is why i asked if it would be an L shaped mount. 

on the carriers, just food for thought, here is a link https://www.appletreeauto.com/D.O.M-TRAILING-ARMS-STK-X-STK-TASTKxSTK/   for reference only. the way they take two pieces of 3/16" plate and box them in on the t1 hub. what if you did the same but put the plates in a break and bent the ends 90* then staggered to achieve your double shear? you could open that box all the way back to the round bolt flange for extra strength and weld nuts on the inners in those locations covered.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 07:19:36 AM by dsrace »

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #104 on: August 10, 2018, 07:43:26 AM »
you wouldn't have to box them in completely like the 3x3's in the pic and would need one longer than the other to get your double shear but i believe you know what i'm talking about.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal