Author Topic: toy hauler shock absorber kits  (Read 11363 times)

Offline fabr

• Administrator
Re: toy hauler shock absorber kits
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2012, 09:03:41 AM »
I don't know if my hauler is just heavy or what, but I don't get much bouncing from it. I am curious how you would mount the shock to the arm on a torsion type axle.
Ditto.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2012, 10:02:30 AM »
I would imagine similar to a vw beam arm. on really poorly poored or rough roads like IA or oklahoma I do get some bouncing and some is to be expected but it got so bad in IA is started bouncing us out of are seats kind of so that's why on the shocks plus to help with lean in the wind.
Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2012, 10:07:08 AM »
imo YOU WON'T SEE ANY BENEFIT from the shocks in the wind.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2012, 11:53:52 AM »
what i am referring to is when you get hit by a side blast and the camper or trailer leans over then a wind block and it stands up and bounces off the springs a bit and back which isn't that extreme but slowing it down is the goal anyway and minimizing any hop from rough roads.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2012, 12:33:34 PM »
Glad to say I have no issues like that. Maybe my 43 foot low rider is heavy enough to not be affected like that. On the way to/from Yuma following fast and his tall riding rig I didn't notice his being pushed over like that either. Bottom line,never been an issue with anything I ever pulled other than a very light 16' camper trailer. Hated that thing.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Dunebound69

• Time flies when drinking rum!
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2012, 04:52:43 PM »
I have not had an issue with bounceing. Now I have experieced it, but only on really crappy roads Iowa, and Oklahoma. I don't hardly feel the wind effects. But I have a long truck, crew cab long box. In all my years running to get cars for the dealership I learned that the longer the tow rig, the better it was going down the road. Just the big footprint.
Time flies when having rum!
Famous last words, Watch this
Government can not give you anything it dose not take from someone else first. When we stop laughing we start dying.
"When you stop doing things for fun you might as well be dead" Hemingway

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2012, 08:34:11 PM »
I haven't had any problems with this trailer either cause I haven't pulled it with my truck yet but with deano's truck on the crappy rd in iowa it did hop up and down a bit but never a side to side bounce of course his 5th wheel plate was locked down too, but I did feel that with the 35' bumper pull and just hoping with this upgrade never to feel it with this unit. of course this TH is 11'6" tall and the old one was 12'3" tall where the cargo trailers are more like 8'6" plus say 10" for ac? the TH's have taller side walls and wind has more control, I just want to slow the effects down and I know this will smooth the ride out. fabbr yours is torsion axles which are less bouncy than leaf's but dunes are leafs. the bounce forward and back was the worst imo and I never experienced that the bumper pull just the swaying issue which imo was due to too much tounge weight since they set it at 18%! so with the rail backed it the weight was amplified.  we'll see, i'm just hoping it smooths it out for the most part like pulling on I80 through ne.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 08:55:05 PM by Dsrace »

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2012, 08:41:53 PM »
 :i

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2012, 08:56:42 PM »
I posted the info and a q or 2 on a camper site to see what others have experienced, this was one reply.

dsrace wrote:

there seems to be real debate on whats better, st or truck tire but doesn't a truck tire have more side wall flex even the 3 ply side wall truck tires?

Yes, you are right. Bottom line is the LT tire has much greater capacity / reliability testing requirements via FMVSS than a ST tire. This means that in the real world the capacity numbers on an LT tire have a built in safety margin between 10 and 20% where as an ST tire capacity is the maximum capacity with little to no safety margin built in. The other important thing to note in the LT Vs. ST battle royale is that ST tires have a maximum speed rating of 65 mph. LT's are rated for higher speed limits seen in states like Nevada, Utah, Idaho, Montana, Texas and others....

Personally, I don't own any ST tire now and will only buy them under duress.. I did run the ST's that came on my Rage'N with one valve stem core problem from its birth in January 2008 to August 2011. I don't even have ST tires on my 3-rail dirt bike trailer -it has P- metric Falken tires that match up to the 2K axle rating. You do have to derate P-Metric tires for trailer use. Formula is "Capacity divided by 1.1 = Trailer capacity"

Back to the shock issue. My trailer has had Transmaster ST235/80R16 LRE 3500# rated tires and the current Bridgstone M895 LT235/85R16 LRE 3042# rated tires on it with the same shocks and towing stance set up. Axles are 6K rated. The trailer rides better with the LT's than the ST's. The ST tires "bounced" multiple times after hitting a roadway irregularity. Not an uncontrolled bounce but noticeable. The LT's don't bounce at all. they are calm and controlled. If you put both these tires side by side and inspected them, flexed them and lifted them -the choice is easy even for a layman without experience in fleet tire purchasing....Even the sales guy at Discount Tire finally understood what I was saying/doing once the tires were side by side.

Tire temps with my IR gun are lower too. Not a great difference seen but lower.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2012, 09:24:09 PM »
Better have a talk with your insurer before you go down that road choosing LT over ST tires..................
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

millbilly

« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2012, 02:08:45 PM »
If you want air......  http://kelderman.com

millbilly

« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2012, 02:39:56 PM »

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2012, 02:46:03 PM »
try again.................
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2012, 06:28:19 PM »
Better have a talk with your insurer before you go down that road choosing LT over ST tires..................

hadn't planned on changing just thought his info was interesting.  that $400 price for the shock brackets included the kyb shocks too btw.   everyone that has added shocks says it was a noticeable difference and would'nt go back. that's what I thought I would read I'm sure I'll feel the same!  I can see what he is saying as far as speed rating goes and from what I have read most are going to 17" rims for the shorter side wall I guess to minimize side wall flex. this would be a costly change and I don't see the need for it in my app but still interesting reading anyways.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 10:08:50 AM by Dsrace »

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2012, 06:29:46 PM »
try this.... http://kelderman.com/product/rv/trailer

thanks for the links but not what I was wanting to do, just shock absorption.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal