Author Topic: Welcome To The Future  (Read 6004 times)

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
Re: Welcome To The Future
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2018, 12:51:36 PM »
again-around 3 times the total torque at the tires in high gear with a 4.5ish rear gear 700+ lb.ft.v-8 engine at the wheels. 700x4.5=3150 lb.ft. Something to think about.

3 times the weight , well then need 3 times the tq lol
Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2018, 12:54:01 PM »
I know everyone thinks they put on a lot of miles in the dunes but don't really . I only put on about 200 odometer miles in 8 hours non stop driving last week. If I had been with our group it might have topped 300.

i agree we put less on that we think but if you put 100 miles on the odo based on front wheels that arent spinning ( or on gps which is what i guaged) then wheels spinning takes power which would be like more miles. none the less load is what drains the batts and sand is worse than hard pack. my point was that the actual run time isnt enough imo.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2018, 01:26:47 PM »
yxz odo is off the driveshaft,therefore accounted for wheel spin which there was plenty of . No paddles yet,had to run in 4wd.These things are in their infancy and tech is going to solve the issues for most needs. I agree though that for any serious distance there will need be a LOT of improvement and that might never happen. For most needs though 150 miles is more than enough for most any rides. Currently ,the only people that will buy these are ballers with more $$$$$ than brains but it will all trickle down to our level at some point.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2018, 01:32:10 PM »
I know everyone thinks they put on a lot of miles in the dunes but don't really . I only put on about 200 odometer miles in 8 hours non stop driving last week. If I had been with our group it might have topped 300.

i agree we put less on that we think but if you put 100 miles on the odo based on front wheels that arent spinning ( or on gps which is what i guaged) then wheels spinning takes power which would be like more miles. none the less load is what drains the batts and sand is worse than hard pack. my point was that the actual run time isnt enough imo.
Not so fast with that assumption. Once the wheels spin with an electric motor the amp draw will actually drop until traction is regained enough to require more power to keep spinning. With the weight of the batteries something like this will never be suitable in the dunes as much lighter machines are. That's a given.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2018, 01:56:34 PM »
Weight from batteries and motor.  if it would 150 miles in sand you drive all day charge at night.  cage is a bit fugly, but that torque is crazy.  i'd like to take for a spin...... :s
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2018, 02:16:20 PM »
Just ignore the car itself. Once this tech becomes readily available as components the real cars will come.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2018, 03:27:41 PM »

Not so fast with that assumption. Once the wheels spin with an electric motor the amp draw will actually drop until traction is regained enough to require more power to keep spinning. With the weight of the batteries something like this will never be suitable in the dunes as much lighter machines are. That's a given.

i shouldn't even meantion it in miles as there site does cause diff terrain will drain it faster or slower anyway. your right, once traction breaks there be less amp draw but still an amp draw eating power faster. i agree these werent designed for the dunes and yes once the tech gets better and  cheaper the real builds will start. until then 5300 lbs in a utv is just too much.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2018, 04:41:14 PM »

i shouldn't even meantion it in miles as there site does cause diff terrain will drain it faster or slower anyway. your right, once traction breaks there be less amp draw but still an amp draw eating power fasterand a gas engine will use more fuel.  5: Ultimately it's a trade off especially since most sxs's have pretty dinky gas tanks and likely have no more run distance. The issue will come down to recharge time and getting the battery weight down. i agree these werent designed for the dunes and yes once the tech gets better and  cheaper the real builds will start. until then 5300 lbs in a utv is just too much.
No argument there.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline DeepBusch69

« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2018, 10:18:48 AM »
There is a lot of new battery development in the works that are lighter,  noncombustible, faster charge, more energy density, and cheaper.  Some are a mix between a battery and a capacitor.  That will change everything with these electric vehicles. 

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2018, 11:01:26 AM »
Yup!
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Voodoochikin04

• Vip Eye candy Supplier!!
  • VIP
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2018, 12:45:34 AM »
Additional banks of capacitors could quick charge and be used for immediate fun... while the batteries can charge over night and supplement the total ride time. 
"it's only when you have lost everything, that your free to do anything"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal