Author Topic: And accident waiting to happen  (Read 8818 times)

Offline BDKW1

Re: And accident waiting to happen
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2013, 08:25:29 PM »
Man, you guys are scaring Me. I really don't want to go crawl under My trailer, but I might have to before heading down for the 1000. Nothing like finding a problem 200 miles south of the border........

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 08:43:31 PM by Dsrace »
Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2013, 08:59:23 PM »
I posted this on my post but still interesting

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2013, 09:02:19 PM »
I may have to crawl under my trailer. It's new with only 3 trips but that = 6000 miles. Some of the roads get pretty damn ruff. Last trip nice road with a ramp onto a bridge. Truck and trailer left the ground. Airborn!  Had to change pants next fuel stop.

Carl
You don't have springs on your trailer.  You have torsional axles.  Whole different ball game.  DS and I have springs and that is the problem.   Be a long time coming before you have a problem.

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2013, 09:04:52 PM »
and check out lipperts version and watch the leaf spring hangers that are welded to the frame... see how much they move!!  lippert btw bought dexter.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2013, 09:15:24 PM »
fast  here are the pics of the plates I used in the Monroe kit for my shock mounts on the axle. the kit also came with upper mounts to but I had to mod those. they are 1/4" thick as well
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 09:22:21 PM by Dsrace »

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2013, 09:51:17 PM »
Carl
You don't have springs on your trailer.  You have torsional axles.  Whole different ball game.  DS and I have springs and that is the problem.   Be a long time coming before you have a problem.
not necessarily. Torsion rubbers have a finite life also,especially if overloaded even a little.Overloading an axle or tire is easy to do since the torsion axles have no equalizing effect like spring axles do. It is critical that the pin height be spot on.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2013, 06:15:57 AM »
Carl
You don't have springs on your trailer.  You have torsional axles.  Whole different ball game.  DS and I have springs and that is the problem.   Be a long time coming before you have a problem.
Nope, I'm leaf sprung. 

That little toyhauler I had, it had shocks on it.  Maybe a little less bouncy than current trailer. 
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2013, 06:35:54 AM »
Nope, I'm leaf sprung. 

That little toyhauler I had, it had shocks on it.  Maybe a little less bouncy than current trailer.

That trailer of yours sets really low to the ground for being leaf sprung.  They must have the brackets tucked up under it pretty far.  You'll have to jack it up by the frame and let the axles and wheels dangle to see how lose things are.  Better yet just get a kit and put it on.  Got your buggy running good now so start on the trailer.

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2013, 06:39:57 AM »
fast  here are the pics of the plates I used in the Monroe kit for my shock mounts on the axle. the kit also came with upper mounts to but I had to mod those. they are 1/4" thick as well

Plates on my trailer are double that and still bending down from me hauling down on the nuts.   The big problem with a triple axle is the springs want to shift from side to side. That is what took out a new tire in 2010 on mine.  Twins don't have as much trouble with it.   I am having new plats cut out of .5 boiler plate with a tab on the side that will mount the shock. 

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2013, 08:09:03 AM »
The kit pretty dang cheap.  When turning a triple theres some serious drag on axle, front one from what I've read is worst.  4 axle stuff should prob only go in straight line. 

Mental note; dont put camera under trailer, you dont want to see what really happens.  But not surprising when you see how they are built.  When you see how they are put together, its amazing the roof and walls stay on at 80+ mph. 
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2013, 09:28:17 AM »
The kit pretty dang cheap.  When turning a triple theres some serious drag on axle, front one from what I've read is worst.  4 axle stuff should prob only go in straight line. 

Mental note; dont put camera under trailer, you dont want to see what really happens.  But not surprising when you see how they are built.  When you see how they are put together, its amazing the roof and walls stay on at 80+ mph.

rofl rofl yep and they require mods to to it more than once  rofl

Offline Dunebound69

• Time flies when drinking rum!
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2013, 09:39:05 AM »
My trailer runs on 7k, 3" drop axles. If I have problems with them I will likely go to straight Axles. My trailer is built like a brick s#(t house. 2" for sides and roof, with cross bracing. But it is heavy. I need to service my flat bed bad, ds can attest to that. Should do the enclosed as well.
Time flies when having rum!
Famous last words, Watch this
Government can not give you anything it dose not take from someone else first. When we stop laughing we start dying.
"When you stop doing things for fun you might as well be dead" Hemingway

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2013, 02:24:31 PM »
My trailer runs on 7k, 3" drop axles. If I have problems with them I will likely go to straight Axles. My trailer is built like a brick s#(t house. 2" for sides and roof, with cross bracing. But it is heavy. I need to service my flat bed bad, ds can attest to that. Should do the enclosed as well.

your drop axles are slipper springs and judging from the way they were built you won't have the issues the others do for quite sometime and yes you need to service you flat bed but i would wait til the snow flies  rofl rofl it will make it more fun making tunnels to get to it  rofl rofl

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal